no more than .018" piston protrusion
99 degree intake centerline
.010"/.020" lash

12v:

.055" valve depth
.018" piston protrusion
.010"/.020" lash

If your engine is a little in or out of spec, then a thicker head gasket or cut pistons are needed, or you could chang the intake centerline to 100 degrees to gain some clearance

As much as I appreciate your comment I have read everything I could find about a 188/220 going in a 12v on hear and cummins forum. You can take your crap elsewhere.

Levi something I've learned on the forum buddy.... you can't always search forum specific I.E. 94-98 Dodge Drivetrain....

There's also the Extreme Engine Performance forum.... then they also can run the same came in VP motors as Ppump motors....

I know it sucks but just search ALL the forums and weed through it all if there is a chance it could be in different forums.

I am putting a head together with Hamilton springs and retainers. I plan to o-ring the head along with a port and polish. The head will get a valve job and I will makeup the gap I need with an oversize gasket. I have read Harmon's post and another post where a guy stated he would dyno it as soon as he got the cam in to compare to his 181 cam but never posted results. I have read up and done research but haven't found one person with real world results with no other mods. A lot of people are hear say on it but no first hand Experience. An acquaintance of mine that owns a diesel shop installed one in his brothers truck and has a truck in the shop getting that cam now. But neither truck has been drove enough to break in there setup to dyno.

I have been looking and before they cleared off hamilton's forum in hear I read a couple post but now it just has five topics. I've been looking for about a month now on my free time and haven't found much.

I have been looking and before they cleared off hamilton's forum in hear I read a couple post but now it just has five topics. I've been looking for about a month now on my free time and haven't found much.

I understand buddy....just trying to help you out.

Yeah. I called Hamilton. They told me it would be great to spool my big charger and make more power that there 181 cam. But not any numbers.

[ame="http://s240.photobucket.com/user/zacheryhamilton/media/TIMEvsCam_zps23a3d098.png.html"]TIMEvsCam_zps23a3d098.png Photo by zacheryhamilton | Photobucket[/ame]
This was a truck that had 8 or so cams run through it in less than 24 hours. We used this truck because it was overfueled so that anywhere there was a gain in airflow, it would show up in spoolup and power.

1997 12 valve
370 injectors
laser cut d-valves
marine pistons
stock head
s300-66mm 1.0 A/R T-4
external gate
Spearco intercooler
Banks twin ram

This particular graph shows power as a function of time instead of rpm. In this way, we not only show how the cam affects power, but also how it affects spool. The results of a cam will vary based on how much extra fuel you have on tap and if there is any more potential air you can get out of your turbo. I'm not saying you will get this much power, just that these graphs indicate extra flow through the engine.
645- stock 12v cam
652- 181-210
688- 188-220
667- 206-220

Last edited:
I'm thinking of dropping in the same cam but I have had my head decked .020 I was told that I had to then put in an oversized head gasket could I just get the pistons fly cut and have plunty of clearence and not loose any compression or do I still need the over sized gasket

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I have Zach's 188/220 108lsa that will be going in my fresh engine. After going over all my clearances he recommended retarding the cam two degrees for enough valve to piston clearance. I will also be relieving my pistons .050" for peace of mind.

issisound, you could just take your head and have the seats cut to set valve recession like Zach said to at least .055 then run a stock head gasket as long as you have no more then .018 piston protrusion instead of tearing the pistons out.

I'm doing a full tare down and rebuild in a couple months when I return home from afghanistan so its not a huge deal at that point but I'm glad there are other options out there ide like to keep my compression up as much as possible thank you

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

The 188-220 is a drop in cam if you have

24 valve:

at least .038" valva face depth
no more than .018" piston protrusion
.010"/.020" lash

12v:

.055" valve depth
.018" piston protrusion
.010"/.020" lash

If your engine is a little in or out of spec, then a thicker head gasket or cut pistons are needed, or you could chang the intake centerline to 100 degrees to gain some clearance

Do the specs you have listed include the gasket? ie.....

For a 12v, is it....

.055" -.018" = .037", or, .055" -.018" + .061" (stock gasket)= .098" total piston to valve clearance? Seems like it has to be the .098", right?

I just did a drop test on my #1 intake @ TDC. I only had .070" piston to valve clearance.
Based on that should I plan on doing .030" flycuts, or, do I have it wrong, and the cam will actually drop-in?

Just don't want to get started expecting a a drop-in, then find out I've got to do fly cuts. (I don't want to run a thicker gasket).

Last edited:
Ok, I'm in the process of putting my motor together, will be running the 188/220. My clearances are quite a ways off. The new head has only about .030 valve depth, and the piston protrusion is .025-.030. I don't really want to flycut. Will I be ok just having the valves sunk in till I get the needed clearance? I will be running a .010 over gasket so that will help some.

If you can get to .090" of clearance, then you could get ~ .040" Int and ~.060" Ex clearance depending on exact CL. That's what I've been qouted by some cam manufacturers as an abosolute minimum. Although, Hamilton specs are a little higher.

With .030" PTV, .070" gasket (.010" over) and .030" piston protrusion, you'd only have .070". Too tight!

If you sink the valves to .060" (Cummins max), then you have .100" and should be good to go.

Hamilton told me minimum PTV was .04" but he's ran .03" but wouldn't recommend it. I'm right at .042" I'm hoping I'll be alright. I'm going to check my email to make sure those numbers are right.

Hamilton told me minimum PTV was .04" but he's ran .03" but wouldn't recommend it. I'm right at .042" I'm hoping I'll be alright. I'm going to check my email to make sure those numbers are right.

Actually, Ryan said that they've run them as tight as .015", but their published guidelines are more like .060".
As mine is at a 100CL, I'm about .032",.042". So it's possible, but like you said, not really recommended. So I'm kinda torn to try it or not.

It occured to me that a 12v lifter would likely give me the added clearance I need, but risk lobe damage if the edge hit. Maybe I'll give them a call about that?

Last edited:
Back