dana 44 in a drag 4x4 truck

If the IFS in the dirty max holds I see no problem with a 44. You really don't have that much traction with the front. Jeff

I don't think u could have said it any better. Use good parts and it should hold. I have built lots of 4wd things, Nothin with high horsepower, but def for people that abuse there stuff, and i don't think i have seen a 44 break. Don't get me wrong i know anything can be broken. Good Luck!!

What I have used in an off road application is a high pinion Dana 44. This is stronger because it is a "reverse rotation" ring and pinion; when driving forward, a standard or low pinion front axle is really driving on the coast or "backup" side of the ring gear. This tends to make the teeth break off the ring gear, because it is much weaker. If you compare a 2nd gen d60 to a 3rd gen aam 9.25 you'll see that the pinion centerline is above the axles on the newer trucks. Same applies to a high pinion d44, they came in 70's and early 80's f150's, broncos, and some f250's, they did actually build them with 8 bolt wheel flanges and big brakes. Good luck finding one, though. I would get a high pinion D44, get some good chrome moly axles, put in solid spicer u joints (the non-greaseable ones), and your diff of choice, it'll be strong enough if the gears are set up right. I would look at a truetrac worm gear diff, it's torque biasing, would let you steer but it doesn't spin under power, never tried one in a front on pavement though. Also, the brake caliper mounts bolt on between the knuckle and spindle, making lighter brakes easier to do. I say go for it!!! $.02,Good luck, Rob.

Yep, high pinion D44 with moly shafts, good ujoints, new gears should be fine. You're not drag racing with 40" tires, and the front won't see the grunt of the torque anyway. Keep your wheelhop down (suspension) and the axle should last fine.

I guess Im the only one who's seen 100's of these exploded. Hell no would I ever put the Cummins, 1000hp or not sitting over a d44. There are way to many weak links there. You can load the thing up with the top of the line shafts, drive flanges, and gears, you still run into a huge problem, the size of the ring and pinion. No way in hell it will take a 1100lbs motor sitting over it w/ a 1000hp hell even 400hp doing boosted launches, sorry it aint happening.

Looking for lighter weight? I dunno, I think it might be worth it to try somewhere elsewere to take weight out.

Looking for lighter weight? I dunno, I think it might be worth it to try somewhere elsewere to take weight out.

So the guys at work don't think it will work? I found a used one for $200 maybe I'll put it in like it is and see what goes first.

If the IFS in the dirty max holds I see no problem with a 44. You really don't have that much traction with the front. Jeff

Agreed.

And a 44 chrom moly shafts and u joints are better than stock 60 shafts and u joints. As far as stuff in the pumpkin...don't know.

Talked to my buddy today he said the way to go is a high pinion and chrmo shafts lake stated above.

I can't help but laugh at the thought of this. My buddy won't even consider a 44 in his 5000 pound jeep, even with a well built 44 (about$2,000 worth of parts) will snap under the load of his bone stock 6 cylinder gasser and 38" tires with ease, he has since went to a custom 14 bolt up front and mostly stock (with upgrade axles and gears only) 14 bolt out back with no problems.

Got a guy local to us that runs a Dana35 in the front of his 2800hp. sand drag truck. He has run the same parts for 5 seasons now.
I say go for the 44 high pinion, and see if you can make some people scratch their heads as to how it holds.

I can't help but laugh at the thought of this. My buddy won't even consider a 44 in his 5000 pound jeep, even with a well built 44 (about$2,000 worth of parts) will snap under the load of his bone stock 6 cylinder gasser and 38" tires with ease, he has since went to a custom 14 bolt up front and mostly stock (with upgrade axles and gears only) 14 bolt out back with no problems.

Something to think about a sm465 first gear(6.55:1) 205 low range(1.98:1) and 4.10 gears is 53.17:1.
My 47re first gear(2.45:1) direct in the transfercase and 3.55 rear is 8.7:1
At 1500 lbs of torque the offroad setup can put 79,755lbs of torque on the axle. Mine at 1500 lbs of torque is only 13,050lbs. Off road guys break things because of the torque multiplication.

