custom header

jupton

Horsepower lover
These are some pics of the header i just got done building for my pull truck. I used 1 3/4 J bends from summit and cut the flanges myself. I used a t6 flange for the turbo. Let me know what you guys think, any input is appreciated

Thanks, Josh

Attachments

• dodge pics 022r01.jpg
    dodge pics 022r01.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
  • dodge pics 028r01.jpg
    dodge pics 028r01.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
  • dodge pics 030r01.jpg
    dodge pics 030r01.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
should have used sch40... if that's mild steel, it's going to disintegrate from the heat

X2. With all that leverage and the heat, no doubt it is going to crack. You might want to make a brace for the turbo to help things out. It does look very nice! I like the design.

Thanks for the input guys. If you look close in the second pic you can see a brace bolted to the bottom of the turbo flange which goes down to a couple holes the were convieniently drilled into the motor mount. As far as it holdin up to the heat, thats why i wrapped it with the header wrap i was hoping to insulate it enough so that it would heat and cool evenly and hopefully stop the warping and cracking. So far its been down the pull track once and three passes down the dragstrip and it seems to be holding up fine, but time will tell i guess

on a gasser a header make a big difference in exhaust tone. Is it the same for diesels? people have said they help spool and people have said they kill it and only help top end. what changes did you notice?

looks way nice!

Its on a fresh combination so i dont really have anything to compare it to. The charger is an S475 with a 2.8 bushing with 83/74 .9 exh side. It will start to make some boost on the street just after 2000 and really lights about 2800. As far as sound it definately makes a big difference. It sounds alot crisper and is louder than other trucks ive heard with similar combos

got any video of the sound? my header is really a cross between a header and manifold and it dont sound much different than a standard cast manifold...but the flow difference is very noticable.

got any video of the sound? my header is really a cross between a header and manifold and it dont sound much different than a standard cast manifold...but the flow difference is very noticable.

did you notice a diference in spool time?

I dont have any video yet where you can hear it good but i will try and get one at some point. It sounds different mostly at idle and low rpm its really crisp and choppy kinda.

Any pics of your header?

SSPX0748.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

P2140298.jpg

P2140297.jpg

I had problems sealing it. It was warped during welding, so i ended up machining the turbo flange so it was perfectly flat again, and then took the head flange and cut 2 notches in it to make it 3 separate pieces so it could pull in, seals much better now.

Very nice. Thats an interesting design. What did you use for tubing? And is that a high temp ceramic coating or just header paint?

SPEEDSHIFT on here built it, i had to modify it to make it seal. it also has issues with cracking, but taking some stress off of it by cutting the head flange helped a lot.

i dont know what was on it in those bottom pics, some type of DIY ceramic paint. it didn't last very long. The top pic was after i painted it with 2200° header paint this spring. I heated and cooled it a dozen times over my kerosene heater, then put it on the truck and heat cycled it a few times. its holding up much better.

SPEEDSHIFT on here built it, i had to modify it to make it seal. it also has issues with cracking, but taking some stress off of it by cutting the head flange helped a lot.

i dont know what was on it in those bottom pics, some type of DIY ceramic paint. it didn't last very long. The top pic was after i painted it with 2200° header paint this spring. I heated and cooled it a dozen times over my kerosene heater, then put it on the truck and heat cycled it a few times. its holding up much better.

my turbo flange was nice and flat on mine but the flange that seals to the head was warped. i just had a machine shop flatten it on a belt sander and it hasnt leaked since.

mine just has header paint on mine and its still looking good. though i wrapped it now so we'll see how it holds up.

Garrett

It looked great when I seen it last weekend Josh. If we were allowed hood stacks it would sound even better. Give me a call on my cell when you get a minute.

should have used sch40... if that's mild steel, it's going to disintegrate from the heat

Josh- I have worked on a truck that had standard exaust tubing for the piping between a twin setup and it was crazy all the hair line cracks that where in it and it leaked like crazy. (don't know how long it had been like this or how old the setup was as I didn't build the piping) but it was deffinatly due to major heat cycles and I amagine it almost turned white durring a pull. We rebuilt the setup with Sch40 and never had a problem after that.....I can only imagine the heat cycles in a manifold. You can buy small 1.5" and 2" schedual 4 tight radius weld on bends at quite a few places up here in Ontario. I don't know anyone personally in your area but talk to guys or shops that are into gas fitting or boiler pipe.

The thicker walled tubing is also going to keep the heat in the pipe, there for keeping the velocity up in the system.

Header looks great though other than like stated...piping is on the thin side and just keep an eye out for leaks.

Can't wait to see the truck!
Ryan

recently the Atley's mod truck both blew holes in their manifold/header piping to their charger which are mounted out in front of the motor...i wonder how heavy their piping was to blow open like it did.

yeah, I would imagine with the heat built up in there motor the temp going thru the manifold before the charger was over 1600 which is hot enough to get steel glowing a nice cherry color. Then take into account that the turbo is actually restricting the air flow a little almost making the manifold act as a pressure tank....combine that pressure with red hot, on the verge of being molten steel with air passing by it at huge amounts of PSI and you could have a virtual bomb when it lets go (saw the pictures on Facebook of Atley's blow up) and it almost looked like a bomb going off!

Back