CR melted piston discussion, why, why not, and for the love of god how not to..

Quick hijack...

Can someone give me the def. for "Rentrant" ??

Still learning here and never paid much attention to the 03-04 stuff until now....

Quick hijack...

Can someone give me the def. for "Rentrant" ??

Still learning here and never paid much attention to the 03-04 stuff until now....

Non Reentrant
Simplebowlsquish%20trans.gif

Reentrant
perkins%20squish%20lip%20trans.gif

Lip Reentrant (more like the cummins style)
Isuzu%20lipped%20bowl%20trans.gif

Sorry for the gray on gray, those just happened to be what were handy.

Thank you Sir!!!

That's kinda what I was figuring....And since Cummins went back to that with the 6.7, kinda makes ya think......

Keeping the spray in the bowl with the lip.....Seems like this design may help the Rattle we have as well with that design...

Non Reentrant
Simplebowlsquish%20trans.gif

Reentrant
perkins%20squish%20lip%20trans.gif

Lip Reentrant (more like the cummins style)
Isuzu%20lipped%20bowl%20trans.gif

Don,t think the bowl design is that big of deal,have saw alot of hot engines that have flat bowl bottoms and straight sides,if the fuel is staying in the bowl there should be no problems.I don,t think at high RPM the fuel cares if there is a bump in the bottom or not.Is there any other common parts in these builds that are melting, besides 04.5 and up pistons like,tuning,injectors,rail pressure,timing?Have built alot of hot CRs and have broke parts ,bent rods, blew gaskets but have never melted a piston.

Don,t think the bowl design is that big of deal,have saw alot of hot engines that have flat bowl bottoms and straight sides,if the fuel is staying in the bowl there should be no problems.I don,t think at high RPM the fuel cares if there is a bump in the bottom or not...

It is not the bump at the bottom, it is the lip on the sides. For further information about this look at the reentrant piston thread.

well im going to run 03-04 pistons with 03-04 tips but leaving my 06 ecm, we have a firm belief that this will work out great.

I think that has been proven not to work because of the emission shot and timing of the events.

Steel pistons you say........these are hela strong. Absolutly love them so far.

piston046.jpg

P1030295.jpg

piston045.jpg

They are heavier.....and for a competition engine, that weight has to cost a few ponies.

Balanced it all to 0 grams and you have to look at the rpm guage to understand its turning 4k.

It is not the bump at the bottom, it is the lip on the sides. For further information about this look at the reentrant piston thread.

I agree ,it helps bring the fuel back into the bowl to mix,but pistons with no lip and flat bowls still work.The main reason for these bowl designs is for emissions,smoke control and over all driveability,not to make 1000 HP.

Steel pistons you say........these are hela strong. Absolutly love them so far.

piston046.jpg

P1030295.jpg

piston045.jpg

They are heavier.....and for a competition engine, that weight has to cost a few ponies.

Balanced it all to 0 grams and you have to look at the rpm guage to understand its turning 4k.

Complete side track but every time I see monotherms all I hear in my head is the song from an episode of the Simpsons "monorail" but in my head it is replaced with "monotherm" :bang

If I had the available coin, there is no doubt in my mind that I would run those.

Is that 4k the RPM or the price?

(And to further hijack- any 12 valve steelies available?)

Thats 4000 rpm (smarty tnt race), price for the set about the 3K, but to be honest I'm not sure if any one can get them now, unless they did another run. Damn fine piston, but the price was a bit prohibitive.

John Robinson runs them up to 5000 rpm in the funny car doing the burnout, sure would like to see that in person, just plain bad ass.

Didn't make a offset bowl then at least.

why would it not work because of the timing of the events? to much fuel at the wrong time or just to much fuel?

If I drive out there will you give me one?

:umno: Ill get fired, real fast. but i can give you a tour

what im saying is that there is a program for you guys, someone just has to be smart enough to start from scratch since we cant use what cummins has

so what would you guys do... sleeve a block or go .040 over? this is in my 06 truck, this is mostly a money issue....lol I had 2 pistons melt on me 1 and 4, 4 I can prob ball hone and be fine... 1 is trashed... I can sleeve 1 and 4 for about 250 bucks including sleeves and 340 dollars for 2 psitons brand new from cummins... or buy 6 new pistons for a 04 off a buddie for 600 bucks that are ceramic coated and have teflon skirts and total seals...then 400 to bore block and switch to 03-04 nozzles and hope that the injector events doesnt screw anything up...

Thats 4000 rpm (smarty tnt race), price for the set about the 3K, but to be honest I'm not sure if any one can get them now, unless they did another run. Damn fine piston, but the price was a bit prohibitive.

John Robinson runs them up to 5000 rpm in the funny car doing the burnout, sure would like to see that in person, just plain bad ass.

Didn't make a offset bowl then at least.

3 grand!!!! OOOOOH!!

Well, maybe that's not in the cards for me right now....

So your saying there were custom and we can't get them anymore.....Who made them??

why would it not work because of the timing of the events? to much fuel at the wrong time or just to much fuel?

From my understanding it is the timing of the fuel. I would just put new pistons in and have them coated. Talk to TTS about their coating, it seems pretty badass. We have put it in a couple of trucks with very good luck.

Back