converting 99 24 valve to 12 valve problem

What did you use on the sensor adapters for seal?

Got the tone ring today but no bracket or sensor.
Levi said that some said the bracket was right and others said it was wrong so he said he quit making them.

new question
1. can I use this 12 valve sensor that is in place? I know I would have to mount the bracket in a different place to have it read the tone ring but that should not be to hard.

2. Then let me pose this other question again.
What is good to use on the sensor plugs as a sealer? Just regular plummers Teflon tape?

here is a photo of both 12v and 24v crank sensors for wire code maybe someone knows which wire is which.
Both are only 3 wires so I can't see any reason the 12 valve sensor and bracket wouldn't work, just splice in the wires.
Then I don't have to chase a crank sensor bracket.
But then again there are too many variables in this job to go guessing.

How do I position the tone ring?

Need to know about teflon tape on sensor brackets too :)

Attachments

• 24and12valve crank sensors.jpg
    24and12valve crank sensors.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Kleann, here are some tone ring dimensions in case you get it done locally.

Attachments

• 24vto12vtonering.jpg
    24vto12vtonering.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 24vto12vtoneringpost.jpg
    24vto12vtoneringpost.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
Don't use sealer on the boss side of the adapter, teflon tape on the pipe side.

I don't imagine the 12V sensor will work, but I don't know for certain. Your going to be making a bracket for it, too. I can't believe they don't have the bracket anymore.

Tone ring should have come with a spacer and new balancer bolts. If it didn't come with that, I'd send it back. $200 for the tone ring with no spacer, bolts, or sensor bracket is crazy. The spacer I received had a recess to mate with the nose on the crank and it had a nose on it to mate to the tone ring to keep everything true.

I did get bolts and spacer with the tone ring.

I asked Levi to send a picture of the bracket he was supplying and this is it.
which he had said users had mixed results with the bracket so he quit making it. I don't see how it would work for this set up looking at it.

If you think it will work or see how it could be used fairly easy then please let me know and I'll get him to send me one.
Is the boss side of the sensor adapter the side that the sensor screws into?

Attachments

• Levis24v mount.jpg
    Levis24v mount.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I did get bolts and spacer with the tone ring.

I asked Levi to send a picture of the bracket he was supplying and this is it.
which he had said users had mixed results with the bracket so he quit making it. I don't see how it would work for this set up looking at it.

If you think it will work or see how it could be used fairly easy then please let me know and I'll get him to send me one.
Is the boss side of the sensor adapter the side that the sensor screws into?

Boss o-ring is the thread style of the 24v sensors.

I don't know what that bracket is for. Doesn't look like what I got.

The boss side is the side that the sensor screws into. Pipe side screws into 12V engine.

Scott, is the bracket in your picture posted the bracket they sent you?

I had this image scanned to pdf but it was too large to post to group so I reduced it in size with a pdf editor then converted to bmp image.
I hope it still is a 1to1 image but I'm out of ink to check it. You can check the measurements with the previous diagram I posted.
photostream

here are the spacer photos too.

Attachments

• toneringspacerdeminsions.jpg
    toneringspacerdeminsions.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
  • toneringspacerback.jpg
    toneringspacerback.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
ok then click on the tab top of box.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/59773098@N04/7704976354/in/photostream"]tonering1to1photo2_Page_1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

Everyone loves a good flow chart.
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/59773098@N04/5462927433/in/photostream/"]who f****d up | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

Last edited:
No. Well, yes, I painted it all, but then I CAREFULLY held some emory cloth against it while it was idling and cleaned off the edges. Probably wouldn't really matter, though.

the 97 12 valve has 3 wires on the crank sensor and the 99 12 valve has 3 wires on the crank sensor.
Can someone post the electrical diagram for the crank portion of the 9 12 valve?
I need to determine figure out which wire is which between the 12 valve crank sensor and the 24 valve crank sensor.

I have a digital 2001 bently and was told that it covers the 99 cummins, so far it has.

Just got to figure out which wire of the 3 wires does what.

I have some questions today.

1. about the 12 valve wiring diagram showing the 12 valve crank sensor as I posted above.

2. oil sensor. the pic below shows the 12v sensor position behind the powsteerpump on the left and the 24 valve postioned behind the pow steer pump.

3 then on the temp sensor a photo of two temp sensors from the 24 valve seperated by the adapter then the 12v temp sensor on the right. Did you use the one with the long probe from the 24 valve or the one with no probe? The one with the probe came from the front of the 24v and the one with no probe was in the back of the engine. thing is it seems with no probe and the adapter then it would be hard to get an accurate reading.

4. you mentioned putting the ecm back on the motor . does it really need to be there for ground or something? It looks to me like it would be better on the firewall and is easily positioned there.

5. I don't see a return line at the back of the head on the 12v like on the 24v where is the return line? I don't see one. should be one right?

Attachments

• oilsensors.jpg
    oilsensors.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • tempsensor.jpg
    tempsensor.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
Return is on the injectors, comes out in between 5th and 6th valve covers. I recently saw someone make a bracket to mount the computer above the motor mount attached to the motor mount, it looked good.

I didn't finish my question about the oil sensors.
Am I correct about the oil sensors that these are indeed the oil sensors?

Scott are you around? can you comment on the temp sensors?

Last edited:
Back