First test drive

YOUNG GUNS15

Im AWESOME!!!!
WELL..... at about 2:30am i got to drive my truck for the first time in 7 months. And well it was mostly negative :doh:

First off it took forever to get it to build any line pressure. The once it had great line pressure (100 psi off idle) i took it out for a mile and a half test drive it seemed to shift ok for the first mile and line pressure was alright, Then the next mile it started hunting for OD and would shift and then it seemed like it lost the gear untill i got back in it. Then on the way back i got the Whine coming from the trans. I limped it the rest of the way back and discovered almost no line pressure. (gauge is not lighted) Now when i put it in reverse its WHINES the shiz out of itself. Before it kinda struggled in reverse getting it out of the shop. and now it doesent wanna go anywhere in reverse.

Fluid smells burnt :( I had the cooler hooked up and running, so im assuming i burn some clutches or smoked the band. IDK, right now im just exaughsted. I loved it the first few minutes i drove it, then it freaked out.

Anyways if anyone can help me diagnose this thing ican explain it beter on the phone.

call me anytime
435-459-9133

-Spence

Did you make sure the converter had filled with fluid and then filled the pan up? My double deep pan takes 12qts on its own. I forget how many go in the converter.

Sounds like it is low on fluid and/or can't suck it up out of the pan to me.

Check your fluid level if it's ok change the fluid and filter! Most likely a plugged filter.

The reverse whine/buzz is air and such in the system, reverse has high pressure and it seems to be the most noticeable.
WHen you fill the trans you should start the truck run it through all of the gears a few times, letting it idle etc to help pump the fluid through the system. Then recheck the fluid a few times.

Bad idea to rush things! You get tired or just forget something and it ends up taking longer.

I let it run in neutral for a good 10-15min checking and adding fluid. Then cycle through the gears a few times and check/add fluid again.

Your gonna need to pull the pan and take a look

I had it on jack stands and i used half the damn 5 gallon bucket, rechecked it a bunch of times before i let it down to take it out. If that whine is just air then i feel a lot better! Fluid smells burned should i drop the pan and start over or try to add more and get it shifting? When it did have good line pressure when i flipped the lockup it would drop to like 40psi and flutter up and down. Same with OD

I didnt fill the converter though, i checked the level before i came back to town and for what i could tell at 3 am (which probably was another bad factor) it was fine.

Thanks for the fast replies guys, i kinda feel retarded cause i screwed it up on the first test drive. :/

I have a stock pan for now.

On edit: The Speedo quit working even with the speed sensor hooked up....? What did i miss on that one?

OHH!!! and whoever said i needed a crossmember, driveshafts and mounts was retarded. My front shaft is now to long, and the rear is way short but still works but with a lot of vibes..... SO i wasted a nice chunk getting my shafts resized......SO FML

Last edited:
I had it on jack stands and i used half the damn 5 gallon bucket, rechecked it a bunch of times before i let it down to take it out. If that whine is just air then i feel a lot better! Fluid smells burned should i drop the pan and start over or try to add more and get it shifting? When it did have good line pressure when i flipped the lockup it would drop to like 40psi and flutter up and down. Same with OD

I didnt fill the converter though, i checked the level before i came back to town and for what i could tell at 3 am (which probably was another bad factor) it was fine.

Thanks for the fast replies guys, i kinda feel retarded cause i screwed it up on the first test drive. :/

Dropping that low on the OD apply doesn't sound good, IE it is dumping your line pressure. What was your clearance on the OD apply?

I dont remember.

Bad news guys, Trans is utterly fried, and i mean fried.. I screwed it up big time. Not sure what I did but i will know after school.

Like black oil and clumps of ground up metal fired. Geez... LOL just gotta laugh it off I guess.

I have 2 highschool classes in the middle of the day, i was up pulling stuff apart this morning. Pulled the pan and well.....lets say its just a big mess. LOL

I have a stock pan for now.

On edit: The Speedo quit working even with the speed sensor hooked up....? What did i miss on that one?

OHH!!! and whoever said i needed a crossmember, driveshafts and mounts was retarded. My front shaft is now to long, and the rear is way short but still works but with a lot of vibes..... SO i wasted a nice chunk getting my shafts resized......SO FML

Speed sensor in a 4wd trans isn't used for the speedometer.

What year trans?

This is exactly why I didnt attempt mine LOL I would be in the same boat.

On the other hand its good to see ya laughin about it...getting mad doesnt help anything. If your like me, getting mad just tears more sh!t up LOL

Back