Cam choices.. suggestions

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
I'm in the middle of my rebuild and have been looking at a cam since it's apart.
Found Piers has a regrind for $575, and I seen somewhere else a Helix for $750 if I remember correctly..
Looking for recomendations.. Not a drag or pullin truck, just a daily driver with some upgrades in the future so I don't need a $2K billet cam or anything like that..

Thanks
Brad

I'd go with the F1 Diesel. They start with a billet, so it's designed properly from the get go.

And it helps spool the turbo up faster, along with netting you some cooler EGTs.

i have nothing but good things to say about my MAXSPOOL 1 camshaft. it has really exceded my expectations, and is much cheaper than the other stuff out there.:rockwoot:

DIESEL POWER said:
i have nothing but good things to say about my MAXSPOOL 1 camshaft. it has really exceded my expectations, and is much cheaper than the other stuff out there.:rockwoot:
sorry dude but I can't get my hopes up on a reground camshaft......Lets see the durability length on these Compy Cams:hehe: :bang

My vote goes to the fresh blank- F1 Injection High Helix series... He starts with a fresh unused blank not a stock core thats been reground....

Last edited:
^^^^

I agree...start with a blank slate, and cut whatever profiles you want..without any compromises.

RacinDuallie said:
sorry dude but I can't get my hopes up on a reground camshaft......Lets see the durability length on these Compy Cams:hehe: :bang

My vote goes to the fresh blank- F1 Injection High Helix series... He starts with a fresh unused blank not a stock core thats been reground....

DrSpeed mentioned billet, maybe I'm mis-reading this into it, but I thought for a billet cam there was block machining to be done. Something about having to run rollers with a billet cam...?? Or is he just meaning to say a fresh blank..?
I'm not real thrilled about a regrind either, but these are the 2 options I have found so far. Google searches don't return a whole lot of diesel performance parts other than exhaust systems... :blahblah1:

And Diesel Power, can you give me a little more info on this MaxSpool cam??
Where to get one, how much, or a website to check out??

Thanks guys
Brad

Ridemywideglide said:
DrSpeed mentioned billet, maybe I'm mis-reading this into it, but I thought for a billet cam there was block machining to be done. Something about having to run rollers with a billet cam...?? Or is he just meaning to say a fresh blank..?

Hehe...yeah, forgive my brain fart there:

From f1diesel.com:

Helix 2: ..... This cam is ground from a new blank casting and is not a regrind. ....Cam failuers and gear walk have been indicated in even stock Cummins engines using the P7100 pumps that used the press-on gear system. Bolt-on gears fix this potential trouble in high performance applications.

DrSpeed said:
Hehe...yeah, forgive my brain fart there:

From f1diesel.com:

No worries, just wanted to make sure.. I'm trying to soak all this up but it's alot at once. It's my first Cummins so bear with me.. :doh:

:Cheer:

kind of like these , good before and after pictures , of the cast iron cam vs a cummins cast steel factory cam . If you knew much about cams you would under stand that all cams start as a UGL and the bigger you want the cam the more you grind on the back side of the lobe. Meaning you can take a small cam and grind more off the same spot on the hell of the cam and achieve more lift and duration. This would be the exact same results as grinding the cam to the bigger specs from the beginning. No grinding thru the heat treat as some might state. If that was so then any cam would grind thru the heat treat on a UGL

Last edited:
(QUOTE DONM)For the record, We dont regrind any used or even any brand new previously ground cams. We get the brand new cams with rough lobes, unground lobes and have our profile ground on them. Profiles we developed in conjunction with two seperate companies who produced all the masters we had made. Our lift specs, our duration, lobe centers, ramp rates, etc. This was NOT by accident and NOT some copies of others cams.

Our cam blanks are made in a foundry, for us, to our specs of hardness using the material ( chilled ductile iron ) we chose. They arrive with lobes that are rough as a cob and huge. This was decided on years ago when we saw previously ground cams going flat from grinding through the hardness layer produced in a chilled iron casting method.

We have a 51 Rockwell harness on the lobes. The hardest you can get with this alloy when poured into a water chilled mold. This is why we have never lost a cam, even under harsh conditions. This 51 is compared to 45 and under on regrinds. I have seen and hardness tested regrinds here at 39 RC. Good enough for a short term solution to get a cam sold, but not for a lifetime part.

If the truck has no real purpose other then a daily driver with a little bit of power then why do you want to do a cam? The money could be spent other places.

Just curious.

inline6359 said:
If the truck has no real purpose other then a daily driver with a little bit of power then why do you want to do a cam? The money could be spent other places.

Just curious.

The money can always be spent elsewhere.. I just don't see blowing $1500 on a larger turbo down the road when there is no improvement to flow. If these were gas motors, the first thing done would be a cam. I keep hearing about adding more air, more air.. What's the biggest controller of how much air you can feed it??
Plus many reported with a cam upgrade there's a pretty good mileage gain, and it's apart right now so it's easy to take care of..

Thanks
Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running a Max Spool 2 - got rid of the Helix 2. I'm sure it's a fine cam but I had my reasons.

STAY AWAY FROM REGRINDS!! i have personal experience with a bad regrind and know of a few others. everything was replaced no questions asked once the problem was found! personally i dont care what anyone says about regrinding a cam is ok, i dont like to pull a cam that i just put in. i will only get burned once, all confidence in regrinds is down the pooper!

Back