feedback on my project please.

M249cummins

I decided to start a project and wanted to build something just insanely impractical, barely legal/if at all, fast and head turning. I call it project Hoonigan. I have a 89 d150 2wd RCLB gas. I want to turn it into a 4x4 diesel street truck, almost like something from mad max/fast and furious. I have 30in Hoosier slicks on 16x10 steel wheels it will be on, on front and rear. full length Dana 80 in the rear and Dana 60 up front. I will be running a nv4500 and a 241dhd. I'm about to start a parallel 4 link in the rear tomorrow. getting rid of most of the rear frame. open bottom of bed and only 2 bed sides.

will have a full chromoly cage with nascar bars. pretty much a 4x4 drag truck but it turns too lol.

I am considering putting 1/2 ton front leaf springs on it up front with a coilover to give me the lower stance I want. inner fenders will be gone anyway.

will have a fresh rebuilt 12v 5.9 cummins with a twin turbo setup and nitrous around 800hp

opinions welcome and needed.

Last edited:
Pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 0
plan to get rid of the rear end after the black paint. don't know why pictures are sideways, I suck at life...:Cheer:

No desire to keep it 2wd and just run a big tire on it huh? An auto will be a lot quicker than a stick. Jmho

No desire to keep it 2wd and just run a big tire on it huh? An auto will be a lot quicker than a stick. Jmho

No desire what so ever to keep it 2wd and it will have a nv4500. I personally just don't like 2wd trucks and I just don't know crap about autos to begin to mess with getting one.

I 2nd going with an auto. If you race it much you will quickly see why...ask me how I know lol

Sounds like a cool project tho!

Below your desired power level I had a cryo'd 5th gear and the block holding it in place with the transfer case and I sheared it a few times. One lasted 20 miles the second about 1/4 mile. You might consider a 6 speed, I went the Firepunk auto route.

I like the square body, sounds like a fun project?

You looking for a 4500 and clutch?

Below your desired power level I had a cryo'd 5th gear and the block holding it in place with the transfer case and I sheared it a few times. One lasted 20 miles the second about 1/4 mile. You might consider a 6 speed, I went the Firepunk auto route.

I've had issues with 5th gear also but it always seemed to go out while lugging it or keeping it too low in the rpms, driving habits seem to keep it from going out for me. It will probably never see a track, only street. Every nv4500 I've pulled apart seem to have hairline cracks around the bearing races...multiple cracks. I would start with a new case if I were to use one anyway.

I don't know crap about autos, I wonder if the trans it came with could be beefed up? it had a 318 v8, ill have to look into that I suppose. if for some magical reason I ran an auto it would have a manual valve body.

In a vehicle like you are building, you're probably looking at a second or more difference in 1/4 mile time between an auto and manual with the auto being much quicker but it's your build so build it like you want. If you ever decide to go to an auto, take it to the track and baseline the manual then take it back with the auto and see the difference. There's no comparison. Awesome build!

Anybody know what transmission this is? Got the frame out today.

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 0
Leaf spring in the front with coil overs?

Why would you put a straight axle in the front if you want to make this thing handle around corners?

NASCAR bars? Why?

Chromoly cage? Why?

Just curious....

Last edited:
scrap the manual idea, that's retarded. And why do you need nitrous for 800hp?

Leaf spring in the front with coil overs?

Why would you put a straight axle in the front if you want to make this thing handle around corners?

NASCAR bars? Why?

Chromoly cage? Why?

Just curious....

It is going to be a 4x4 and I already have the dana 60, maybe I didn't understand that question?

Nascar bars it just something I thought looked cool, figured why not.

I have a lot of chromoly tubing at the house from a previous project, why buy more if you already got it. You suggesting mild steel?

Maybe some have over read that it will NEVER see a track or dragstrip. it is a truck what will only be on the street. it is not meant to be competitive, that is not the purpose of the build.

I have been doing some looking around and have decided to go with a 47RH with a manual vb. now I just got to find a good core 47RH to tear into.

If the truck is only going to be used on the street what is the point of building a cage for it? Just for aesthetics?

if you are going full manual valvebody, 47re are easier to find and work the same.

It is going to be a 4x4 and I already have the dana 60, maybe I didn't understand that question?

Nascar bars it just something I thought looked cool, figured why not.

I have a lot of chromoly tubing at the house from a previous project, why buy more if you already got it. You suggesting mild steel?

Maybe some have over read that it will NEVER see a track or dragstrip. it is a truck what will only be on the street. it is not meant to be competitive, that is not the purpose of the build.

I have been doing some looking around and have decided to go with a 47RH with a manual vb. now I just got to find a good core 47RH to tear into.

Just curious, the NASCAR bars are totally unnecessary but don't hurt having them, and if you have the Chromoly laying around but mild steel would be better for what you are doing. If you want it to handle somewhat decent, I would suggest losing the solid front axle though, and at a minimum the leaf springs.

Just curious, the NASCAR bars are totally unnecessary but don't hurt having them, and if you have the Chromoly laying around but mild steel would be better for what you are doing. If you want it to handle somewhat decent, I would suggest losing the solid front axle though, and at a minimum the leaf springs.

Are you suggesting putting a IFS up front that retains the 4x4? I haven't looked into that but I would imagine that would be fairly complicated and expensive lol.

I would ditch the leafs but I can't seem to find any coilover that can Handel that kind of weight up front. I do have 2 qa1 coilover for the rear though.

Back