Engine break in

:lolly:...You guys and the no coolant....:nail:

because coolant is SO over rated...LOL

If the engine is built to the correct specs it really dont need a break in.

Flat tappet camshaft is the only concern, use high quality oil run @ 1500-2500 Rpm for 10 min after at opperating temp, shut off, let cool down and let her rip.

Use standard oil with a break in additive. No coolant until it gets closer to temp gets added minus the t-stat to avoid hot spots. Vary the throttle for 30 minutes and change it a few hundred RPM every 2 minutes. A throttle depressor is your friend here. Run the engine with a load after this initial break in is best and vary the throttle up and down. If you dont have a load I suggest locking out OD for awhile and going back and forth. At 1000 miles dump the initial oil and put in whatever you like. Ive never once had a return on a single engine rebuild with my method.

Do you realize the thermostat is a calibrated restriction and is a key component in fluid path?

Do you realize the thermostat is a calibrated restriction and is a key component in fluid path?

That's what I was thinking. I'd think no t-stat would be worse for hot spots because it wouldn't hold enough pressure in the block to keep the water against the jackets.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

sorry I was typing fast. I meant no radiator cap and some coolant is added before fire, just not topped off and cap sealed. Im surprised none of the guys who have watched me break in numerous engines didnt correct me first.

Last edited:
Back