Hamilton 188/220

Levi_plummer

Hey do any of you 12v guys run the hamilton drop in 188/220 cam? I am looking to upgrade and wanting to know what to expect in a hp gain with a pretty good size charger.

I don't really have a good enough reason to tear down my engine just to cut pistons. I think it would run better with a different cam. I know it's not an 8000 rpm small block but looking for something different than stock.

When I installed one of these, I found that my intake valves were on the low side of protrusion specs. Sunk them to the high side of specs and got the clearance I wanted.

The 178-208 From Hamilton is a drop in cam. The 188-220 is questionable, depends on if you have had your head off and had it decked.

I put a 188-220 in my 98 12v. And i had to fly cut pistons.

I don't really have a good enough reason to tear down my engine just to cut pistons. I think it would run better with a different cam. I know it's not an 8000 rpm small block but looking for something different than stock.

More than one way to get valve clearance. ....

Valve depth in the head. It will lower spring pressure but shouldn't be enough to really change the spring pressure to much.

Levi 188/220 is going to VERY close without fly cuts.....

Search buddy there are SEVERAL very long informational threads on this specific cam

Wonder if you lose more from fly cuts or thicker gasket. Hmm

Big difference. .020 flycuts at 1.850 & 1.750. Since you are not removing aluminum from a full circle, and depending on bowl diameter, let's guess 80%, is +1.3-1.4 cc. I'm gonna say head gasket diameter is 4.250 without measuring one, .020 over is +4.65 cc.

I know its not the same cam, but with my colt stage 4 (181/218 107.5 lsa 0.280/0.323) it was close.

I had a valve job so that sunk them a little bit (cant remember what they measured) but no decking or the head or block and it sat at 0.047/0.063 of clearance.

I haven't fired her up yet, so no comments on hp drivability, etc. I also have changed so much I wouldn't know what difference just the cam made anyhow.

I almost went with one over the winter, but after checking clearances, it wasn't going to fit without flycutting. My head has been cut .010. But after the valve job, the vavle depth was still within Cummins specs.

Back