Cummins ISX

how are all your rocker arms holding up in them cats i work for a fleet with 1800 petes and all cats and rockers are a regular deal along with water pumps and broken exhaust bolts. when at cummins we had very good luck with the egrs ( better luck ) if you get the red antifreeze out of them and go back to standard green

A guy brought in his 2001-2003 ish Pete C15 to us for a dyno run for a "baseline" it called 838 rearwheel HP on the dyno. and stopped there becasue couldn't keep the CAC boots on.

C15cat838rwhp01.jpg

C15cat838rwhp02.jpg

Thank you all for the coments. We still havent got a truck yet.
Thanks again

I agree with the given sentiment so far, I've worked with a lot of ISX engines and they're great. 99% of the problems are related to the EGR system. Delete it and the engine is fantastic and every bit as reliable as the pre-EGR engine. The VGT turbo also gives the engine real balls across the RPM range instead of just at the top as with the pre-egr Signature series.

Last edited:
A guy brought in his 2001-2003 ish Pete C15 to us for a dyno run for a "baseline" it called 838 rearwheel HP on the dyno. and stopped there becasue couldn't keep the CAC boots on.

C15cat838rwhp01.jpg

C15cat838rwhp02.jpg

Thought the compound turbos didn't come around till 04? I've got an 03 torn down in the shop right now with single charger.

you're right on the accert. epa04 of course. must have been an 2004 rig. or late 03.

This is how an '06 ISX is supposed to look!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Probably a good engine when it's void of all things emissions related!!!:clap:

Except for that (still) very restrictive intake pipe and loss of the superior VGT....

Except for that (still) very restrictive intake pipe and loss of the superior VGT....
The intake pipe in the pic is a replacement for the stock POS. And I can live without a VGT, especially one that needs replaced often.

especially one that needs replaced often.
No more than any other turbo. Most of the VGT's problems come from the EGR causing high EGTs and additional soot load. Eliminate the EGR and its just as reliable as every wastegated turbo but with FAR better response time.

Up untill reading your comments on this thread, I thought you might just be alrightLOL.

It's a cost per mile thing. While it is a step backwards, it is more cost effective for the owner.
HA!, Pete's are ok for being 2nd place I just don't have a big enough chip on my shoulder to drive one.:poke:

2011 SCR ISX went from 3.6mpg to 6.2mpg by "stepping backwards". At $3.80+ fuel, Cummins can take their warranty and wipe there butt with it.:ft:

No more than any other turbo. Most of the VGT's problems come from the EGR causing high EGTs and additional soot load. Eliminate the EGR and its just as reliable as every wastegated turbo but with FAR better response time.
Not really concerned with response time, It's not a drag truck.:shake:

I'm not sure why they remove it when you do the full delete. It may be with the modded programming the ECM no longer can control it. Or it can't control it correctly. There's got to be a reason to justify the added cost of a new charger/manifold I just never asked what it was. They were the wrong color for me, I was just inquiring about the fixes for the ISX for future truck purchases due to the lack of engine options available now.

HA!, Pete's are ok for being 2nd place I just don't have a big enough chip on my shoulder to drive one.:poke:

smash a fender on a pete and you replace a fender, smash a fender on a KW and you replace a hood, whats the cost per mile on that? LOL

Last edited:
smash a fender on a pete and you replace a fender, smash a fender on a KW and you replace a hood, whats the cost per mile on that? LOL
KW drivers don't hit **** so we don't need replaceable fenders.:poke:

Only crappy drivers figure replacement body parts in their cost per mile figures!LOL

if the trucks your lookin at are in the 500,000 range look at the back of the head on drivers side if the head gasket is leakin oil, plan on replacing the head gasket soon theyll leak so bad it will cover everything under the truck i work at a cummins shop and the trucks around 05 vintage are starting to come in. when it does they usually have about 500,000 give or take on them we are an int'l dealer as well so most of the trucks we do are 9200,9400 models and the bill out the door is usually between $3500 -4000 just to replace the head gasket. just somethin to keep in mind

Not really concerned with response time, It's not a drag truck.
Response time has far more effect on drivability than racing.

It may be with the modded programming the ECM no longer can control it.
I don't see why that would be the case. All they really need to do is set the EGR's flow to 0% across the map and disable the electrical check or set the trouble code trigger outside the modified range.

Id buy a Mack....
You mean a POS Volvo with a dog on the hood?:umno:

I don't see why that would be the case. All they really need to do is set the EGR's flow to 0% across the map and disable the electrical check or set the trouble code trigger outside the modified range.
Like I said I have no idea. We have all Cats, I only asked about fixing an ISX when I got my Acert flashed in case I need to do some truck shopping. I wanted to know what to avoid but he said they can fix all of them, even the SCR motors. If I was in the market I would have asked more questions. I've got a 6NZ I'm going to get flashed so I may ask about the VGT when I call.

Back