converting 99 24 valve to 12 valve problem

Ok so the solenoid is pulling it's power from the relay.
What does the wire that screws to the little post on the starter do?

the black is ground. the white is pull and can be ran off the ignition wire on the starter. the red is the hold wire and is the one that needs to have a relay. i will put up this pic for reference only. http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram25.html on the bottom of the relay there should be a similar diagram as in the picture. 87 will need a constant 12v source, 30 will be plugged into the red wire on your solenoid, 85 is to ground, and 86 will be connected to a 12v source that is constant while the vehicle is running. you should use the same gauge wire that is on the solenoid for the wire to the starter, the wire from the solenoid to the relay, and from the relay to the 12v constant source. the 12v acc wire can be a 14ga or whatever gauge wire is the normal wires( i am not good with actual sizes). if you run the white straight to the starter i would put a fuse inline with that, and the other fuse should be on the 12v constant source wire to the relay. i think that you only need a 30 amp fuse or the same size for the starter. if this doesnt help let me know and i will try to translate using thingamajig, whatchacalit, dewhicky, and other terms that might be easier to understand lol

Only thing that made me look further is that bolt would not fit through the wire.
You've done excellent in my book Big Papa.

Kleann

In this post of yours are you using a 12 valve wire harness? Because I see it is a different wire plan that the chevcummins that posted earlier in that thread.
I wonder which wire plan would be easiest with the 99 conv to 12 valve. I am having trouble deciding which to use. Trying to ration two plans at the same time takes alot more thought

--------- used a Standard auto RY116 relay Napa 30A fuse holder
Shut off wires-Black wire to black wire on harness(C)
-White wire to Red wire on harness(B), then to #87 (Yellow wire) on relay
-Red wire to Small green wire on harness(A), then ran inside the truck through the firewall inside to #9 fuse
#85 (Blue wire) on relay went to starter
#86 (Lime green wire) went to ground (as seen in pics) and (C) on wiring harness went to this ground also
#30 (Red wire) went to fuse holder wire then other wire coming out of fuse holder goes to the positive on the battery
#87A middle(Orange wire) is not used
Probably still really confusing, but not sure if I can make it any easier. ---------

Ok, wiring is done, if I don't get rained out tomorrow then I'll get done with this.
Hopefully it is right.
Hope you guys arn't getting tired of me :)

Last edited:
I used the connector or "pigtail" off a 12v harness. So I would have a factory looking connection to the shutoff.

I"m getting nothing on the starter. Voltmeter says it is getting 12 volts on it's main but when I go to start there is nothing. the dash is lighting up as it should and the batteries have a full charge.
Any ideas? I wired it the way chevycummins said to do it. I had not heard back from Kleann and it looked like Kleann had a 12valve harness by reading his wire post.
the following is chevycummins post.
((((((((((((((((the black is ground.
the white is pull and can be ran off the ignition wire on the starter
. the red is the hold wire and is the one that needs to have a relay.
i will put up this pic for reference only. http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram25.html on the bottom of the relay there should be a similar diagram as in the picture.
87 will need a constant 12v source, 30 will be plugged into the red wire on your solenoid,
85 is to ground, and
86 will be connected to a 12v source that is constant while the vehicle is running. you should use the same gauge wire that is on the solenoid for the wire to the starter, the wire from the solenoid to the relay, and from the relay to the 12v constant source. the 12v acc wire can be a 14ga or whatever gauge wire is the normal wires( i am not good with actual sizes). if you run the white straight to the starter i would put a fuse inline with that, and the other fuse should be on the 12v constant source wire to the relay. i think that you only need a 30 amp fuse or the same size for the starter. if this doesnt help let me know and i will try to translate using thingamajig, whatchacalit, dewhicky, and other terms that might be easier to understand lol))))))))))))))))

Are you getting 12V on the Brown wire going to the starter solenoid when you take the ignition switch to start?

Basically, wires from the Relay Harness:

The Brown wire needs to tap into the Brown wire going to the starter solenoid.
The Red/Black Stripe wire needs to go to the Positive battery.
The Red/Violet(Purple) stripe wire goes to ground.

Wires from the Shut-Off Solenoid that DO NOT connect to the relay:

The Light Green/Black stripe wire connects to a SWITCHED 12V source.
The Black/Tan stripe wire goes to ground.

It sounds like you do not have the brown wire connected to the starter solenoid. This wire supplies 12V to the starter solenoid when you take the ignition switch to "start".

Ok, I did check the wire that is going to that little post and there was no voltage when the ign was turned over for start.
There is another wire hanging in near vicinity of the starter and I was thinking it is a ground I'll need to connect. I'll check for color brown and for voltage.

Only 2 wires hooked up to the starter, the Brown wire on the solenoid and the positive battery cable.

(white is pull and can be ran off the ignition wire on the starter)

Before the engine was swapped there were already 2 wires going to the starter right? the brown wire and the battery cable.
So wouldn't the above added wire now mean there are 2 wires on the small pole of the starter and one large wire (12volt source) running straight to the battery?

you said "The Brown wire needs to tap into the Brown wire going to the starter solenoid."

So, what I did was run the wire "white wire is pull and can be run off the ign wire of the starter" straight to the starter which in affect makes a third wire.
Where I see you said in the one of your last two posts that the wire should only tap into the brown wire of the starter ingintion.

