Bypass Filter Mounting Location

4x4dually

I figured out where and how I'm going to mount the setup. I basically took the bolts out of the sway bar and put a mounting bracket between the bushing mount and the frame. I'll put the same backet thickness on the other side so the bar won't be twisted.

I just lack buyin' a Amsoil bypass filter and cutting the hoses to length once I get it all mounted up. A couple hydraulic crimps and it'll be good to go.

Just throwing this out there in case anyone else wants new ideas on where to mount filters. The hoses will just turn straight up into the OEM location.

The paint wasn't quite dry on the bracket. I get a little impatient sometimes. ;) The brass 90 on the end will allow me to drop a plug and let the lines and filters drain out into a bucket. Hopefully it will keep the mess to a minimum.

IMG_6581Medium.jpg

IMG_6585Medium.jpg

IMG_6586Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good. Where does one purchase the filter head?

Actually, it came from Signature600's shop. Just something he mentioned he had a few years back and sent to me. It has no markings on it so I have never determined who makes this one. It does say "made in USA" though. :)

The bypass side had a 3/4-16 thread on it so I had to find an adapter and make it work with a 1 1/16-16 filter. The Amsoil filter is larger in diamter than the fleetguard I have it mocked up with, but it will still fit and the o-ring on the top still lands on the boss.

I've been thinking about running a bypass kit but not sure which to go with. FS2500 or the Amsoil.

Got my EaBP100 filter from Mark (GotSmoke?). Man that is one big sob. :D

Attachments

• moto_0597.jpg
    moto_0597.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • moto_0598.jpg
    moto_0598.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
Finally got the last two hose fittings crimped yesterday. It is on the truck and running today. No leaks...thankfully. I'll give it a week and check out the oil again. It uppped the capacity to a full 14 quarts now plus the filters are in front of the motor and slightly behind the fan so it should act as a psudo oil cooler too. I'll get some more pics if I ever find somewhere to hang the front end of the truck over a cliff so the camera can focus on something.

Lets see some pics of it mounted!

I'll work on that. It is almost dark when I get home but I'll see what I can do. It worked out very nicely actually. Here are the two hoses it took. I went with full 2750 psi hydrualic crimped hoses. I couldn't bring myself to use hose barbs and hose clamps on the engine oil.

attachment.php

The filter housing on the motor is a tiny little thing. The outer o-ring on this adapter was to big of a diameter to touch it. It is only sealed by the inner o-ring. I wish it was doubled. It really needed machined out to use a standard oil filter seal IMO.

Attachments

• moto_0602.jpg
    moto_0602.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
I'll work on that. It is almost dark when I get home but I'll see what I can do. It worked out very nicely actually. Here are the two hoses it took. I went with full 2750 psi hydrualic crimped hoses. I couldn't bring myself to use hose barbs and hose clamps on the engine oil.

attachment.php

The filter housing on the motor is a tiny little thing. The outer o-ring on this adapter was to big of a diameter to touch it. It is only sealed by the inner o-ring. I wish it was doubled. It really needed machined out to use a standard oil filter seal IMO.

Sure hope it doesn't leak :)

Last edited:
Sure hope it doesn't leak

Not satisfied with the single o-ring. I think next oil change I might have it turned to accept the square seal off an old filter. I got a box of them. I always save them.

I'm gonna watch it close for a couple weeks.

attachment.php

that nice work!

I figured out where and how I'm going to mount the setup. I basically took the bolts out of the sway bar and put a mounting bracket between the bushing mount and the frame. I'll put the same backet thickness on the other side so the bar won't be twisted.

I just lack buyin' a Amsoil bypass filter and cutting the hoses to length once I get it all mounted up. A couple hydraulic crimps and it'll be good to go.

Just throwing this out there in case anyone else wants new ideas on where to mount filters. The hoses will just turn straight up into the OEM location.

The paint wasn't quite dry on the bracket. I get a little impatient sometimes. ;) The brass 90 on the end will allow me to drop a plug and let the lines and filters drain out into a bucket. Hopefully it will keep the mess to a minimum.

IMG_6581Medium.jpg

IMG_6585Medium.jpg

IMG_6586Medium.jpg

I see where you mounted it now. Looks good, however would it be worth while to put a piece to deflect any road debris from hitting the filters?

I see where you mounted it now. Looks good, however would it be worth while to put a piece to deflect any road debris from hitting the filters?

It is forward from the tires so I just don't see anything being able to hit it. It would have to be something that can come under the front bumper and get turned up at the exact right moment. I don't want a retarded skid plate under it to remove on every filter change like the wife's Toyota. :(

New problem. Just started this morning after running it for a few days.

The bypass flow is controlled by a steel ball bearing on a spring that basically holds back the flow to the bypass. When I got out to drop baby girl at school today, it sounds like the ball is oscillating in the housing...like a rapid hammer. My guess would be that after a few regen cycles, the oil has got diluted enough to allow the ball to close more and now it don't know com'mer from sick'em.

Does a harder spring or looser spring correct the issue? I've even thought about putting a hard plug in it with a hole drilled in it. That get rid of moving parts and controls flow at the same time.

What do ya'll'allz think is the best fix? I have an idea that the steel ball hammering the aluminum housing face may have destroyed the housing inside. Good thing is, all pieces should it shell will go to the bypass filter.

I could just take the ball out and run two full flow filters. Two is better than one, right?

Posting for those who might do the same.

I think I'll go the "non-mechanical" route.

Pics of a bypass setup that has a retrictive hole in a plug. Hole is between a 5/64 and 3/32.

attachment.php

The restriction is in the return path on the setup above. My original spring and ball is in the feed path. According to Amsoil's website, "It draws approximately 10 percent of the oil pump’s capacity at any one time" so I hope that has some tolerance. I'm guessing the diameter is sized to restrict the flow at the peak GPM of the oil pump at operating temp at the highest RPM...so about 80psi or so? Either way...going to modify tonight and not do any math. I hate math. ;)

The spring and ball is an active way to keep flows more stable between idle and WOT like the flapper on an exhaust brake.....but the spring would take more effort than I got in me today.

Order your amsoil stuff from "GotSmoke?". He has been a great help. :cheer:

Attachments

• 1354740463965.jpg
    1354740463965.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So I got it all modified. Let it warm up this morning for a while. Went outside...same noise. :bang Sometimes I wonder why I even try. It had quit by the time I got to town so I don't know what it is. The noise is coming from the housing somehow...or being transmitted to the housing.

I just took a 3/8NPT tap and ran threads inside the adapter. Then I drilled a plug with a .086 bit and screwed it in.

I saved the oil in the bucket shown below. It is only 3 days old and has been running through the Fleetguard and Bypass filters all three days. It already looks like a baby's frist poop. Very sad. How do these engines survive at all?

Attachments

• moto_0607.jpg
    moto_0607.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • moto_0608.jpg
    moto_0608.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
  • moto_0609.jpg
    moto_0609.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
  • moto_0611.jpg
    moto_0611.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • moto_0612.jpg
    moto_0612.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
So you bought a bypass kit and had to modify it?

No. I got an old one out of a members barn for free and modified it to work on this truck. If I'd have paid cash for a new one I would have been served papers and not seen my kids but every other weekend. LOL

Back