Can someone school me on airflow?

Power

My 96 12v rat rod is fast but I think it should be faster. I'm running AD150lift pump, 7x12 inj sac nozzle, no fuel plate, afc mods, 4k PAC springs, 60# springs, s300 62 mm single, ported head, nv4500 etc.

I'm wondering if this could be a major restriction point on my current build? I'm also n the process of doing twins with a s475 primary... Thoughts?

I bought a cheap eBay intercooler The info I have on the current one is

eBay

*Compress Air Flow Rate: <350Cubic Feet/Min,

*Rated to 500 Max HP

*Working Pressure:5~50PSI

*Pressure Drop:
2~5psi@35psi

Hot Air Temperature: 32°F~302°F (0°C~150°C)

The one that I was inquiring about is

Threadstone

-Overall length 28"
-1050 CFM flow rate
-666 HP efficient
-Less than 1.5psi pressure drop at max flow

Your total airflow is limited by the turbo. So what ever your primary is, I would match the intercooler to that CFM.

With a flow rating of 350cfm I would bet that is your restriction. Giving rule is 1cfm per 1hp. S475 is roughly 1000cfm depending on configuration.

Ok so where n the world can I get a 1000-1200 cfm intercooler that's no longer than 27" wide x 12" tall?

When is it necessary to even run an intercooler? I live in south tx where it's needless to say blistering hot. I'd like to take this rat rod on road trip 350 mi type trips. Other than that it's a hot rod to drive 3 times a wk.

30" length will not fit between shock/light towers in my rig. Might have to do one of three things...

A) get a custom one made but that's huge bucks I think.

B) run water/air inter cooler... Those are typically smaller in size but how do they do in the street?

C) don't run run at all... I'm mainly running one bc I'm wanting to keep my hood. I can just run 3" pipe around the front straight to intake and bypass any intercooler. Not sure what that would do to my egt temps though.

30" length will not fit between shock/light towers in my rig. Might have to do one of three things...

Ah, see I was thinking the 30" long outlets would go wherever the pipes are passing through and the rest of the tank which is narrower would fit.

A standard cover S475 is rated at 1050hp. You will be well over the 50psi rating of your current intercooler. The setup you have now really doesn't look that bad given your space limitations though. If there is a place that looks weak on the end tanks of the intercooler and you can tig then reinforce them if you can.

That being said if you run a temporary boost gauge before the intercooler and after then that will tell you what you need to know.

A slightly smaller than ideal intercooler size just might be a compromise that you have to deal with on your platform.

A bell or treadstone core would be a nice starting point for an upgraded intercooler to fit your setup and gain efficiency if you really wanted to pursue an ideal solution.

I'd cobble together a crazy 1000 PSI water injection rig out of a pressure washer and nitrous solenoids.

It'd keep the big fragile finny thingies off your rat rod and replace it with something Mad Max looking.

What got my attention in the first place was the com rating on my current set up. With that low cfm won't that kill my twin set up? What are u thoughts of water:air set ups? Also just not running one at all? Or even a water meth?

Air/Water coolers are much more efficient and much more compact. For street driving, you'll want to add a reservoir somewhere in the rear so you have good weight bias for traction, then add a small radiator on the return water line so you can keep the water cool enough for longer street trips. If it was just a short trip setup 50miles or less, you could get away with just a water box that you add ice for the dyno or track outings. For long highway trips, you might get the water hot enough you'll have boiling issues.

Here's a fairly inexpensive water/air setup: http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/

Back