girdle and main studs?

luke h

Whats everybody running for main studs and girdles? Im building my motor finally and dont have the money to run 14mm mains and the thick girdle. But i know Cummins sells a block stiffener but i cant figure out what size studs i need to run. Any info is appreciated
Luke

girdle

Doug,
Thanks for the info and the 625s I recently purchased! Do you feel the 12mm Main studs are sufficient? Or should one run the 14mm studs?
Thanks again
Luke

WHat is your HP goal? How about RPM? The best setup is the thick girdle and 14mm studs but for most the 12mm versions will work fine.

Girdle

Say 4500 and 650 HP. I was also wondering if torque specs would be sent out with the Head studs I Purchased.

Early 12v blocks (non STORM blocks) had 14mm mains. You can tell which one you have by the number of turbo oil drains on the passenger side. STORM and newer have 2. Early 12v blocks have one oil drain.

Unless of you are Gus Farmer, he has "several" STORM blocks with the 14mm mains. LMAO. He saw them and measured them himself.LOL

I am pretty sure Adam "redstroke" runs the Cummins stiffener in his 1100hp 12v. I will be at the shop tomorrow and ask him if he knows the number or just PM him. His is an early single drain 12v not sure what studs he runs. But i'll ask that too.

luke h said:
Whats everybody running for main studs and girdles? Im building my motor finally and dont have the money to run 14mm mains and the thick girdle. But i know Cummins sells a block stiffener but i cant figure out what size studs i need to run. Any info is appreciated
Luke

Luke I seem to follow you in these projects. I lathed points on the top of the stock main bearing bolts. They are going to be used for ***** back marking where the holes are going to be put in the Cummins gurdle. Plans are to use two of them that are bolted together as well with a tight tolerance holes. I may have to farm out doing the block as free time is hard to come by these days.

Running two of them to compensate for the fact they are not very stout, we should talk it sounds like we may have something each other needs.

well, one day I may see the affect of it because I'm not quite sure it was done but, when Scheid built my engine, they removed the gridle. I wanted to go with something more stout but, they told me the main studs wouldn't fit with it in there. I used A1 14mm.

They obviously know a lot about how much hp one of these blocks can take and told me unless I'd be sled pulling, there's no real need for it.

Don't ask me... I just went with what the alleged " diesel mastermind " according to Diesel Power mag said. Maybe you guys could shed some more light on this ?

Last edited:
carfichris said:
Running two of them to compensate for the fact they are not very stout, we should talk it sounds like we may have something each other needs.

To be honest the whole deal is probably overkill, there is just enough room underneath to for the oil pan to clear with two of them. And I just happened to to pick up an extra one from a bad motor. There is nothing on my 01 that is being short cutted or not being messaged for that matter.

triton said:
Don't ask me... I just went with what the alleged " diesel mastermind " according to Diesel Power mag said.

:hehe: LOL :hehe: LOL :hehe:

The "mastermind" also claims boost psi over 60 on a CR requires 14mm head studs.

Back