DT 466 F350 All purpose build w/ real intent on completion.

Well, you probably all thought I gave up looking for stuff a long time ago.

Truth is, I've been busy with other stuff, but always thinking of the dt engine in a ford truck idea.

So, I just bought a bus, with a dt360, damaged from a collision, but drivable condition.
It has an auto trans though, but oh well, it's a start, and I should be able to harvest lots of parts.

Why did I go dt360 instead of 466? Because the 466 is just overkill for what I wanted, woulda been a harder project, and also I noticed diesel fuel isn't getting any cheaper lately. Hopefully this can be an awesome truck, but still feasible to keep on the road.

Soon I'll be on the lookout for a f250 or 350 2003 to 2008 in really good condition but with major engine issues for really cheap.
I wanted it to be a 2008 style truck, but I bet I find a 6.0 for cheaper. Missed out on one a few months ago for 4000$.

Well, I got the bus home.
I almost feel bad I have to take it apart, it was in a fleet, perfect running condition, then hit on the side by a car.
It's 100% and would probably make it across the nation, except the dent in the side.
But oh well, I certainly didn't need a bus right now, so she's coming apart for parts.

The bus has 400,000 miles, 140,000 on engine.
It runs perfect, no issues at all.
A little oily near the oil cooler, but not leaking enough to drip, just enough to collect dust around it.

The allison 545 is a big huge joke, I can't believe anyone would even buy a vehicle with this transmission ever. 2800 RPM down the highway, and theres so much slip, that a headwind or hill comes, and you lose speed quickly, even throttle matted.

The bus has air brakes, and they work perfect. Didn't lose any air sitting over night, and I think thats pretty good for an older bus.

If I punch the throttle, a bit of black smoke comes out, but running at idle, the exhaust is perfectly clear, no haze, nothing. I think this thing is running pretty great.

I'm going to start hacking away at the engine bay today, should get a bit done.
Taking stuff apart is always the easy part.
I'm going to take the air system out too, to put in the f350 later.

Stil not sure about the donor truck, been finding a few, but not sure if it should be a 2003-2007, or 2008-2010. We'll see how coastal does with his electronics haha.

Haha..feel free to send me the air compressor from that bus for safe storage!

OK Well,

It's finally happening... although slightly different.
Instead of the dt466, it's gonna be a dt360.
As aweome as the dt466 is, theres really no point, unless you want to go into extreme racing and stuff.
The dt360 can easily make enough power to destroy off the shelf driveline parts, so the 466 really has no benefit to me, as I don't want a high expense truck.

I haven't had any luck with pictures lately, but heres the thread on FTE with pictures to see the truck and bus.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1337677-6-4-truck-swap-to-a-navistar-inline-6-dt360-project.html

I am very excited, but it is not a quick process for me. I am taking the dt360 motor into the garage for the winter, where I hopefully will have it all rebuilt and ready to go for spring. Nothing wrong with it, just want to freshen it up, and get the new pistons coated with the ceramic stuff to help them live long and healthy.

I am going to try and use a 6+ ( 7 speed spicer) transmission like "coastal" did for his, but I think I will have to pay 3000$ for a rebuild one instead of the 1500$ he got his for.
That transmission has overdrive.

I got the bus for 1100$ totally drivable, was hit on the door by a car, so it was in service and runs great and everything.
I got the truck for 2500$, motor issues but should make a great donor, plus a lot of 6.4 parts for my other truck.

I plan on finding a p7100 pump, getting carson souffer to modify it, and send adapter pump gear and stuff, and lines and injectors.
I might have it run up to 3200 RPM or so, but nothing serious that will need different head work.

I lucked out, try calling all the small medium duty truck repair shops in your area, that's how I found mine.

Did carson get you a price on the p pump stuff? I haven't gotten a reply.

I lucked out, try calling all the small medium duty truck repair shops in your area, that's how I found mine.

Did carson get you a price on the p pump stuff? I haven't gotten a reply.

Ya I can't remember lol.
I think it might have been 600 or 800 to modify the pump.
Nothing crazy.

I just wanted to update this thread, for any poor guy searching the internet for information on a dt466 swap.
Don't do it.

I am building a 2008 f250 with a dt360, which you will notice is very different from what I was thinking at the start of this thread.
I attached a pic of the bus with dt360 i bought, and the truck i bought as well.

There are a lot of reasons the 466 is a terrible idea.
It is huge and heavy.
What front end will handle it?
Huge 5 ton axles, thats what.
Good luck finding a 5 ton axle with decent gear ratios.

Transfer case?
Either a 600 lb bohemith, or an scs transfer case, either one needs lots of money to get going.

Transmission?
What can you even use? Sure there are medium duty transmissions, but they are massive and slow shifting, maybe good for a 2wd dually project if you wanted to tow trailers.

It really brings up the question "Why? Why do I want a 466?" I understand the big mechanical engines are reliable, neat, and can hold huge power, but the size of a 466 means that there is so much sacrifice going on, that it won't be a very nice truck.

I thought of using the dt466, 6 speed medium duty manual, big transfer case, and big 5 ton axles. At first it might seem like a great idea, but it is dumb. Even try to find big axles with juice brakes. Or ABS sensors. Maybe it would work good for an old 80's or 90's truck.
But even then, it's going to drive like a 5 ton, not a 1 ton. And I wanted to retain some fuel economy. How can you with a 466? Super low RPM, like 1400 for an empty pickup truck, and the gear ratios don't exist to make that happen.

