First trip to the track

Not sure on any goals at this point. I have a 66 charger street strip car that I normally race and just figured I would get something going with the old orange truck. It has been sitting in the field for 5 years since I stripped it down and built the car. The car now has a 500 inch big block and runs 10.50's 10.60's, leaf spring drag radial car. I'm going for budget power for now on the truck. I know I cant add a bunch of power with out doing the tranny. The auto shift really sucks. It needs for sure a converter, manual valve body and a good rebuild to start. I just left it in drive and shift on the limiter last weekend.

Have you read the "junker drag truck" thread on here yet? Lots of good budget ideas in there if you've got the time. Your E.T. and mph are comparable, so I'd actually say your trans isn't doing as bad of a job as you think.

I know of a VE truck that went 11's with nitrous on a basically stock 727, so there's hope that you don't have to spend 4-5K on a trans just yet.

How did you get it to be so light? I'm kinda feeling impressed your running those times with stock injectors/turbo/tranny. Makes me want to build a shorty real bad!

The truck has no options, it was originally a 3.9 v6 with no ac and roll up windows. And a half ton.

Couple more videos
watch

Cool truck. Jason Burton in Spokane, WA has a real similar truck, half ton shortbox cummins swapped with a VP motor

The old 9.25 rear diff had 4.10 and I welded the side gear to the carrier and took the top and bottom gears out. The truck ran 11.50's with 1.5 60' for years with no problems.

Cool truck. Jason Burton in Spokane, WA has a real similar truck, half ton shortbox cummins swapped with a VP motor

That's funny. I actually saw that truck today.
The Op's truck is super cool.

Awesome truck! Can you give me a rundown on your suspension setup? I have a half ton with a 12v and was looking into some options on how I was going to set up the suspension to get it a little lower. Like everyone else is saying, you want more fuel pressure and lower shift points. Back when my extended cab drag truck still had the vp44 it was tough finding the perfect rpm to shift at with the manual valve body. But like McForesten said, about 2800rpm is where you want to be. Good luck, and welcome to compd.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The suspension is stock other them 2" dropped shackles in the back. The rear only has about 2" of down travel before it hits the bump stops. I need to cut the stops down, they are like 3" tall . I figured I would cut them down to about 1"

Looks damn good for just being 2" in the rear.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

They are 2" or 3" . I put them in like 10 years ago or longer. Stock front 3.9 v6 springs

Back