Compound turbo piping sizes

The primary will be fully supported, I'm just concerned with the heat eating the pipe up.

Don't see any room for a flexi pipe.

I have been running a hot pipe made of 3" exhaust tubing for 3 years now...no issues with cracking.

Cold pipe is 3.5" aluminum no issues there either

The primary will be fully supported, I'm just concerned with the heat eating the pipe up.

Don't see any room for a flexi pipe.

roachie if you have the inside of the pipe coated then you shouldn't have any issue with the temps eating up the pipe. if you coat it on the out side of the pipe :bang i'll smack you myself!:kick:

as for air being the best insulator that is only for still air. in this case you have moving air which is not an insulator. read your heat transfer book again!

lol...I have seen some nasty fish mouther boiler tubes...usually poped once wall thickness dropped under .012". Kinda gives an idea on how strong steel is when you consider the boiler pressure is 850 psi

I love these threads. The new secondary came in a couple of weeks ago and UPS just dropped off the new primary. Reading this thread helps get me in the mood for getting anoter set figured out.

roachie if you have the inside of the pipe coated then you shouldn't have any issue with the temps eating up the pipe. if you coat it on the out side of the pipe :bang i'll smack you myself!:kick:

as for air being the best insulator that is only for still air. in this case you have moving air which is not an insulator. read your heat transfer book again!

I'm going to coat both sides to make it pretty.

I do know that moving air takes away heat. I really wonder how much is moving past the alternator, oil filter, secondary turbo, ect. Guessing not much.

Now do we have any calculations on figuring cold pipe sizes? Like an optimum volume for the CFM and velocity the turbo produces.

a while back I went down this road on the cold side. Basicly a 3" pipe lost 0.6 psi and a 4" lost 0.15 psi. This is assuming ~633 CFM coming from the discharge of a GT42 @ 30 psi, and 368F

I ended up using a 3.5" due to the fact that ATP makes an aluminum flange for a GT42 that is 3.5".

I have been running a 16ga. 3" hot pipe coated inside & out on the trips, and usually 3" or 3-1/2" hot and cold pipes. I have run MANY combos and tubing sizes and Freak is (as usual) right on with the info.
I usually spec 3" piping up to 600hp and 3-1/2" up to 800hp, then 4".

Back