Cummins ISX

Cat or ISX

I just had an Acert cat reflashed to 725hp and asked about an ISX since I can't order a new cat and that's what he told me.

Glider kit! Go through that Acert and plant it in a new glider. Is the special ordering window for the Cat still open or has it closed? Clint at KC Pete was telling me about this back a few months ago when I was talking glider kits. I think it was something about paying the extra for the EPA charges for the engine not meeting emissions.[/QUOTE]

Pittsburgh Power can rebuild that Cat with teflon coated pistons they have glider kits too call them if you got the money to spend they can upgrade your turbo, exhaust manifold, muffler, damper, Fass fuel, high flow injectors, reprogram your ecm or install the powerbox.

PDI has some good stuff for cummins they can delete the egr from the ecm plus tune and they sell a kit for 300.00 to plug up everything after you remove the egr and cooler from your truck. The ecm tune with egr delete runs 2450 at their place in either Pa or utah. they also have an intake kit to bring more fresh air into that isx good for 15-20 horses. I have an isx 450 I'm happy with it so far but the oil does get filthy quick like the day after an oil change not like in the cats. Good power though. It should be even better after a few mods like the ones I mentioned. I'm gonna get the high flow stack muffler supposedly good for up to 50 horses and half a gear on the hills also reduces soot build up clearly an isx needs something like this. Gonna try that turbo 3000D too see if it cleans up some carbon deposits. I want to take care of my new baby. That dirty oil can't be good for the rings and the soot clogs up the turbos supposedly. My truck actually failed emmisions the other day has to be something with the egr.

You don't understand. I'm a HD Mechanic. Instead of being Capt. TriggerHappy, re-read my statement with that in mind.

You'll get it.
Oh no I get it. From a mechanics point of view the new engines are the gift that keeps on giving. Not so much for the guy on the other end. It's just sad that if you buy a new truck you almost have to keep your old one to drive when the new one takes it's monthly crap.

When I was getting my truck flashed I made sure to find out which engines could be fixed. Nice to know that ALL of the 3 major EPA engines could have the junk removed for about what your average yearly parts costs would be if you were to leave it stock.

Glider kit! Go through that Acert and plant it in a new glider. Is the special ordering window for the Cat still open or has it closed? Clint at KC Pete was telling me about this back a few months ago when I was talking glider kits. I think it was something about paying the extra for the EPA charges for the engine not meeting emissions.

PDI has some good stuff for cummins they can delete the egr from the ecm plus tune and they sell a kit for 300.00 to plug up everything after you remove the egr and cooler from your truck. The ecm tune with egr delete runs 2450 at their place in either Pa or utah. they also have an intake kit to bring more fresh air into that isx good for 15-20 horses. I have an isx 450 I'm happy with it so far but the oil does get filthy quick like the day after an oil change not like in the cats. Good power though. It should be even better after a few mods like the ones I mentioned. I'm gonna get the high flow stack muffler supposedly good for up to 50 horses and half a gear on the hills also reduces soot build up clearly an isx needs something like this. Gonna try that turbo 3000D too see if it cleans up some carbon deposits. I want to take care of my new baby. That dirty oil can't be good for the rings and the soot clogs up the turbos supposedly. My truck actually failed emmisions the other day has to be something with the egr.
1. Can't get a KW glider
2. Already have a PDI tune on an Acert and it's amazing!
3 Give me 1/2 the money you're going to spend in that worthless turbo3000d and I'll kick you in the nuts. You'll see the same improvement in performance but only spend 1/2 the money. It's a piece of pipe with some fins in it, there are thousands of guys who believed the hype. It's snake oil.
4. If you live where they do EPA tests your VERY limited on what you can do performance wise. My advise is move, your wallet and engine will thank you.

Last edited:
So on that note and with impecible timing. my buddies old man asked me 2 days ago where he can get deletes for his '09 KW ISX. Where can they be had? Who kits them out? Is PDI the place to be?

Last edited:
I would like to know also on the deletes myself. Our trucks at work are Stone Slingers and get ran hard every day and are out of warranty. They are getting tired of replacing EGR parts. Also does this help fuel mileage like on the pickups

what are the others you'd recommend?
Well there's a guy here locally that have had several ISX's done by PDI with GREAT results so I can't say I would recommend any of the others without knowing anyone who has had it done. On the 2 the guy here has done he's went from MPG's in the 4 range to almost 6 with just the DPF/ EGR valve delete and the ECM reflash (still has the VGT's since they still work for now).

I think Full Tilt Performance does them.
A place called "diesel spec. inc" in Montreal
I think Boost Engineering also does them in Canada
PDI of course.

i have a isx 2007, the egr valve is giving codes again. already change it 4 times. where can i go to delete the egr from the ecm? tired of having problems. and i dont want to unplug it. did it before, and check engine light comes on and didnt see big difference in power and fuel economy. wheres the best place to go to do it professionaly? im from ontario and do some north usa and new-brunswick...

well just to let u know guys, i end up to a performance shop in Quebec called Dieselspec inc, and they got my egr valve fix with a reflash on my ecm. very satisfied. by the way, they also do detroit , caterpillar and mercedes engines...highly recommended

well just to let u know guys, i end up to a performance shop in Quebec called Dieselspec inc, and they got my egr valve fix with a reflash on my ecm. very satisfied. by the way, they also do detroit , caterpillar and mercedes engines...highly recommended
Did you dump the VGT also?

I've been having good luck with Bulldogs Big Rig programmers on the ISX.

Guy here just did the full PDI delete on an older EGR ISX. Went from the mid 3's on fuel mileage to 5.8mpg in the first week and almost runs like a stock Cat! The delete was around $8k which was only 2k more than what it was going to cost to replace all the parts with new OEM junk.

Things are looking up for those of us in the market for a new truck and were on the fence due to the lack of engine options.:rockwoot:

The ISX in the pics I posted earlier was just dyno'd at 701hp at the wheels with the full delete and a PDI stage 1 tune, owner couldn't be happier.

Mid 3's!? Holy fuk, I get 4.8 with the 550isx in the 07 Pete I drive, and that's even pulling doubles and grossing 106k

sent from my cellular deevice using Tapatalk

Mid 3's!? Holy fuk, I get 4.8 with the 550isx in the 07 Pete I drive, and that's even pulling doubles and grossing 106k
Yes, it's been as low as in the 2's and the truck only has a 75gal tank. I think the truck is limited to like 65k gross so to say the least the owner couldn't be happier with the results.

Anyone know if there's any physical difference between the different HP levels of a new 2012 ISX? What I'm curious about if I decide to order a new truck what's the minimum HP you can get factory and still get the better stuff? (or physically they're all the same parts wise) Since I'm going to take everything off anyway and void the warranty in the first day I'm not paying KW and extra $1,000 or so to get the 600hp ISX if physically the 500 is the same. I know with my Acert the only difference between the 475 and the 625 was the compression ratio was 18:1 vs 18.5:1 (trivial) and the top charger was slightly different. All for emissions purposes so it wasn't worth the extra $4k at the time of purchase.

If you have the ability to eliminate emissions don't pay up for premium power.
In the high horse applications 500-600 the ISX engines share the same parts.
Of course, engine #'s / or CPL comparing the two would be best, but I do feel strongly that it's all the same performance parts.

I have almost 700k on my ISX, 1 turbo that was just put on. All you have to do is unplug the EGR put a piece of tape over the check engine light and you're good to go. Never had another EGR issue since and fuel mileage went up slightly. This truck was running MO to CA almost every week.

Oh yeah and 5.8 mpg average pulling a car hauler running west with a flat top Pete!

Back