dana 44 in a drag 4x4 truck

5150ram

the god father
Does anyone think a Dana 44 with chromoly axles and good off road u joints would hold up? Target weight is 5500 lbs and 1000+ hp to the wheels. Thanks Chris

I say no. Small ring and pinion is still there even after you fill it with moly parts.

I say no. Small ring and pinion is still there even after you fill it with moly parts.

Do you think the pinion will twist or the gears break? The reason I ask is because the front drive shaft is about 1.125" at the slip yoke and the dana 44has a pinion diameter of 1.376".

Sorry should have been more specific, I was thinking a front out of a 1500 truck.

maybe a 44/60 hybrid but as soon as you get traction... boom. I always thought of using a 9 inch to see if it will survive

I know of 1 truck with a 9" 60 hybrid in the front and a 9" out back. I was looking at the 44 because they bolt in are cheep.

If your target horsepower was about half what your planning then you might get away with it.

I think it would hold, the rear still takes the brunt of the torque. I'll ask some off road guys at work tomorrow and see what they say.

Where did you get $6500 from? Currie has bare axles for $849.
Axles, 3rd member, spindles and brackets cant be that much.

O they can be.....My buddy said his axles he just got for his 60 where about $4k.

Chris it may work just get some really good axles. I can hook you up with a guy that builds some of the best chit.A good friend of mine runs his stuff in his rock racing rig along with some other crazy rigs.Ill ask my friend for the guys info. Most of the off road guys that use the 44 mostly break axles.

Let me add this up.
Axle housing 850
ebay Strange nodular housing 329
ebay pinion support 95
ebay bearings 110
ebay 35 spline detroit locker 536

you can order the axle w/o spindles and have a good fab shop hack your dana 60 and use the spindles out from it. This leaves custom axle shafts and brackets. This is $2000 plus the custom work.

Never thought about using my 60 for parts. I was thinking about selling it complete, it has an arb locker in it and I won't use it. It's scarry when you can't steer.

Front end

If the IFS in the dirty max holds I see no problem with a 44. You really don't have that much traction with the front. Jeff

Back