Can I spool a super b special?

GFB

Hungover
I originally wanted a set of BD twins but have been saving for another big purchase, so those plans were set aside. Well, I recently discovered the old 35 is on its way out and I need to do something. I could get a super b and upgrade to twins later, but also thought of just buying a special and some head studs and being done with it (for a while anyway ;)). The most I ever tow is about 5-6k, rarely. I've never driven a truck with a big single, but I expect the road manners take some time getting used to. Will I end up with a smokey mess wishing I would have gone smaller, or will I be happy that I have room to grow? I'd like to get the adrenaline eventually too, but need to take care of this first.

Reason for considering the special???? I found a slightly used one for sale for the same price I can get a super b new.

Now quite sure how big the super b special is but I don't see why you should have an issue spooling it. Especially with a stick.

Yeah from what I've read it's basically a 64/71/14 but according to BD the extended tip compressor technology wizardry makes it superior to HTT and II's similar turbos.

My main concern is only having good power available for a short rpm range, like only from 2500+. That doesn't make a fun daily driver. Peak torque right now is at 1800 rpm, but of course it gets really hot with the wire tap on. I'm not sure if the little super b will keep the EGTs in check either.

IMO You should be able to spool it. I would go for it! If you decide you want to get the BD twins a little later down the road you could just sell the Super B Special, turbos don't really lose much value.

Take this FWIW but I had an HTT QD which is basically the same thing (64/71/14). My fueling was a smarty/drag stack, mach 6's, Fass and the other supporting stuff. If I would nail it, it would kind of smother the turbo. If I rolled into it until about 1600-1800 (which for me was about 10 psi) I could nail it and have instantaneous spool from there on. With the larger low drive pressure exhaust wheel the turbo will be "slow" to 10psi but once it hits 10, spoolup will be just as good as stock, from my experiences.

Our setups our fairly different but this gives you an idea of how the turbo behaves with the mods I have listed. You dont have quite as much fuel, and without a smarty your bottom end fueling is most likely not as aggressive so I would expect your spool to be slightly later.

This is just what I have experienced, your truck may be very different. Also with a stick you can drive around what would normally be a laggy turbo on an auto by selecting the proper RPM range.

Hope this helps, good luck with your decision,
-Alex

Also if you want more specific info about how the turbo acts in different conditions/ or any more specific questions let me know. Also another variable between our trucks I forgot to mention, my truck is a NV5600 which right off the bat gives me a tighter gearing ratio between shifts. Also I have 4.10 rears, not sure what you have. But this set up gives me a ridiculous amount of bottom end. I start in 3rd just regular driving with no throttle (if I want).
-Alex

I run one on my truck with an auto, no complaints yet. We'll see how it does in the humid mid summer heat.

I'm running the aggressive tune on the XZT+, which what I've heard from others, fuels just as hard as the smarty. I'm not sure how much (or rather little) fueling the ottomind really does--I lost 30hp and 110 ft/lbs on the dyno when I turned off its wire tap.

I have the 3.54 rear and run 35's. I'm starting to think this isn't a good combo for such a large single. Yes, the manual tranny helps but I'm not going to cruise around town at 2000+ rpm all the time.

So, if you start a WOT run--how long until the turbo lights? Do you have to drive with an egg under your pedal to keep the smoke under control?

This is going from memory...my current turbo is a silver bullet....but from a stand still WOT run the turbo would fully light at probably around 2000rpms (I think). With any large turbo (unless you are underfueled or have twins) you will have to baby it at least somewhat around town to keep smoke at bay. You probably wouldn't have to do this near as much with a 62. If your not changing your fueling setup, I personally would go with a 62. It would most likely keep you plenty cool and spoolup would be a good deal quicker. IMHO I dont think your current fueling really NEEDS a 64. Could you run it, sure. But I think it would be a sweeter setup with a 62. Now if you are leaving yourself room to grow, that is understandable, or if you want to try and get big PEAK horsepower for the dyno the 64 would be better. But if you want a nice daily driver with good power under the curve and good spool go with a 62. Then if you decide to go big later you can keep it and add an S400 or larger under it and have some sweet twins. If spoolup is this big of an issue for you I would be safe and go with a 62. Driving around at 2000rpms doesn't bother me because on the highway to be doing over 60 I have to do this anyway, so it really didnt change my driving habits that much other than being easier on the go pedal.

This of course is JMHO.
-Alex

Thanks guys.

Haloman---small steps ease the $$$ shock with the wife lol. Turbo first, then more fuel.

Anyway, I run across a super b on cumminsforum from a guy parting out his wrecked 94. I'll start with it and likely upgrade to twins later so I can have the best of both worlds.

Go ahead and get it. That way when you add more fuel you won't have to worry about out growing your turbo.

I agree, like I said above, if you plan on upping your fueling go with the special. With the right amount of fuel a 64/71/14 is sweet!

Go ahead and get it. That way when you add more fuel you won't have to worry about out growing your turbo.

The price was right for the super b so I just pmed him back told him I want it. I don't want a dyno queen or a sled puller. I want a fun daily that might see some track time, but it won't be a lot since the 5 speed doesn't equate to decent 1/4 times. I think twins will be what I'm looking for.

So, if you start a WOT run--how long until the turbo lights? Do you have to drive with an egg under your pedal to keep the smoke under control?

I just drive around like normal, truck never smokes more than a very slight haze.. On a WOT run I can fully plant my foot before 1800 rpms. I don't drive my truck like a gasser so I don't just firewall the pedal from a dead stop. Good luck with whatever turbo you get.

Back