So if your reading this, looking for dt466 swap info, just rethink it, go dt360. Save yourself the trouble, a dt466 is only good for big trucks or purpose built drag or sled pulling.

The dt360 is capable of 1000+ hp, so really what more do you want? 1000 hp is going to give you around 2000 ft/lbs of TQ, so unless your prepared to redesign the entire truck and drivetrain, there is no point in going bigger. Unless 7.6 liter sounds so much sexier than 5.9 liter, that your willing to build a really crappy truck you wont like, and wont drive nice, just for bragging rights.

I love DT engines, 466 especially, but in reality I wanted to build a nice truck, not a bragging rights kind of truck.

I am putting the dt360 in the 2008 f250, and I plan on using the stock truck, transmission, transfer case, axles, all stock.
I will use an adapter plate for the transmission, and found a guy to program the ECM to run the 5r110. I looked into transmission upgrades, but the end of the story is that racing parts wear out faster, so we are going to use the stock transmission untouched.
Power is going to be around 500 hp, give or take 50 hp.
The one thing I might do, is put a really low stall TQ converter on the transmission, to help get power to the ground, and keep the transmission alive longer.

If you read the earlier parts of the thread, you know I was conerned about ball joints and axle lifespan. Instead of going crazy and putting different axles under it, I decided I am going to install a softer suspension. Softer more cushioned impacts to the axles from the truck, should make them last longer over rough terrain and crappy roads. An impact stopped over 2" of travel puts a lot more stress on axles and ball joints than the same impact being absorbed over 4" of travel.
Instead of a cheap 6" lift kit, I am aiming for a small lift kit, maybe 4" or 5", but air bags or softer springs. All about the ride quality.

So basically, before you do what I did, and get fixed on an idea, rethink things, and maybe there is a better path to get what your after.
Don't build a huge mistake, then figure out later there was a better way, after it's too late.
I think my dt360 f250 will be a great truck, and it's a practical project, unlike my 466 wants. I think it will ride nice, run nice, give everything I was after, and if something does break, theres not a whole lot of custom drivetrain parts that only certain places will fix.

As for this thread, some might call it a giant waste, but there is a lot of great information that many have tossed in here, and regardless of a dt360 or dt466 build, anyone thinking of doing this should read through. I thank each and every one of you for your ideas and comments. I will update this as well later once I start rebuilding the dt360. It was running perfect, but figure might as well do a rebuid while it's out, for what it costs.
$_20.JPG

10723580_10204012736495386_553306035_n.jpg

heres a few pictures.
Probably not much gonna happen till warmer weather.

Attachments

• 10723580_10204012736495386_553306035_n.jpg
    10723580_10204012736495386_553306035_n.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • 10733661_10204012732375283_1053662885_n.jpg
    10733661_10204012732375283_1053662885_n.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 10736143_10204012732695291_1754106090_n.jpg
    10736143_10204012732695291_1754106090_n.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00092.jpg
    DSC00092.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00090.jpg
    DSC00090.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 0
I don't think the weight will be a big issue, no worse than hanging a plow off the front. And on my IH I only had to make a 4" deep doghouse, the factory dash and carpeting will hide it like it was never changed. With the right pump and turbo work there's no reason you can't get 3500 Rpm out of a 466. I've never needed more than that with my IDI. And unless you plan on racing I don't see an issue with the medium duty trans, the one that was behind my 466 shifted fine.

I don't think the weight will be a big issue, no worse than hanging a plow off the front. And on my IH I only had to make a 4" deep doghouse, the factory dash and carpeting will hide it like it was never changed. With the right pump and turbo work there's no reason you can't get 3500 Rpm out of a 466. I've never needed more than that with my IDI. And unless you plan on racing I don't see an issue with the medium duty trans, the one that was behind my 466 shifted fine.

You might be totally correct, but my only point was that for someone like me, looking to do a dt engine swap, there is no point in using a dt466. The dt360 is more than capable of destroying any drivetrain parts you could attach, including medium duty parts. They seem like they are very similar built engines, just as tough and durable and such, the only difference being the dt466 is heavier and larger and more displacement.
Sure the dt466 might be capable of 3000 HP instead of the dt360's 2000 hp, but I highly doubt anyone will ever ever come close to either of those numbers in a reliable drivable pickup truck, so whats the real benefit to using a dt466?

I mean no disrespect for dt466 enthusiasts, I am one. But I no longer believe it is a practical engine to use for a truck, unless it's a purpose built truck for racing or sled pulling.
And guys with snow plows do have some weight issues here and there, so it's not like this would be a non issue.

Every dt466 truck I've seen so far seems heavily sacrificed in many areas just to make it work, which isn't what I wanted, plus the guys that built them seem a lot better at truck building than I am, so I doubt mine would be better.

To each their own, but I decided to go the dt360 route, and keep power in line where the stock drivetrain can handle it. I want to get this thing done, not finish building it and spend years getting it running right and fighting to safety it and get it on the road.

It won't be the fastest or strongest truck ever made, but I think it should be pretty durable and powerful and the duty cycle should be great, unlike dyno queen trucks that can manage 900 hp 20 seconds at a time.

that allison is worn out and slipping, one in good cond works fine, i prefer the 6 series with lockup, the spicer trans are notorious for their shifting, I drive an eaton fso 6406 they shift precisely and cleanly. good luck with that stock ford trans, it won't like the torque

Last edited:
Back