DDP 90's went in and now have a rattle, need advice

adding 50 micro seconds to the pilot? duration or timing? 50 towards tdc makes sense to me, but duration would not. As for quiet idle, that's not a problem, it's from idle to 2k rpm, or a bit beyond.

TRITON

Thanks! That kinda sums it up for me then...

I already shipped my injectors back to Jamie @ CumminsPerformanceParts.com he seems to think I lost a shim located behind the plunger??? After he talked to his injector guru... (I check them all and found no shims in what I did replacing the nozzles) then he will ship to Pro-formance Injector service in Clearfield, PA if need be.

I'm gonna tell him to send them any way because I want the piece of mind they are in good order or not (only 45k on them)...

Also I believe there is something else going on with the injector nozzles i got because there is IMO a lot of smoke at idle and always a a lot haze and smoke when accelerating... Surging at idle and cruising on highway too..

Is that normal for 100HP nozzles??? I feel like I'm polluting big time... Not where I wanted to be with my mods..

Any Opinions???

Thanks

I think the shim you are refering to is only on the newer injector bodies. If yours are originals they wouldnt have them. The smoke at idle is not normal..Theres more than one way to modify a nozzle. What process is CPP using? Is the company doing the testing going to be able to give you a flow sheet? I would be curious how balanced the nozzles are.

Fair amount of info - updates from very qualified persons recently, any more input Marco?
How bout we put our heads together and schedule a date where a few of us could spend some time to hash this out, heck it doesn't even need to happen at a place with a dyno, any road will do, I know I would be able to make it, pretty sure Buddy would be too, and I'm sure we could find a location central to both of us that has another couple trucks willing to get this settled/ figured out. At this point I would be willing to pay something to get it settled, I caught myself looking at a Bullydog for sale in the classified section just yesterday, so you know I am desperate !

mikmaze,
you realize what you're asking for? :-D
It's a loooong and expensive trip to the US from here. Too bad we did not plan anything about that while I was in Florida. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying no but at this moment in time I have not planned a next trip to the US.

That's the reason why I asked for someone to send me over their injectors....

Let me say this one more time, send me ( anybody with an 04.5 to 07 ) your rattling injectors and I'll jump onto this HARD. At the same time, I've got the dyno here and a lot of test equipment that may be useful to trace this rattle down. If need be, I'm willing to pay for a set of stock injectors so that the truck can be driven while I work on that "problem".

IF ( notice! I say I F ) there's something that can be done through the software, I'll figure it out.

Guy's I don't know what more I could offer than this....

Marco

Last edited:
I know, I tried to entice Bob to get you guys to head this way after Florida, guess he didn't pass it on. I do know what you are capable of, I just don't think it is going to rattle on your truck, seems each one is different. Otherwise, everyone with 100 hp and up injectors would be chiming in reporting the problem. any thoughts as to what Don said about adding 50 micro seconds? many ways to interpret that, my thought was to move the pilot 50 closer to the timing of the main event, if you can change the spacing on the events is another thing I don't know. Trust me, if I could afford to put my truck into a container and send it to ya I would.

Marco its your BBQ and it smells good but for me I just don't have the time to get mine out and send em, WISH I COULD!!!

Is there any way to write up some different tuning and email the files to us that have this issue? I know you would like to have the injectors there but what if they didn't do it in your truck?

I think the shim you are refering to is only on the newer injector bodies. If yours are originals they wouldnt have them. The smoke at idle is not normal..Theres more than one way to modify a nozzle. What process is CPP using? Is the company doing the testing going to be able to give you a flow sheet? I would be curious how balanced the nozzles are.

The nozzles are made through EDM and flow matched.... I'm not so sure but now I'm thinking this facility just might be making the nozzle for CPP..

I'm gonna call the testing facility and ask questions today... I talked to them the other day about what was going on but didn't ask about a flow sheet... I was concerned more about other issues in what was causing the smoke...