So if I'm reading what your saying and what I acutally did then does it really matter if the wire is tapped in to just connected to the same post of the brown wire?

Last edited:
I notice every one has different colored wires of all 4 of us. That complicates digesting the info.

I'm not getting any power on the ignition wire. There is a good supply of voltage to the large cable from starter to battery but when I turn the ign no power on the small igntion lead.

I'm posting two photos one is of the fuse box and one of the starter.
in the fuse box if you could confirm the two main leads are in the correct place.
one on the right is the cable that I had asked earlier where it goes. I'm pretty sure that is where it was but I could be wrong.

then in the starter area you'll see the brown wire and then a pointer to another black with white stripe wire that comes out of the main harness and I can't be sure but I think this was a ground wire on the engine. It has a little connector with a hole in it just like the little connector to the starter ignition post.
I have not connected it to ground because I'm worried about it being live since I'm not absolutely sure it is ground.
I checked the transmission connectors and the electrical connectors are plugged in firmly, also looked at the main harness couplings on the firewall and they are firm as well as checked the computer couplings which are firm.
Checked ignition fuse under dash, it's good then checked ign and engine fuse in eng bay which are good.
Unless that wire that I suspect is ground is preventing the ignition power or I have a cable plugged in wrong on the fuse box then I'm stumped why it does not operate as before.
Of course there are alot of free hanging connectors now that were plugged into sensors before that leaves some hanging questions.

Attachments

• 99fusebox.jpg
    99fusebox.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 99starterwires.jpg
    99starterwires.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't see a white wire on any of the diagrams associated with the shut-off solenoid.

Your 12V is a '97 and the 24V is a '99, correct? That's what I've been looking up to get wire colors for you.

If you run the brown wire all the way to the starter, yes, you will now have 3 wires connected to the starter, 2 browns and the positive cable. It doesn't matter if you run it to the starter or tap into it somewhere else. All it's doing is sending 12V to the Pull-up relay for the solenoid when you go to the "start" position on the ignition switch.

The Black/White stripe wire should go to the Park/Neutral Switch on the left side of the tranny. The switch grounds the wire when in Park or Neutral. If this wire is not connected to the switch, it is not getting grounded and therefore preventing the starter solenoid from activating. Do not hook this wire to the post on the starter.

Yes 97 motor in a 99 3500 cummins.
Below is chevycummins post from kleann's link.
He referred to the white wire. It's the middle wire on the shut off solenoid harness
((((((((((((((((the black is ground.
the white is pull and can be ran off the ignition wire on the starter
. the red is the hold wire and is the one that needs to have a relay.
i will put up this pic for reference only. http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram25.html on the bottom of the relay there should be a similar diagram as in the picture.
87 will need a constant 12v source, 30 will be plugged into the red wire on your solenoid,
85 is to ground, and
86 will be connected to a 12v source that is constant while the vehicle is running. you should use the same gauge wire that is on the solenoid for the wire to the starter, the wire from the solenoid to the relay, and from the relay to the 12v constant source. the 12v acc wire can be a 14ga or whatever gauge wire is the normal wires( i am not good with actual sizes). if you run the white straight to the starter i would put a fuse inline with that, and the other fuse should be on the 12v constant source wire to the relay. i think that you only need a 30 amp fuse or the same size for the starter. if this doesnt help let me know and i will try to translate using thingamajig, whatchacalit, dewhicky, and other terms that might be easier to understand lol))))))))))))))))

Last edited:
I can't see that this black/wh stripe wire could attach to the transmission.
I only sticks out of the harness about 4 to 5 inches and is 5 to 6 inches before the 24valve fuel elec connectors. So there is no way for it to reach all the way down to the transmission even before the swap.
I looked on the tranny and one of the three plugs has a gr/stripe, bla/wh, and another wire. Could that be the bl/wh wire your thinking of?

"The Black/White stripe wire should go to the Park/Neutral Switch on the left side of the tranny. The switch grounds the wire when in Park or Neutral. If this wire is not connected to the switch, it is not getting grounded and therefore preventing the starter solenoid from activating. Do not hook this wire to the post on the starter. "

Today I felt like one of the boys in my avatar looking at the fine mess I have myself in.

OK, I looked at mine and I see the White wire coming out of the solenoid. It connects to a "Hot in Run & Start" 12V. I have mine connected to one of the fuses in the fuse box under the hood that is "Hot in Run & Start".

I don't know about your Black/White Stripe wire. Connect one end of a test light to it, ground the other end of your test light, and see if it's hot in any of the three ignition switch positions. If not, hook your test light up to 12V then touch the wire and see if it's grounded full time or if it's only grounded in Park or Neutral. The only Black/White stripe wires I see have to do with that Neutral Safety Switch.

Hang in there. You'll get it Delmar.

I did test it with key in ign to start and just key in acc on.
I got no juice so I figure it is a ground. Oh I didn't get any just on the ign wire with that wire grounded either.
I'm eyeballing all the wires that are hanging everywhere unplugged with no where to plug into. wondering if maybe one should be plugged in and I just don't see it's counterpart.

If I had my druthers I'd be the quick thinker "Everett"

Back