Casper new engine has arrived

IdahoRob said:
I've got engine envy.

One of the things we are going to do with the engine is to explore cylinder pressure control to make more power, more safely. There is no guarantee that a "built" engine won't blow either, so I'm hoping what I learn will translate over to stock engines. No secret squirrels here.

If we demand that folk buy a $20,000 engine to race their Dmaxes, we will effectively kill off the sport.

McRat said:
If we demand that folk buy a $20,000 engine to race their Dmaxes, we will effectively kill off the sport.

Good point.

I can't cage this new truck because of use, so I'll not need a full built unit. But I'll most likely tear into it and throw in some rods and valve springs so it'll live at running in the 11's. That will be a while yet, so I'll be testing the LBZ stock rods for a while, only going to run one modded pump until the rod upgrade though.

I'll really be interested in your cyl. pressure findings, sure would be nice to run the stockers.

Mcrat,

My engine mounts bolts broke also. We heated the nut on the back side and used vise grips to thread them on through then re-powdercoated them. I just uses some nice allen head bolts and stainless washers to finish it out.

To much loktight.

Yup, I heated them up and they came out. PITA though.

McRat said:
Thinking of running a Banks Dodge intercooler, and if we do, the A/C must die.

Must be a difference in the Dodge and GM intercooler offered by Banks? What is it?

Looked into the new Spearco intercooler? Thoughts?

C-ya

How will you measure cylinder pressure?? Through the glow plug passages?? Just trying to get an idea of how/where you'll be measuring this ;)

Looks like a lot of fun...but more money!
Chris

The Dodge cooler is far bigger than the DMax, but it's alot taller. Dunno if we can fit it.

As far as I know, the Spearco is still made of Unobtainium. They told me they would call me when it's available, but it will probably be too late. Very expensive experiment though, as I will have to pay full retail whether it does anything or not.

We are going to monitor cylinder pressure through the glowplug hole. Got all the stuff, and it works on a bench, but are waiting for Casper to get running to start playing with it.

BFD99 said:
any news?

They got him started last night. So hopefully they will get it buckled up and we will make Arizona tomorrow :woohoo:

How about vegas, if you're there, we're there. :woohoo: Even if we don't get problems with the truck fixed

Dieselson said:
How about vegas, if you're there, we're there. :woohoo: Even if we don't get problems with the truck fixed

I can't make any promises. Casper still hasn't been driven yet. So we will see how it goes. I just picked up more parts.

I will be happy if McRat doesn't hate me for buying him the LBZ block ;) Things would have been much simpler going with the LLY block he originally planed on using :bang

Casper is alive :woohoo:

Be back later got to go put more miles on him:rockwoot:

Back