Does anyone think a Dana 44 with chromoly axles and good off road u joints would hold up? Target weight is 5500 lbs and 1000+ hp to the wheels. Thanks Chris

My truck still has the original stock 44 up front. 207,000 miles on it. Spent its whole life plowing, in muddy job sites and has probably close to 500 passes on it in a 7500-8000 lb. truck with 700-1000 hp. In fact, the cover has never been off of it.

Good point Greg, I forgot all about the pre-02 superduty axles.

Were the early fords the Dana 50? Either way the pinions are the same size the ring gear is 1/2" larger on the 50. I wonder if the 50 gears can be used in a 44 housing.

My truck still has the original stock 44 up front. 207,000 miles on it. Spent its whole life plowing, in muddy job sites and has probably close to 500 passes on it in a 7500-8000 lb. truck with 700-1000 hp. In fact, the cover has never been off of it.

No, you have a dana 50, its a hybrid between the 44 and 60.

Were the early fords the Dana 50? Either way the pinions are the same size the ring gear is 1/2" larger on the 50. I wonder if the 50 gears can be used in a 44 housing.

D50- 9" ring gear, 30 Spline Axle shafts w/ a dia. of 1.21", I dont know what the stub shafts size is, but I believe its the same size as the D60's
D44- 8.5" ring gear, 30 Spline Inner Shafts w/ a dia. of 1.18, Stub Shats dia ?, but 19 spline.

The 4x4 guys at my work said to either grab one for cheap and just "see if it works" or find a way of putting lighter hubs/calipers/brakes on the axle you already have.

Can't you also find softer R&P to handle power better? The ones that are drag only stuff and never to be used for anything that racks lots of miles.......

Do you think the pinion will twist or the gears break? The reason I ask is because the front drive shaft is about 1.125" at the slip yoke and the dana 44has a pinion diameter of 1.376".

Look at what most of the other diffs use for a pinion shaft diameter. The D44 is small in comparison. What will happen in this case is that the pinion shaft will flex by the gear end since there is not a third bearing to support the pinion. Having the third bearing on the pinion is how the 9" based diffs survive so much abuse while still having a small pinion shaft diameter.

If/when the pinion deflects, the gears will break. I doubt a pinion shaft will snap unless there is some severe wheelhop or poor suspension setup.

What I have used in an off road application is a high pinion Dana 44. This is stronger because it is a "reverse rotation" ring and pinion; when driving forward, a standard or low pinion front axle is really driving on the coast or "backup" side of the ring gear. This tends to make the teeth break off the ring gear, because it is much weaker.

That isn't why the high pinion diffs break the way they do...

Can't you also find softer R&P to handle power better? The ones that are drag only stuff and never to be used for anything that racks lots of miles.......

I've never seen a set of the soft gears for a D44. They would probably have to be custom made, but if you have enough money you should have no problems getting some. The other thing to remember is that the material used in these "soft" gears can be hardened to any hardness you want. The same material is used in the gears made for nascar as the soft drag race gears, just hardened differently.

A couple of things to think about:

1. The mid '90s trucks had D60s with 30 spline axles. D44s use the same diameter 30 spline axle. At best, the later 32 spline axles used in the 60s would be a slight improvement but I wouldn't expect much.

2. The u-joint in a 60 is HUGE compared to that of a 44

3. The pinion shaft in a 60 is quite a bit larger than that of a 44.

4. The ring gear on a 60 is obviously bigger. This makes it possible for there to be more tooth contact between the ring and pinion. The Ford 9" has a bit of advantage here since the pinion is more offset than either the 44 or 60, which allows more tooth contact in a smaller package.

All this said, I think it will work but you will probably be on the edge with it. Especially if using slicks. An automatic foot braked car will probably give it the most chance of living. If you can afford it, I'd try to go the 9" route. It will be substantially cheaper if you can do the work yourself, but still more than what you would likely have in a 44.

D50- 9" ring gear, 30 Spline Axle shafts w/ a dia. of 1.21", I dont know what the stub shafts size is, but I believe its the same size as the D60's
D44- 8.5" ring gear, 30 Spline Inner Shafts w/ a dia. of 1.18, Stub Shats dia ?, but 19 spline.

Your shaft diameters are wrong.

D44 - 30 spline inners 1.31" diameter
D50 - 30 spline inners 1.31" diameter
'94-'99ish D60 - 30 spline inners 1.31" diameter
'99ish - '02 D60 - 32 spline inners 1.41" diameter

Back