Is there any way to write up some different tuning and email the files to us that have this issue?

Yes I could do that but there's a 'lil problem. The possible combination(s) of duration(s) & timing(s) and stuff are almost endless. That would take a LOT of software's to be send & tested. Then again, I would not hear the differences between one and the next thing. That makes it hard then to really understand
( for me ) how to proceed into the right direction. That's IF there's a way to solve the rattle through a software band aid.

I know you would like to have the injectors there but what if they didn't do it in your truck?

Yeah, I hear you! BUT I'd dare to say that IF the problem is what I'm guessing then the injectors will do it in my truck too. Anyhow, if we want a solution to any problem, we'll need to start from somewhere...

Marco

Hey I just thought of someone that has a set of injectors they are not using, and he has posted in this thread. Don, Might you have a set in the flux 2 to flux 2.5 range that Marco could try? I only suggest those levels due to the fact that Marco is only runing a stock cp3 iirc? They don't have to be brand new, a set of swaps that are in good shape perhaps ? Also , you didn't comment on you ability to move the timing of the pilot event closer to the main injection event. Not looking for you to disclose any trade secrets if that is one of them, just trying for resolution. I feel like I am one man on a soapbox ranting away, maybe its not a big deal, but I sure read plenty about it from other folks that seem to have grown tired of talking about it. Maybe I need to just sit back and wait for SSR, after all, it can't be far from release.

as I posted earlier, I've been on this soap box for years. I've asked for help for years. I think I'm likely the first to have had such an issue with the rattle cause it seemed no one heard of the problem when I first started asking about it. I doubt it's a injector problem because I've been through several different sets, they all couldn't have been bad. I've recently asked for programming help but, don't get a response. My truck is the prime example of this rattle and with the right help in programming could probably come up with something. Doubt that will ever happen though.

Marco I kinda figured it would be a pain for ya to try and tune this out, just wanted your thoughts on that as it might be hard for you to get your hands on someone's injectors that have this issue.
Just felling you out thats all bra... Be patient with us... LOL

My next question is dose anyone have this issue with aftermarket injectors and a stock cp3?

other things I have eliminated as possible causes, cp3 "timing" I have heard folks talk of this and eliminated this when I switched cp3's, and further eliminated it as a cause by adding a second cp3. there is no way in heck both are timed the same now, eliminated that chance by rotating the pulley on #2 180 degrees.

sheesh, in lieu of answers, I guess I just have just to bump this along, the problem didn't fix itself.

wait for efi live or ssr or get use to it seems to be your answers.

YEP.... thats our only hope I guess other than pulling the injectors and shipping them across the pond.

Anyone have the time to pull theirs and swap in a stock set for abit?

2hr ride to work and 10 hr days and 8hrs on Saturdays has me tied up!

he needs a helluva lot more than just the nozzles to produce the rattle, he needs a worked cp3 and a supply side pump as well, even then we both know people with similar setups that don't rattle, seems to be the "lucky" trucks that do.

he needs a helluva lot more than just the nozzles to produce the rattle, he needs a worked cp3 and a supply side pump as well, even then we both know people with similar setups that don't rattle, seems to be the "lucky" trucks that do.

Weeellll, I actually HAVE a "worked" CP3 sitting here waiting to be installed. On the supply side of things, that's been taken care off a long time ago.

I can duplicate whatever it takes to make the rattle. That's not the problem.
The problem is that I don't have the injectors that do it.

My personal opinion , based upon very limited experience with the rattle, is that it's something that is directly related to the sticks. With the software I may ( or not ) be able to find a band aid, Yet, I think that it would be nothing else than a work around for this problem. In other words, possibly I could make the rattle go away but that's not solving the problem at it's roots. Dunno, makes sense?

Marco

Marco what is your thought on the rattle starting after the truck starts to get up to operating temps? Is this a heat issue with our sticks maybe?

Don't know just thinkin out loud abit....

Back