Firepunk UCC Pro Street Build

Great thread! Thanks for sharing so many cool details
Best of luck with the upcoming season

We were 4540lbs without me in it, a 9" rear would get our goal of 4500lbs race weight

Nice to see some good work. Glad you guys aren't the ones on discovery. Hate to see them make a good shop look like tools. Much better it be tools to begin with.

Lavon is fire punk your shop or what's your attachment? I see you mention your brothers as well which is great you get to work with them. Don't feel obligated to answer just curious.

I own Firepunk, but Firepunk is not a Lavon Miller show. Its the combination of our complete team that works here, as we all love Diesels and most race their personal daily drivers at every event. I have 3 brothers working in the shop and my sister Rolanda is at the front desk. Its nice to all work together, and the rest of the crew in the shop all play an important roll in keeping the quality level and customer service where it needs to be. We have grown much faster then ever anticipated and I am very blessed to have the crew here that I do!

20160405_220426_zpsaepinqag.jpg

Hard to see in this picture, but we mounted the radiator behind the cab, and ran -20 Stainless Braided lines to the radiator, mounted two B&M Plate and Fin coolers under the radiator and have two 14" fans drawing air through both radiator and trans coolers. We had no water temp issues at the track.
20160405_233022_zpsxe1bbazu.jpg

We overnighted so many parts the last two weeks, I'm embarrassed to say how much extra it cost us. You have no idea how many little items you miss when you make a build list before you start on a project.
20160331_102533_zpsu8ct9zwk.jpg

Our Chassis Dyno numbers were about 8% lower then our Engine dyno numbers.
20160405_141308-1_zpsclhqm8lb.jpg

Last edited:
AGI graphics did the partial vinyl wrap for us.
20160406_165310_zpswq1mvfjo.jpg

Loading a fresh build on the trailer is a little nerve racking knowing your going to 'test' all our hard work in front of a crowd.
20160407_000839_zpslstozskn.jpg

3am Thursday before Rudy's finally loaded and ready to hit the road. I was going to tow the trailer with my quad cab, but we had basically no sleep the last two weeks before Rudy's and Hostetler's offered to tow the trailer with there Pete so I opted to sleep instead of drive, well I tried, we ended up throwing 4 trailer tires and Larson's truck lost a fuel pump which put it into a harsh fuel surge and broke the input in the middle of a hard uphill pull, so the quad cab ended up towing him the rest of the way. We had 5 hours worth of sitting beside the road between all our travel problems.
20160407_023210_zpsrnr9kdmn.jpg

All our trip problems were quickly forgotten when we went 5.9@126 on the first hit out of the trailer on a 1160HP tune, and then went to a 1400HP tune and ran a best of a 5.60@133. We still have plenty of power to tune into the truck, but we first want to work on the 60' before just turning up the wick.
Rudys%20Debut_zpsc6o37wbl.jpg

I've uploaded about 88 pictures out of about 500 that I took, so if you have specific questions about portions of the build I didn't cover, just ask and I'd be glad dig up more pictures. I'll post pictures of our bolt in hitch setup after Ultimate Callout Challenge, not that we're super secretive, but we want to compete against our competitions ingenuity vs carbon copies of the work we've done. It's not like me to keep a build like this under wraps this long, but I figured it would be fun to see how long we could keep it off the internet and would keep shops that have much more money then us from writing a check to build a copy. We feel like we have covered all three portions of the Ultimate Callout Challenge well with a good chance of placing top 5 in each event, although when looking at some of the other builds, it feels like we have a much smaller Horsepower platform then some of the other competitors. In the end we sat down and made goals for what we felt would be a solid contender in the event and we have reached our goals so far, so if we don't do well, we just under built :).

We want this build to help push the industry forward, and showcase what we at Firepunk are capable of building going beyond just transmissions. We look forward to seeing the innovation our competitors bring to the event and hope to see some of you CompD crowd there too.

Lavon

I've uploaded about 88 pictures out of about 500 that I took, so if you have specific questions about portions of the build I didn't cover, just ask and I'd be glad dig up more pictures. I'll post pictures of our bolt in hitch setup after Ultimate Callout Challenge, not that we're super secretive, but we want to compete against our competitions ingenuity vs carbon copies of the work we've done. It's not like me to keep a build like this under wraps this long, but I figured it would be fun to see how long we could keep it off the internet and would keep shops that have much more money then us from writing a check to build a copy. We feel like we have covered all three portions of the Ultimate Callout Challenge well with a good chance of placing top 5 in each event, although when looking at some of the other builds, it feels like we have a much smaller Horsepower platform then some of the other competitors. In the end we sat down and made goals for what we felt would be a solid contender in the event and we have reached our goals so far, so if we don't do well, we just under built :).

We want this build to help push the industry forward, and showcase what we at Firepunk are capable of building going beyond just transmissions. We look forward to seeing the innovation our competitors bring to the event and hope to see some of you CompD crowd there too.

Lavon

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lavon

Awesome work from the Whole FirePunk Crew!!

Lavon

:clap:

Now please please dont let anyone plow it into a row of parked cars....

Very appreciative that you and your crew feel that way, Lavon. We need more people like you representing the good in the diesel industry to the public. Keep up the good work.

PS: Looks like your driver had to unload his truck at your shop to get to all your packages. :hehe: I see post office bags.

Last edited:
Did you end up using the power wagon locker in the front?

Evan Davis didn't know how much he'd trust it and he had a new E locker there like he uses in his 2.6 trucks, so we decided to play it safe and stick with what has worked on other diesel pullers for now, Its laying on the shop floor, I'll find good use for it at some point.

Lavon

What made you decide to use ladder bars instead of a 4-link?

Damn I'm jealous. The firepunk crew is top notch in all aspects. Some of the best guys around for sure. Congrats guys and whoop some azz.

P.S. I could use one of them golden nuggets you got there lol.

Are you planning on hanging 4k+ lbs for the pull to hit the 8500lb limit, or run light?

Back