feedback on my project please.

If the truck is only going to be used on the street what is the point of building a cage for it? Just for aesthetics?

If I get a little crazy with it it could save me and my passenger. It is also for looks just as paint is and not having rust everywhere. It is also to test my skills out on, I never did something like this and now I more or less got a reason to try it.

Just some food for thought here. A cage is normally used in conjunction with other safety equipment and gear, such as a helmet. If you take a bar off the head in a crash without one; even a minor crash it could be very bad news. Also in a accident scenario if you were to need extraction from the vehicle the bars could potentially cause problems for the first responders. Not something you want in a time crucial situation.

That being said there are plenty of cars and trucks on the street with cages.

Leaf spring in the front with coil overs?

Why would you put a straight axle in the front if you want to make this thing handle around corners?

NASCAR bars? Why?

Chromoly cage? Why?

Just curious....

It is going to be a 4x4 and I already have the dana 60, maybe I didn't understand that question?

Nascar bars it just something I thought looked cool, figured why not.

I have a lot of chromoly tubing at the house from a previous project, why buy more if you already got it. You suggesting mild steel?

Maybe some have over read that it will NEVER see a track or dragstrip. it is a truck what will only be on the street. it is not meant to be competitive, that is not the purpose of the build.

I have been doing some looking around and have decided to go with a 47RH with a manual vb. now I just got to find a good core 47RH to tear into.

Just curious, the NASCAR bars are totally unnecessary but don't hurt having them, and if you have the Chromoly laying around but mild steel would be better for what you are doing. If you want it to handle somewhat decent, I would suggest losing the solid front axle though, and at a minimum the leaf springs.

Are you suggesting putting a IFS up front that retains the 4x4? I haven't looked into that but I would imagine that would be fairly complicated and expensive lol.

I would ditch the leafs but I can't seem to find any coilover that can Handel that kind of weight up front. I do have 2 qa1 coilover for the rear though.

I am not a metalurgist or chassis builder, but don't they recommend full heat treat for the ChroMo after the cage/chassis is built? Isn't that one of the many reasons that NASCAR chassis use DOM mild steel rather than ChroMo?

I prefer to use mild steel because it's easier and quicker to weld. I'm just bouncing ideas around right now.

Just some food for thought here. A cage is normally used in conjunction with other safety equipment and gear, such as a helmet. If you take a bar off the head in a crash without one; even a minor crash it could be very bad news. Also in a accident scenario if you were to need extraction from the vehicle the bars could potentially cause problems for the first responders. Not something you want in a time crucial situation.

That being said there are plenty of cars and trucks on the street with cages.

Like I said, not practical lol. I would at least have some foam wrap inside the cab

If I get a little crazy with it it could save me and my passenger. It is also for looks just as paint is and not having rust everywhere. It is also to test my skills out on, I never did something like this and now I more or less got a reason to try it.

I don't want to ride with you!

Point taken, some people don't want to be in a caged vehicle without a helmet, never crossed my mind I suppose.

If you are good at those 4-links, just do the front the same and throw the leaves away.

Now you can hack up the frame from there forward to mimick the upside down Falcon. lol ... and lose a bunch of weight.

Have you selected your artillery yet??

I vote chain fed .50cal.

If you are good at those 4-links, just do the front the same and throw the leaves away.

Now you can hack up the frame from there forward to mimick the upside down Falcon. lol ... and lose a bunch of weight.

Have you selected your artillery yet??

I vote chain fed .50cal.

I never done a 4 link in my life, I feel like I rubbed you and a few other people the wrong way judging by your sarcasm and that was not my intention. I came here for insight and constructive criticism which is always welcome, thanks.:Cheer:

I don't understand the theory behind this build. You said in your original post that it is going to be something that is possibly not street legal but then you turn around and say it will never see a track. Did I miss something in between?

I don't understand the theory behind this build. You said in your original post that it is going to be something that is possibly not street legal but then you turn around and say it will never see a track. Did I miss something in between?

nope you are correct.

I would ditch the leafs but I can't seem to find any coilover that can Handel that kind of weight up front. I do have 2 qa1 coilover for the rear though.

What do you mean you cant find a coilover that will handle the weight up front?...

I remember when I had the same idea.... should have spent my money on Hookers and blow... would have been a better investment. LMAO!

:pop:

I never done a 4 link in my life, I feel like I rubbed you and a few other people the wrong way judging by your sarcasm and that was not my intention. I came here for insight and constructive criticism which is always welcome, thanks.:Cheer:

Maybe those other fellas replies were sarcasm and I apologize if you took it that way. I just read you were doing something different and I gave you feedback.

All good. You get some of those folks on here for sure. I have grown used to them. lol

lol Good luck deciphering that!....

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, local laws and what they tolerate vary by region. One county may not care about lexan windows, roll cages and exposed tires while others do. But it is titled as of now and turn signals, lights etc will work.

Back