Crank lightening

Run with it once, and then make a run without it on anything other than stock charger. Mine limited my 63/74/.7 to 50ish psi I believe it was. I forgot to put the bhaf back on once, and was noticing a louder whistle than usual, and 5psi higher than normal. Got out to check the turbo figuring it was about to blow up, and thats when I realized it was filterless. So I stuck filter back on, and the turbo went back to its quiet, less boost making, self.

I run one only because my stock air box got dropped and busted a little.

Waiting to hear results on how it runs!

Well, going to run the bhaf so far not matter what. Took it for a short run on yesterday evening after bleeding the brakes and found out that, before I could get it to MOT. I need to change the master cylinder for it. While building the engine, I swapped in a disc set from a newer 14bolt. The old master cylinder made for a drums doesn't seems to produce enough pressure for the larger pistons in disc calibers. What comes to exh.manifold, it's home made, like Jari said. There's a few pics of it on my page http://www.devilscastle.net

Timo

Well, going to run the bhaf so far not matter what. Took it for a short run on yesterday evening after bleeding the brakes and found out that, before I could get it to MOT. I need to change the master cylinder for it. While building the engine, I swapped in a disc set from a newer 14bolt. The old master cylinder made for a drums doesn't seems to produce enough pressure for the larger pistons in disc calibers. What comes to exh.manifold, it's home made, like Jari said. There's a few pics of it on my page http://www.devilscastle.net

Timo

Disc's take more volume, they need larger pistons to try to be as effective as drums in stopping, Nice job I like homemade stuff.

No much new to tell, just came back from abroad and haven't got much time to work with. New 01- model master cylinder is there already, still needs a proportion valve for the rear disc's which is getting in today. Most likely will get it through the mot at the end of the week.

Timo

Mot done, all good and first 100 miles on the odo. From now on collecting more miles to see what happens.
Timo

To add to the advice... took my brand new BHAF (looked identicle to the one in the pic) and swaped if for an AFE, gained 4 lbs of boost on my 63... up from 40lbs to 44-45

T$ has a point...

what is the point in lightening a crank...?

Reducing weight of the rotating assembly releases lost power due to the weight restricting the engine capability of rpm. Now when you achieve the optimum rotational speeds to reach a full pull, drag race or simple off-road race, your quicker rise in rpms not only gives you throttle response it also gives you more work being done in turn allows you to accel faster. If you can wind up quicker than your competitor, chances are you will have that much more of a jump. You have to remember to think of torque production and con-rod assembly weights as well for variables. That is about as simple as you can get in a nutshell.

ttameslehto, your out-of the box thinking has shown what the greats of other motorsports crew chiefs/racers have done to push ingenuity in the realm of performance and efficiency even higher. Good job, and this should be taken as another, nothing is out of reach. I didn't read everything on this thread but I did look through the pictures. Must feel good you have opened a door even wider to a realm where high speed diesel performance is still in its infancy. :clap: :Cheer: This thread is a great R&D reference, granted there isn't much highly technical info, it still shows the beginning of what R&D is all about!!!

Thanks Fahlin for your kind words. It's refreshing to see a comments from a person who got real knowledge about engine related things. Anyway 200 miles done, haven't bunch it yet for good nor measured time from idle to 3k. but will after more miles on the odo.

Timo

Id like to see a stock comparison graph.

Posted via tapatalk if you know what i mean

TTamm, did you happen to record what main and con-rod bearing clearances you used with this?

Im interested in this, how much did it sharpen throttle response? I know swapping from a heavy flywheel to a light weight really perks up response time, id assume this thing is very snappy/perky if you didnt add weight to the flywheel.

Subbed for differences this made, i may look into it, if it continues to hold up.

Also good for you for doing this and really awsome job with all the polishing and machineing.

Last edited:
Im interested in this, how much did it sharpen throttle response? I know swapping from a heavy flywheel to a light weight really perks up response time, id assume this thing is very snappy/perky if you didnt add weight to the flywheel.

Subbed for differences this made, i may look into it, if it continues to hold up.

Also good for you for doing this and really awsome job with all the polishing and machineing.

Well, it revs faster, when compared for another one, with same mods other than the crank. Got 1500miles on it right now and all is like day one. Oil press still good and no suspicious sounds.

Timo

Back