General waste of my time

On another note. I guess I had higher expectations for this cpl676. It had obviously been rebuilt so I was hoping to just run it. Pulled it from the truck and decided to pull the heads to do some porting work. Well from what I can tell there are 3 different pistons and liner protrusion are all in the .003 to .004 range. Deck surface doesn't look that great and #1 has some scoring.

xQG4h8m.jpg

Undecided what to do now. Really wanted to just cheaply throw this thing together as a toy but looks like a complete rebuild is in my future.

Any aftermarket companies worth looking at? I have been looking at powerline components or fp diesel. Any one better than the other?

Doing some shopping on overhaul kits. Whats the performance difference between the DualNi and TriTech? Looks like the 14:1 DualNi kit is #3803233 From what I can gather this is the best of the 4 ring setup. Any advantage with going to the newer TriTech setup?

I should really be asking whats the best kit to get for my intended flogging of this engine? I did find some 13.5:1 kits for that matter I also found some 12:1 but I would still like this thing to start.

Haven't been able to find any steel pistons unless i'm missing something.

Careful when changing pistons. Some of those CPLs you had listed have a higher lift cam. I'm confused as to the one your actually hotrodding. Is it the 838?

14-14.5 :1 would be my target compression with RPMs under 3500. We'd just need to figure out what cam you're running to go further.

Cody told me that the cpl833 has high lift cam with a higher lift on the injector because of the stc. The plan is to use that cam. Don't think it really matters but the engine I am building started life as a cpl676

Tried a little experiment on friday night in hopes of getting some more fuel for the pulls on saturday. Removed the factory stc injectors from 833 and modified the injectors that came out of the 676 engine. Installed the modified injectors into the 833. I should of know better than to try and reuse the old injector o-rings. Truck started right up but hardly any control of the throttle and varying idle speed. Seems to only want to run on the back 3 cylinders. Wont hardly build any fuel pressure. Needless to say I ran out of time to get it running correctly before the pulls so I had to miss out on that one.

This cpl 833 is missing the tag and I called cummins to try and get the timing code - they were lost- told me to check quickserve. I don't currently have the timing tool here to check it myself and was just wondering if anybody knows just how slow the timing is now that the stc is no longer functioning?

Also any opinions on the older 4 ring DualNi vs the newer TriTech?

3 ring pistons suck.

Thank you- With the lack of finding a steel piston, guess that leaves me to settle on a compression ratio. I noticed somewhere you had one built at 13.5:1 Advantages disadvantages?

Unless I get pointed in a different direction looks like I will be getting a kit with the #3803233 cylinder kit. At least from what I am finding that should be the one for the high lift cam and 14:1 premium DualNi

The 13.5 was an old piston, with the newer engines you need to keep with the same piston to match the cam, both that 833 and 676 have high exhaust lift cams so pistons must match because they have deeper valve reliefs.

The timing on that 833 should be around .090”.

Just thinking out loud. With more travel on the injector but ending point not changing with running these non stc injectors timing should be advanced. But is it advanced to the point of more than fixed time .070? I guess I just need to get it running right and see how it does.

Length of injection cycle is longer so timing can’t be compared to normal engines.

Just leave timing as is for now.

PM me your address, I’m gonna ship those injectors tomorrow.

Length of injection cycle is longer so timing can’t be compared to normal engines.

Just leave timing as is for now.

I had planned on it. I worded my post in a confusing way.

You just stated exactly what I was trying to say. Trying to wrap my head around all of this because I enjoy the learning. Small cam timing seems advanced vs big cam when in reality it is because of the length of injection. Same thing we have going on now with an even longer duration. What I was wondering is now with the longer duration and .090 timing is the start of injection similar to what a normal big cam with fixed .070 timing?

How is PAI industries vs powerline components? I already have a genuine cummins upper gasket set here but want to save it for my 676 build. Looking for something cheap to get me by the rest of the year. would like to order a bunch of stuff from the same place.

I have the part number for the 1 1/4 gear pump but I am having a hard time finding a spot to order one. Reliable has 4 options listed but all say n/a

The parts I have bought from powerline way back were FP diesel.

That’s what I am using now, I order online from reliable industries.

The parts I have bought from powerline way back were FP diesel.

That’s what I am using now, I order online from reliable industries.

your using FP or PAI from Reliable? I might have to call them because online they have the 1 1/4 pump listed with a price but says n/a

They drop ship from all the places they sell parts for, FP parts come out of Chicago, McBee come from Cleveland, and PAI from Georgia.

I just ordered a bunch of HP gaskets, got them yesterday.

Next on list is head bolts. Factory bolts hold pretty good or is there a need to find a stud kit? Man looking for cummins parts is so much fun - not.

Next on list is head bolts. Factory bolts hold pretty good or is there a need to find a stud kit? Man looking for cummins parts is so much fun - not.

Stop in Cummins and ask for BC parts and watch for the blank stare.

Actually anymore ask for any part and you’ll get the same look. Friend went to Bridgeway to get lower counterbore shims for an ISX. Parts monkey insisted since he cut the block it was ruined.

Stop in Cummins and ask for BC parts and watch for the blank stare.

Called our local Cummins in DePere last week to try and get timing code because tag is missing on engine. Spent half hour on phone being transferred up the food chain. First person told me tag is located on top of motor instead of front cover - its not. Next person told me that information is on quickserve - its not. Last person said I needed to call my local cummins distributor (number I had originally called) Then proceeded to tell me if i just bought a service manual they are pretty sure that information is in there.

SmokinCat had the information for me almost in an instant

Back