GTI build has started

lol intake is fabbed now, I'll get a pic of it tonight maybe. Got a new oil drain made, as the old one rubbed on the axle pretty hard.

Got the stock gas fuel pump wired up as a lift pump and regulated at 12psi. IC tubing and intake are all done, exhaust is done out the passenger fender. Just need to find a map sensor and weldable bung to finish up the car.

When it's done, I'll be using only abs, speedo, water temp, maf, and map sensors. Is there anything else worth hooking up?

Map sensor is hooked up now.

How the turbo oil lines run now, with the drain pump.

cc1e19f18cf4a27d4e352b2bb50c44dd.jpg

Best view I could get of where I mounted it. In the exhaust/drive shaft tunnel, right in front if the shifter.

15bf04dc6158a8cccaa42e273c25d40a.jpg

Be nice to him. He takes cool pictures.

This is actually a secret, so don't tell anyone, but he just grabs pictures off google and puts his name on them.

But seriously, his pictures are beyond professional. I think he took that original one of the gti that alex posted at the beginning of the thread.

This is actually a secret, so don't tell anyone, but he just grabs pictures off google and puts his name on them.

But seriously, his pictures are beyond professional. I think he took that original one of the gti that alex posted at the beginning of the thread.

I did. I took it outta Dex's car going like 100plus haha

I picked up a gt3568r, which to normal people I think it's a 61/62, with a .63a/r, and 3" opening, with downpipe flange and oil fitting, for an awesome price. Hopefully it'll spool yesterday compared to the hx35.

I don't want to tear up the firewall to run compounds just yet lol. I'm also trying to save some weight. otherwise the firewall would be gone and replaced with tubing. the rest of the car is gutted though. I might sell this Holset once I get the new turbo on, I can't think of anything else to put it on right now

Last edited:
Got it tagged and put 50 miles on it today. Found a small leak in the fuel return, and the vacuum pump started leaking, but it's got 300k miles on it so I won't complain. Very underpowered with stock injectors and tune, but still does high speeds just fine, and you can even hear the hx try to spool over 3k rpm. And it even hazes a little at full throttle lol. Most of the water boiled out too because of a bad clamp, but in true vw fashion it sat right at 190* and didn't even flinch.

Still can't get the ecu to read the comfort control module, not sure if it's because tdi ecu doesn't like the gasser ccm, or if its a wiring problem. Only the dome lights work in the cabin, nothing else.

Also, a weird problem: The fuel gauge drops 1/8 tank whenever I get into the throttle, and it's not from acceleration lol. I'm wondering if it's because it's a gasoline tank and sending unit. Other than that it works fine.

Last edited:
This is going to sound weird but its a "normal" vw thing. Do you have the speed input on the transmission hooked up.

When I did my clutch on my TDI I broke the speed input taking the transmission out. It being my only car at the time I had to drive it to VW to get the part. Driving there the gas gauge was all over the place, replaced the speed sensor in there parking lot and the gas gauge worked just fine after words.

Have no clue how or why a speed sensor is hooked to the gas gauge but leave it to VW.

This is going to sound weird but its a "normal" vw thing. Do you have the speed input on the transmission hooked up.

When I did my clutch on my TDI I broke the speed input taking the transmission out. It being my only car at the time I had to drive it to VW to get the part. Driving there the gas gauge was all over the place, replaced the speed sensor in there parking lot and the gas gauge worked just fine after words.

Have no clue how or why a speed sensor is hooked to the gas gauge but leave it to VW.

Lmao this does not surprise me. And no it's not hooked up. For some reason this harness plug doesn't "click" on the sensor, so I need to splice a new one in.

Any idea on the ccm?

Last edited:
Back