Has anyone corner scaled a rcsb?

70/30 is what I was guessing....and what I assume mine will be close too.
I'll definitely be hanging some lead behind the rear axle.

Where do you get your hands on lead? I got a bunch of flag pole toppers (pure lead) sitting at my farm

You can buy lead bricks from tons of places. Race car shops have them too....there's not a serious tube car in the country that doesn't have lead hanging on it somewhere. Or I can swing through Mo on my way home and pick up your flag pole things. LOL
I can picture fabbing up a shelf in the center far back on the framerails and sliding in some 50 pound bricks. I can't live with a 70/30 weight bias...I don't even want 60/40 on a short wheelbase truck. I know I can't have 50/50 but I'm gonna do something.
I like to throw this thing around curves on nice twisty roads...I'm not gonna give that up.

You might try your local tire shop and ask about their stash of old used wheel weights which you would have to melt down yourself but if you can get some, steel small block valve covers make perfect molds. Our shop has a whole pile of them We use for our stock cars

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, what is the weight bias of a ford lightning?

And how much can you modify the handling of the superduty with suspension modification?

Do you know they sell these fancy things called "cars"? I hear they handle much better than a 6000lb truck..

Very cool to hear of someone riding rails with a big truck.. makes me miss my Gixxer

My truck isn't in street trim. It's back halved with a 9inch, and bedsides. I have almost no weight removed from the front except moving the batteries to the rear. I was really surprised that it hooks as good as it does with the bias that far in front. I feel that it can only get better when I address the front half.

You can buy lead bricks from tons of places. Race car shops have them too....there's not a serious tube car in the country that doesn't have lead hanging on it somewhere. Or I can swing through Mo on my way home and pick up your flag pole things. LOL
I can picture fabbing up a shelf in the center far back on the framerails and sliding in some 50 pound bricks. I can't live with a 70/30 weight bias...I don't even want 60/40 on a short wheelbase truck. I know I can't have 50/50 but I'm gonna do something.
I like to throw this thing around curves on nice twisty roads...I'm not gonna give that up.

have you looked into altering the firewall,and moving the engine rearward, also independant rear suspenion, to keep it light and handle

And how much can you modify the handling of the superduty with suspension modification?

Do you know they sell these fancy things called "cars"? I hear they handle much better than a 6000lb truck..

Custom front springs and bigger swaybar/urethane bushings, urethane bushings in the i-beams and radius arms up front. Pulled a leaf to soften up the rear, aluminum bushings in the leafs in the front, urethane in the rear shackle, bigger rear sway bar w/urethane there too along with good shocks on all 4 corners and triangulated traction bars to keep the rearend both centered and planted. That crap combined with the drop and wide tires plants this big bastard pretty good.

I on occasion meet up with a local group from an LS1 forum and we run the backroads through the woods north of me....very popular road for groups like that. I generally wind up in the top 3 after a run. I've surprised many Camaro, Trans Am and even a few Corvette owners with what I can force my truck to do. Then again...some of them are pusses. If the tires ain't squealing a little bit you can still go harder into the corner. LOL

have you looked into altering the firewall,and moving the engine rearward, also independant rear suspenion, to keep it light and handle

No thanks....the motor is as far back as it can go and I'm not redoing all that. I'm not giving up any creature comforts. I'll move around and add all the weight I can and have to just live with whatever it winds up being.

While it's kinda apples to oranges, here are the initial weights from my new pro stock truck (tube chassis Duramax). Weight was added to locations to simulate things like the transmission (lockup powerglide), and I was in the driver's seat:
792 LF 729 RF
451 LR 390 RR, 2362 total, 64/36 split

I am moving the engine back and revising the wheelbase (moving the rear axle closer to the cab, stretching the front wheels farther from the cab), shooting for 52% front bias without any ballast.

I've got a 95 rcsb in stock trim. The scales are about a mile from me, I'll run by there tomorrow and at least give you a front and rear wieght.It has stock steel chrome wheels and 265-16's on it with nothing in the bed. That should give you an idea.

5750 with me at 230 a empty buddy tank in the front of the bed at around 150 and 15 gal of fuel in the tank. Front wieghed 3500 and rear was 2250. It has factory steel chrome wheels and 265-16's with factory bumpers no spare. I know this isn't corner to corner but that ought to be pretty even. I'm guessing we are talking dodge mines a 95.

Last edited:
Mine will be a Ford...just looking for some general info on front to rear bias.
Yours is 61/39....not bad really.

Rich, I went thru 3 different sets of corner scales and could not get a good reading on the front from maxing out the scales. We ended up have to rig up a jig to hold a second scale on a floor jack to measure how much weight we had to lift to get the original scale to read and added them together. (Total pain in the ass!) I don't have the actual corner weights with me offshore to look at but it weighted in at 5600 lbs total with roughly 3400 in the front and 2200 to the rear.

Not sure if you remember the rack on the back I had we played with adding weight in the rear and with the softer suspension in the rear from the coil overs the top end stability under power was a handful. I had to 86 the weights all together for now but I hope to play with it some more in the future but moving it over or just forward of the rear axle. I would also just be careful to not go to light on the rear springs or perhaps some really good valving on compression stroke with the shocks. Just what I have found so far but Im not trying to make a road racer.

I do look forward to seeing what you come up with perhaps it could help me out some down the line. If nothing else it is one hell of a cool project.

Aluminum block and head??? That would make ME smile.

LOL

Every truck stop I have ever weighed at has had different pads that let you get individual axle weights. Every one of them has been a CAT scale. They usually charge around $10 to weigh. CAT Scale Search

Aluminum block and head??? That would make ME smile.

LOL
My lottery truck is a tube chassis version of what I'm building now, with a sleeved billet aluminum block and aluminum head. It probably wouldn't last...but it would be cool as hell. LOL

Back