Can someone school me on airflow?

Bummer!!! The guy in front of me last wk didn't feel bad when his rig throw one and chipped my windshield.. Not to mention it was a white duramax that threw it at by black tundra .... Sounds like a hate crime lol

Stay air/air. The plumbing is a maintenance nightmare for air/water. I have a semi-custom intercooler in each of my swap trucks made by On 3 Performance. They'll custom build anything, have decent prices and they haven't failed me yet. http://www.on3performance.com/

I do have to vote in favor of keeping it simple with air/air. Just less to worry about. However there is no comparison for a race vehicle using ice in the water tank with air/water intercoolers. The colder the air the better.

I would also say running compounds with no intercooler is a very bad idea.
Your inlet air will be over 300 degrees at high boost. You could get away with no intercooler and water injection but it would need to be a serious setup.

I do have to vote in favor of keeping it simple with air/air. Just less to worry about. However there is no comparison for a race vehicle using ice in the water tank with air/water intercoolers. The colder the air the better.

I would also say running compounds with no intercooler is a very bad idea.
Your inlet air will be over 300 degrees at high boost. You could get away with no intercooler and water injection but it would need to be a serious setup.

Your inlet temp would be over 600 degrees at the normal 80+ psi you'd see with compounds on a 12 valve.

Two guys I know are run I g their rigs without intercoolers ... Wonder if they are just buying time?

Yeah, it has so much fuel it kind of acts like water injection....without nitrous that is. I have an intercooler from a Procharger kit you can try that might work.

Hey man, got your PM. First, let me be clear that I don't know if this will work or not. Just wanna be public about that lol. The intercooler I have is for a front mount mustang kit, and Procharger told me that they tested to 40psi with 0 failures. Would it hold at 70psi? I asked the same, they said "I dunno, try it!"

They go from $200-$300 on ebay, I'd take $150 plus shipping. Has very big tanks and passages through it, so I am thinking it was designed for flow in mind more than extreme cooling (like towing). It was designed for a P1SC kit, which is about 1300cfm, so it should meet your needs, just depends if you want to be the guinea pig for cheap used supercharger intercoolers.

I was going to put it on my first gen with a Six-Pack scoop, but if I haven't done it by now, I'm probably never going to do it. I would put it long-ways across the valve covers on top, opens up to all sorts of creative scoop options being a rat rod and all.

It looks like this, except for the 90 degree outlet.

Your inlet temp would be over 600 degrees at the normal 80+ psi you'd see with compounds on a 12 valve.

Compounds actually create less heat at the same boost. Weird, huh? Saw 450-ish with a single at 60psi vs 350-ish with compounds at 60psi. End of a 6-7 second dyno pull. 12 seconds down the quarter might get a little hotter!

Back