fuel cell installed

Looks fricken sweet JP...so glad your back in the diesel realm, and I cant wait to get this a sweet little thing tunes in for the driving and racing.

Did you build the tank or was it off the shelf modified

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice install, did u build it? If so do u get it pressure tested somewhere, do techs require this on a safety level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk el jefa

Nhrda rules require that the tank be sfi approved. I had the tank built.

Looks fricken sweet JP...so glad your back in the diesel realm, and I cant wait to get this a sweet little thing tunes in for the driving and racing.

Thanks Les. If it wasn't for the help of good friends like you, Browns, frankie, Dow brothers, and a few others, I wouldn't be doing it.

Did you build the tank or was it off the shelf modified

Tank was built due of sfi certification requirements. Rci 2161 will work with some modification, as will the jaz equivalent. However, as soon as you modify them with brackets, bungs, etc, it is my understanding that the cert is void. Jaz and rci do not come with a sump, which i wanted. Also, i wanted to feed the pump with -10, vs -8 on the rci and jaz. The filler neck on the jaz amd rci sit flush. This tank has a riser to sit flush with the bed.

Who built it? I wouldn't mind the exact one

Who built it? I wouldn't mind the exact one

This was built as a prototype. We are going to do some testing and possibly some revisions before building the final version. At that point, i'll update the thread with contact information for the builder.

Who does the cert on them after it's modifyed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk el jefa

nice build jp, I've been contemplating something similar. I like how u use the stock gut, keeps the install a little easier I would think.
Can you take the whole top off of the cell as in a 2 piece and did you use any foam or baffles?

nice build jp, I've been contemplating something similar. I like how u use the stock gut, keeps the install a little easier I would think.
Can you take the whole top off of the cell as in a 2 piece and did you use any foam or baffles?

One baffle in the center, although I don't think it was necessary -- no foam. The top is welded on just like any other tank. The canister is held in by a machined ring, and clamped down with aluminum studs (welded on the inside) and aluminum nuts on the outside.

DSC_0128_zps37500e9b.jpg

DSC_0101_zpsccc5c2ae.jpg

Thanks Joel. I'm happy with it. I get some funny looks at the gas station when I fill up.

There would have to be a huge market for these

There would have to be a huge market for these

There might be a small market for them. However, not everyone wants to hassle with pulling the bed, extending wires, grinding out the spare tire carrier, and re-plumbing the fuel system. Having said that, I wish there was one available when I had this one made -- would have saved me a lot of time, and maybe some money too. I use my bed everyday, so mounting it back there wasn't an option.

The gauge works good. I don't feel any sloshing, and the fuel isn't being aerated on the return. The builder should have some available pretty soon.

I'm sure they wont be cheap, but this is exactly what I've wanted if I ever was to do a fuel cell.

Now we just need to make sure they fit a second gen lol. I would do all that work in a heart beat

Now we just need to make sure they fit a second gen lol. I would do all that work in a heart beat

take a measurement between the lips of the spare tire carrier cross members. Should be around 9.5"

Back