Drive pressure particle trap?

That's interesting, thats a BFT if it can work on negative DP:BP ratio :Cheer:
How much higher? 1-3 or more?

BFT? (big f-en turbo?) 1:2-ish (drive vs boost) at most take depending on the tune and where the gate is set. I run a spring actuated (ED/bullseye) style. It's not u common to run decent acceleration at 40psi boost and only see 20psi of drive.

I doubt it, but it could just be misleading me a little, I plan to replace the drive pressure gauge with a new one this spring. especially if this little tube of yours works

i believe you. you dont have to waste your time man. i cant figure out how its possible tho lol

It's always been like that as far as I recall. never had a DP gauge on the stock turbo. just this one and the last one. It's not a slow moving gauge problem as far as I can tell. take an air compressor to the back the gauge and it reads instantly. The tubes get cleaned out when the gauge clogs up when I have things apart. -- maybe it's a stock cam thing on a dodge? LOL

Last edited:
so how would this setup work on your truck jason when dp is plumbed to the top of a bov, boost on the bottom yet boost is higher than dp? that means the bov will not infact work if dp is less than boost correct? or if you let off quickly, does your drive pressure drop to close to 0 psi before your boost does?

so how would this setup work on your truck jason when dp is plumbed to the top of a bov, boost on the bottom yet boost is higher than dp? that means the bov will not infact work if dp is less than boost correct? or if you let off quickly, does your drive pressure drop to close to 0 psi before your boost does?

Are you talking about external wastegate or BOV (on the intake)

I don't have a BOV installed currnetly. I have one on the shelf. Pondering installing it still. heh. The one I have is the Turbosmart electronic one that's TPS activated.

How it's supposed to work AFAIK:

1. Boost is applied only to the top. There is no drive pressure plumbing

2. As boost rises it applies more pressure to the top in addition to the spring that's already in there. so, say you have 5psi worth of valve pressure with the spring only you have Boost+5psi holding boost back

3. Lift on the TPS. a valve pre-BOV opens and vents boost allowing intake boost to overcome the BOV pressure.

Are you talking about external wastegate or BOV (on the intake)

I don't have a BOV installed currnetly. I have one on the shelf. Pondering installing it still. heh. The one I have is the Turbosmart electronic one that's TPS activated.

How it's supposed to work AFAIK:

1. Boost is applied only to the top. There is no drive pressure plumbing

2. As boost rises it applies more pressure to the top in addition to the spring that's already in there. so, say you have 5psi worth of valve pressure with the spring only you have Boost+5psi holding boost back

3. Lift on the TPS. a valve pre-BOV opens and vents boost allowing intake boost to overcome the BOV pressure.
lol i understand how they work, ran the bd bov on my old duallie for a few years, worked as need, my question to you is how would you run a BOV on your truck with DP plumbed to the top if your boost is in fact higher than your drive pressure what i just cant see. i dont understand how drive pressure can be less than boost under load. how can a turbo make like you stated say 40psi and have drive at only 20psi? i just dont think its possible and thats just me, so thats why i asked.

welll just ordered a new Tial 50mm bov so as soon as you get these filters ready to go, please send me a pm . thanks buddy.

It's always been like that as far as I recall. never had a DP gauge on the stock turbo. just this one and the last one. It's not a slow moving gauge problem as far as I can tell. take an air compressor to the back the gauge and it reads instantly. The tubes get cleaned out when the gauge clogs up when I have things apart. -- maybe it's a stock cam thing on a dodge? LOL

I don't know much about the cummins motor but, maybe it has something to do with the I6 and the design of the exhaust manifold vs a v8 exhaust manifolds. And the flow of the heads? I'm pretty sure the cummins (stock) has a poorly flowing cylinder head on it? The cummins flows well on the exhaust side and poorly on the intake side IMO. I'm a duramax guy and don't think I have heard of drive pressure being lower than boost pressure in a dmax.

lol i understand how they work, ran the bd bov on my old duallie for a few years, worked as need, my question to you is how would you run a BOV on your truck with DP plumbed to the top if your boost is in fact higher than your drive pressure what i just cant see. i dont understand how drive pressure can be less than boost under load. how can a turbo make like you stated say 40psi and have drive at only 20psi? i just dont think its possible and thats just me, so thats why i asked.

i dunno dude. trickery from ED on the housing?

And when you said load. how much? 1/2 throttle? WOT? at WOT it's 1:1 or worse for sure. Unlocked converter it's 1:1 more often then not, but the rpm's are much higher then they need to be vs locked (or manual trans).

lemme get some time to edit that video.. iMovie sucks for larges 15 minute video's.

Last edited:
Well at any rate I'm ready to see how DP runs a BOV...
shoptruck02.jpeg

shoptruck03.jpeg

at WOT it's 1:1 or worse for sure.
Worse as in greater DP than Boos Pressure?

Drove the truck this morning, tried to work the BOV but it doesn't seem to work much on a STOCK truck, automatic to boot. But I did install a fairly hefty BOV spring, If it doesn't work directly I have some other tricks. So I ordered some parts to get the boost up. For a guy with a dyno in his shop floor I have no idea WHY I'm road testing.... maybe because there is a car parked on dyno :( Oh well at least the filter got some test time.
Considering how long it takes to clog a non-filtered line, testing is going to be a long process.

Last edited:
I read about a guy using no spring on another forum to get his to work on a stock truck.

Try the small spring (I assume your using one of your BOV's).

Report back on how it works.

I am interested as well.

I read about a guy using no spring on another forum to get his to work on a stock truck.

Try the small spring (I assume your using one of your BOV's).

Report back on how it works.

I am interested as well.

:hehe:a JGS600BOV :rockwoot: As if anything else would do.

I have a 104mm sitting here but well ummm it would be hard to weld a 4" tube to a 3" charge pipe :aiwebs_029:

Either small spring OR I could some boost on the lift port to shove it open when the DP vents.... Hmmm I need time on my own dyno :bang

Other news on this project- We will be running them tomorrow! MTL they should be done tomorrow or Thursday.
I did order a DP gauge and a Edge juice with attitude (gauges mainly) for my test truck... Starting my diesel journey.

I'd buy one. Add me to the waiting list.

sent from my hacked and modded twin turbo DX2

Back