Breaking axle bolts

Got a part # so I can check into those Dan? Got a buddy who works for Cat in BG Ky just up the road from me

At 400 horse I don't see how you're breaking axle bolts!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the silencer ring and "stack" all your "chips". This should get you there.:hehe:

Dan, have you paid any attention to whether or not it's breaking the same bolts every time? There may be something to that - because if there is any misalignment between the tapped holes and the corresponding axle hole, it could be stressing one bolt in particular....then when it goes there will be a domino effect.

Time for sharpie / paint pen and marking.

To have all the bolts stressed equally, the gap between the axle hole and the bolt should be consistent, hole-to-hole....and all holes concentric with their bolt. And in the best case, the hub face and the axle flange face should mate perfectly with zero gap.

And to answer the other question, one engineering rule of thumb is that the max allowable shear stress is a fraction of the tensile strength (like 0.65). So going up in the tensile strength is probably the right direction. However if anything is wrong with the joint, since the ductility of the high grade fasteners is low, if you do manage to reach yield stress, death will be sudden and quick!

Harmons cat bolts held up last night I had 2 good hooks. But I will say the broken stockers would have done the jod cause there was nothing to grab ahold of.

Dan, have you paid any attention to whether or not it's breaking the same bolts every time? There may be something to that - because if there is any misalignment between the tapped holes and the corresponding axle hole, it could be stressing one bolt in particular....then when it goes there will be a domino effect.

Time for sharpie / paint pen and marking.

To have all the bolts stressed equally, the gap between the axle hole and the bolt should be consistent, hole-to-hole....and all holes concentric with their bolt. And in the best case, the hub face and the axle flange face should mate perfectly with zero gap.

And to answer the other question, one engineering rule of thumb is that the max allowable shear stress is a fraction of the tensile strength (like 0.65). So going up in the tensile strength is probably the right direction. However if anything is wrong with the joint, since the ductility of the high grade fasteners is low, if you do manage to reach yield stress, death will be sudden and quick!

It shears them all! I have thought about using a filler that would go around the bolt in the flange to help take care of any misalignment.

It sheared them in back to back runs, I put some used bolts in for the 2nd run, I am hoping that they were just in bad shape.

OK, well, get back to me on which one lets go first and then we can fix your problem LOL

Thanks Mat, they made it through the last hook, I checked them and maybe one was just a little loose. I will keep my eye on them.

Thanks Mat, they made it through the last hook, I checked them and maybe one was just a little loose. I will keep my eye on them.

Are you loc-tite-ing them every time? I can't remember if you said so before.

I haven't locktited them yet. If they continue to loosed up they will get some loctite.

Back