Duraflite Q&A; the good and the bad. Tell me about it

Average_Ass_LB7

Big Time Small Timer
Looking for some real world expertise!

Anyone ever done a duraflite aka 48 swap into their Duramax powered vehicles in here?

Will be doing a full gut, re-doing cage and pushing towards a strict competition truck instead of a street truck with probably too much power lol.

Currently sitting at 6950lbs and like to be 5500 or lighter

I have a competition NoZone Allison and so far it's been treating me well, but obviously the weak link of an Allison is its shifting speed and also being a slightly heavier transmission.

Just like to hear from anyone who's personally done a duraflite conversion, installed, or personally involved in one.

Would also entertain anyone who's done a 4r swap as those continue to become popular and be a reliable platform as well

Thanks

Probably worth about 3 tenths give or take, but consistency is the larger factor. If an Allison trans truck breaks traction and spins, it's game over. A Dodge trans doesn't care!

I have a little experience with that.... .3 is not realistic. I’d say a little over a tenth, but definitely more consistent and less expensive to maintain.

Yep. There have been considerable improvements to the Allison since we made the switch. However, i still recommend the Duraflite over the Allison for an all out build.

I should of made the build more pronounced, Dyno'd several times and consistently made just under 1500hp on chassis dyno with a 1300us fuel only tune.

Once I drop weight I would consider the truck to immediately go mid 9's (with the allison) but I'm getting the point where a .10 or more would be a big deal/convenient where maybe if someone was running 11's 12's... couple tenths might be obtained with other modifications besides completely swapping a trans.

We're entering the 'off season' and I have a grocery list of things to do with the truck, I just hate to do all the weight loss, re-do cage, suspension/chassis and go out this spring and be disappointed by the performance of the Allison once I hit the track

I ran the Qualifier at UCC last year and was invited to compete this coming year so trying to make the truck as efficient as possible with the power it makes.

Never messed with any 48's but I am not opposed to jumping in head first and learning, just curious if people were satisfied or not after doing the swap!

Last edited:
Not sure I want to make the $$ commitment to a TH400, with lockup you're looking at just around 8k I believe for a neal chance lockup converter for them. That's not including the core any of parts of installation.

Plus I will still have to sled pull for events I compete at, and I like hooking in the open class once or twice a summer. Don't believe that trans is optimal for anything besides drag racing

Do It! Best thing for what you want to do. Buck helped me out in the beginning and got the base line. 9 seasons of running one behind a big HP DMAX and i'd never do anything else.

There are the Allison diehards/chest thumpers, but most of them are making money on building Allisons, not campaigning a true high HP, duramax, heavy race truck. For a privateer that has a limited budget, it is the hands down winner. Easy to learn how to fix and replace parts if needed.

1st gear lockup is a plus and easy tuning with PCS is full proof. You can tune it for street, drag and sled pulling. Shifts are quick and sharp.

I might have to change my tune, saw Mark Broviak just went 5.54 at 130 in his pro mod with an Allison.....seems like a pretty good mph to e.t. ratio....

Yep. There have been considerable improvements to the Allison since we made the switch. However, i still recommend the Duraflite over the Allison for an all out build.

Hey Man!!! Hope you guys are doing well.

Do It! Best thing for what you want to do. Buck helped me out in the beginning and got the base line. 9 seasons of running one behind a big HP DMAX and i'd never do anything else.

There are the Allison diehards/chest thumpers, but most of them are making money on building Allisons, not campaigning a true high HP, duramax, heavy race truck. For a privateer that has a limited budget, it is the hands down winner. Easy to learn how to fix and replace parts if needed.

1st gear lockup is a plus and easy tuning with PCS is full proof. You can tune it for street, drag and sled pulling. Shifts are quick and sharp.

Thanks for the detailed info Rob!:thankyou2: It's greatly appreciated, my biggest worry is my ability to do mid season service/repair or even able to drop and repair at the track but maybe these 48's aren't that scary to work on?

Did you run a FMVB, anteater, air shifter?

Did you build your own from scratch or did you start with a firepunk, randys, IKT, or someone else's build?

Thanks for the detailed info Rob!:thankyou2: It's greatly appreciated, my biggest worry is my ability to do mid season service/repair or even able to drop and repair at the track but maybe these 48's aren't that scary to work on?

Did you run a FMVB, anteater, air shifter?

Did you build your own from scratch or did you start with a firepunk, randys, IKT, or someone else's build?

I'd think it would be a much simpler undertaking compared to the Allison-

I run one in my race truck. I used a Suncoast kit with PCS controller. Tuning with the PCS works very well. You put it in drive and put your foot to the floor, the controller does all the shifting. You can turn overdrive on and off, lock or unlock the convers manually if you like, and switch tunes with a toggle switch. You can even run a trans brake.

If you can work on your Allison you can work on a 47/48, I have been in both of them.

Kinda fast and reliable- duraflight
All out race- lock up 400

For strength, consistency, many ratios available, crazy good t brake, aftermarket cases available, stupid easy and cheap to rebuild, direct bolt up, what else could you ask for in a purpose built race car or light truck. Its what every fast car runs these days the powerglide is out and 400 took its place. Just to many options there. The trans DONT have to cost that much, shop it around. Don't call Rossler unless you have that kind of cash. Go see your local hot rod trans shop. He will build you a fresh th400 for less than 500 bucks, buy your own 300M input shaft, t brake valve body/ solinod, and a lockup converter. If you have a decant hot rod tranny guy around he will put you a unit together on the cheap....as compaired to calling Rossler. Neal chance would be the best choice for the converter bur there are good much cheaper options. Go sit down with a couple trans shop owners find a 400 guru

Ryan, do you think they would hold up on a truck around 6k pounds?

Kinda fast and reliable- duraflight
All out race- lock up 400

guru

I understand there has been progression with the TH400 being compatible on drag diesel's

But for what I do with the truck I believe a more traditional trans that came from a light duty diesel is what I need.

If I was building a STRICT drag truck then I would potentially push more towards a TH400 but the build/truck is more multifaceted then that

Back