Diesel Jr Dragster Build

I just noticed it looks like there is a starter on it too, that one they would probably hold you to the rule about NOT being self-starting, as I have been told that it is an insurance requirement that the kids not be able to start the cars themselves. I think they just did it so they could laugh at the parents lugging these starters around ;)

I just noticed it looks like there is a starter on it too, that one they would probably hold you to the rule about NOT being self-starting, as I have been told that it is an insurance requirement that the kids not be able to start the cars themselves. I think they just did it so they could laugh at the parents lugging these starters around ;)

Can you just leave the battery off? Just get a jumper battery that you can plug in when you need to start it.

Heck, you could have the starter solenoid and switch on the battery pack for that matter.

Here's what the NHRA rule says:
STARTER
Pull-rope or remote starter mandatory. Any driver-activated/operated
starting system prohibited.

Not sure what they consider remote, but I would think it would suffice if it takes an external device to start it (either battery or a plug-in starter button).

Here is what it says about batteries:
BATTERIES
Dry cell batteries only permitted. Maximum total weight
5 pounds. Must be securely mounted outside driver’s compartment.

I would imagine if you had a kill switch outside/ inside and a starter button outside both where the driver could not reach to it would be ok but i would check with them

We arent going to be NHRA legal anyways as they do not recognize diesel as a legal fuel. We have the ability to remove the starter if we need to, but for now it is there. There is a drycell battery mounted in a secure nhra approved box in the front. There is an in cab cut off switch as well as a master switch on the outside. It is coming together quite nicely. I will post up some more pics as soon as I get them. Should have the body back from the body shop soon painted to look like moms chevy race truck. Should look good parked side by side.

Good catch Michael. There is a starter there now, but it can be easily removed. We have a remote starter that came with the car as well.

Pasted below is a message I just sent to our NHRA division tech director. For everyone who is an NHRA member, please also contact your division tech director and politely ask them to consider this rule change.

Regards,
Michael Pliska
Dave,
Do you handle tech issues for Jr Dragsters as well? I am wondering if it is possible to get the rules revised to allow diesel as a fuel? As you probably know, there is a growing segment of diesel-only drag races. Several racers have expressed interest in building diesel powered Jr Dragsters for their kids. One was built in Calgary but never run, and another is nearing completion in Fort St. John BC. I am interested in building a diesel engine for my daughter's Jr Dragster in the near future as well, both to run at the diesel events as well as conventional Jr Dragster races.

In these tough economic times it would seem prudent to include this growing sub-category of drag racing into the Jr ranks. I suspect people would use small diesel engines from applications such as RV generators. Obviously the fuel itself is even more safe than gasoline or alcohol. Probably the most significant difference from a spark ignition engine would be the form of shutoff. Probably the most common method would be a fuel shutoff solenoid, which could be wired similar to the existing shutoffs used with spark ignition engines.

Thanks and regards,
Michael Pliska

The committee is considering it, but they want to know how much (if any) weight is added by running a diesel. Does anyone have weights for comparison?

Thanks,
Michael

JR dragster

I checked on one for my son's jr and I think the diesel motor was around 75 to 80 pounds more. That's a lot on one of them little cars.

After being in Mission this last weekend, it seems that there will probably be a few more of these popping up in the near future.

Hopefully to the point that we can just add them to the nhrda circuit.

So cool.thanks for the effort guys! I've been talking about building one of these for a couple of years now. I don't have kids but I love the sport and this is a great way to introduce kids at a young age. Now if we could just get diesel in the nhra! Any movement on that?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I'll ping our division tech director and see if he has heard anything. Last time I asked about this he said they were considering it (which was a feat in itself).

I'll ping our division tech director and see if he has heard anything. Last time I asked about this he said they were considering it (which was a feat in itself).

Kool. Thanks Michael! Your always on top of this stuff!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Sent the email, but it sometimes takes him a few days to respond. If all else fails I should be seeing him in a few weeks and will get an answer by then for sure!

I'm about to start rebuilding my daughter's crashed Jr (new cage & front spindle), and am also starting the build of a new 7.90 car for her to run 2 years from now. If I finish the 7.90 car sooner I may use the existing car to install a diesel into. Either way I will set up the engine & clutch on a "motor plate" to make it easy to swap back & forth. I can swap engines very quickly with our current setup.

Back