common rail head on a ppump 24v

I figured if you are going through the trouble of cutting off the intake and putting a sheet metal one on, that you'd port the intake side. Is a ported CR any better than a ported VP head?

In stock form the CR head is about 10% better...give or take. I didn't cut the intake off mine, and only did some pocket porting, bowl blending and opened up the exhaust side, and gains were minimal. If your going to get crazy with the porting I don't believe the CR head is going to be much different the VP head.

I went with the CR head because I knew I wasn't going to cut off the intake or get too crazy with the porting and I wanted the best flowing head I could get in stockish form.

I have also been told the cr head has more "meat" available when cutting off the intake to attach a bolt on style to.

Mitch1.jpg

Mitch7.jpg

[/IMG]

look its the old jd green head haha. thats an old pic

ed15e04e.jpg

883f291f.jpg

879e825f.jpg

362df0cc.jpg

32a4c148.jpg

head pulled off and 12 valve setting ready to be tore into.

I have also been told the cr head has more "meat" available when cutting off the intake to attach a bolt on style to.

yes they do. the cast has a couple supports in it as well. Only one that comes to mind is the one cast between the push rod holes. VP heads don't have that support. sorry no pics handy.

here's a cr head, note between the push rod holes.
100_0351.jpg

Back