Complaints about parking fees and drunk retards

At our event in Portland (which was nowhere the size of Scheid but still had several thousand spectators), you were not allowed to bring in your own alcohol (could buy the overpriced stuff there), and there were "alcohol monitors" in the crowd to spot people bringing their own out of coolers. That rule (which is common at many dragstrips I have been to) seems to work well. There is an unwritten rule that they don't seem to check the racers rigs for beer, and the racers are very discrete about sneaking beers out of their coolers. Most racers will buy one of the overpriced beers from the concession stand, then save that cup to pour his own beer into later. The drunk idiots (who used to show up in ricers on weekends at our track) will usually go somewhere else where it's easier to get drunk.

I will be the first to admit i *****ed up a storm when we had to pay for parking for the weekend also. And again when i had to pay again when i went to the drag strip on sat when i had already paid for a weekend event pass. We travled from utah to this event and it was our first time. After talking to some of the racers in the pits alot of them gassers. They were happy for the most part for the event and are happy to have a track at all. They said it needs every penny it can get just to stay open! So i get it!

The parking i really get now. We showed up sunday morning and i couldnt believe the mess and how much people destroyed the place. People are jackasses and its going to ruin it for everyone! I talked to the lady at the gate and she was pretty upset and let us know thats why parking costs what it does. So if we keep acting like animals we will get charged for this since the parking has nothing to do with schied. It goes to the fair grounds!

Now having kids there is a whole differant subject. I have two 6 year olds that wanted to come with us really bad! After being there and seeing it, sadly thats not going to happen unless alot changes. Its to bad too becuase i know it would have been a great memory for them!

We came all the way from Utah and it was a shock to see how people were acting, alot has to do with age and some more due to the booze. If they want to race around and do burn outs thats what the track is for! Its just my opinion nothing more! I wish i had a better solution! We had alot of trouble with things like that out here to. But someone got killed at an event and they just stopped letting people bring stuff in at all. Which sucks also but it did stop alot of the problems. The sad part is its always the people watching and not the competitors but it ruins it for everyone else!

Now having kids there is a whole differant subject. I have two 6 year olds that wanted to come with us really bad! After being there and seeing it, sadly thats not going to happen unless alot changes. Its to bad too becuase i know it would have been a great memory for them!

I bring my 7-year-old daughter with me to many diesel events, but from the sounds of it I would not have brought her to this event. Most of the ones I have been to have been pretty well-controlled. I was just at the Edmonton event (formerly known as "August Blackout"), there were probably 6,000 spectators but none of the drunken obnoxious behavior described here. I did take her to the Arizona Diesel Nationals earlier this year, which had several thousand spectators, and she had a great time without worrying about drunken idiots. Indy was pretty bad in past years, but the last 2 years have been events I would be comfortable taking her to.

I guess my point is that there are some family-friendly diesel events out there. Hopefully this gets cleaned up enough to be one!

Couldn't agree more. My boys go to aleast a half dozen events around here and have a great time.

My 7 year old son wanted to come, and I almost let him. If he would have been there I prob would have loaded up sat night and went home. As much as I want him to be a part of it, that's not what it's about!

I've never seen anything at the Texas events that I wouldn't mind letting my 5 year old nephew come with me. The only time I've heard horror stories was about ts last year and scheids the last few years

From now on these events should be kept secret. Don't tell everyone. Just tell the cool people. Easy fix.

That's similar to what I was thinking. As we were watching the pulls from the top of the grandstands, I thought to myself "I wonder how many of these people are actual enthusiasts that want to actually watch the events, and how many people are friends of friends who came for an opportunity to get drunk and make a complete fool out of themselves."

I heard some 5-7yr old kid tell say "do a burn out you pu$$y". Quality parenting right there

From now on these events should be kept secret. Don't tell everyone. Just tell the cool people. Easy fix.

But then I wouldnt get invited because I'm not one of the cool people :lolly:

To me the police backed way off this year, I wondered if they thought if they let people do burnouts on the grounds it would be out of their system when they got on the road?

On a side note was anybody back in the campground, I dont remember if it was friday or sat night that, that gasser chevy did a burnout and ended up going down threw the ditch and almost hitting that pole?

But then I wouldnt get invited because I'm not one of the cool people :lolly:

To me the police backed way off this year, I wondered if they thought if they let people do burnouts on the grounds it would be out of their system when they got on the road?

On a side note was anybody back in the campground, I dont remember if it was friday or sat night that, that gasser chevy did a burnout and ended up going down threw the ditch and almost hitting that pole?

It was Friday night :badidea:

Just so ya's know...there are some emails floating around the County Government Center and City Hall regarding smoke on US41, racing and other such things on roads and property away from the grounds. I've managed to get CC'd on some. They are going back and forth to and from officials such as Law Enforcement, Mayors/Managers and Air Pollution officials. Mainly as to who's responsible for allowing "this" to happen/continue and what to do about it. "This" being "chaos" on public roads....NOT the event and pulls itself. They like that part. Its the people who are offended elsewhere who are not even attending the event that get mad. If you poke them in their cage enough...they will respond.

And further FYI...don't harass the fair board!!! They do a decent job that very few would even do. That place is historical. And they do their best to pay the bills and keep it open. They don't bankroll any cash and have a stockpile. They survive. And developer after developer after developer make offers to buy the land and turn it into a wal-mart or stripmall. The last deal was a few million, a couple of polebarns further down the road...and NO racetracks of any kind. What a deal.

That place was there when there was 10 miles of cornfield between it and the City of Terre Haute. Many famous racers got started or raced at the Action Track Oval. Its not just a fairgrounds or tractor pull place. Its a sprint car track. And I love watching those races. I don't want to lose this place personally. I've been going there for 35 years.

$25 to park all weekend isn't highway robbery. I've paid more for far less. And if the drag strip charges another fee...I'd pay it. There are plenty of people who'd love to just bulldoze that place anyway and put in some nail salons and shoe carnivals.

Parking, it was $5 a day last year, zero for every previous Scheid show before last year, and then $25 'weekend' pass or for in/out privileges. Probly be $25 a day or $50 for the weekend or 'in/out' passes next year. Yeah, don't harass the fair board, they just want in on the money!:bs:

I guess I would have to suggest finding a "free" event thats even close to what SDX is. Give us a report when you find it.

I guess I would have to suggest finding a "free" event thats even close to what SDX is. Give us a report when you find it.
Never said the SDX is a free event. I'm talking about parking. I guess my argument about paying to park when for years it was free, is a dead horse*bdh*.

I agree and disagree with you on that point. I dont mind to pay to park, but It should have came with in/out priv., even for a day pass. I guess thats not to big of a deal. I guess my only thing with paying to park (when Im paying to specifically park) that the parking area should be safe and patrolled. Im sure glad my truck wasnt parked on the dragstrip side where people found it acceptable to do doughnuts and cover other trucks with the roost.

Never said the SDX is a free event. I'm talking about parking. I guess my argument about paying to park when for years it was free, is a dead horse*bdh*.

That is the reason we are directing people to complain to the fair board..........

I kind of agree on one point.. I dont like paying to park but if I'm going to I like the peace of mind that nothing is going to happen to my truck while I'm not there with it. I bought a weekend pass but the fact that the day pass didnt let you in\out I thought was crap..

10 bucks to park is cheap. they could charge 20 a day, is it going to stop you from coming? The fair boards is using that money for up keep. how many of you noticed the camp grounds had a lot more electric, water spots? they are doing what they can to keep us there. How many grass lots,roads buildings need fixed because of the nonsence? thanxs Wabash Valley Fairgrounds for having us.

Back