having serious pump issues

Marinewife1616

ok so i got my 01 24 valve p pump swap done and i thought i had the timing set to 18.5* i have .084 lines 150hp vp pop pressure injectors and .022dvs and 4kgsk so my issue im having is i can rev the truck slowly up to 2200 rpm but then it breaks up and white smokes like crazy and wont spool the 64/71/14 i have i have a overflow valve with a airdog 150 holing 42psi all the time and when you put it to the floor it just craps out falls on its face and smoke horribly a nast black grey and whitish depending on rpms i cant figure this thing out at all need some advice asap moving next week.

Is your timing off? I had a friends truck with a p pump set up have similar issues @ around 1500 rpm- thing would crap out when you nailed it to the floor. He timed the pump again and also had an injector issue. Since then truck has been ok:nos:

Bump the timing up. For some reason these like higher timing. Mine ran good at 24*

We'll I had the pump pin timed and advanced it by 2.9mm so if the pump is pin timed at 12.5* that should have set the pump at 27ish* and still does the same

Which pump? Between the 160-215hp pumps they are different. Verify the pinned timing with the timing tool. Also when setting it make sure the pump isn't moving on you when you release the gear. It's easy to get off a little with a pump with notched plungers if you have one of those.

its a 175 hp pump and yes at the same rpms and notched plungers whats that? cuz the gear is easy to pull off and i made sure nothing moved and i pin timed it and moved the pump to the right which would be 2.9mm and when i put the gear on and tighted it it moved slightly more advanced but less than .2mm so if anything it might have moved it to 28* so im starting to think that mayb it aint timing. but yes same rpm you get the same thing now at one point me just pulling the gear off and turning the engine back a bit i got it to 2200rpm but couldnt get it have realy any response or spool the charger so im at a loss. any ideas or still think its in the timing? im running out of time cuz i have to move south on wednsday so i need my truck to do it. also when you pin time is the pump advanced or is the pump at bdc?

Are you pin timing as in, setting TDC #1 and the pin in the pump?

If you do that then move the engine over clockwise til desired plunger lift/timing is reached. Pop the gear and turn the engine counter clockwise just past TDC then bring back to TDC and tighten the pump gear.

You will have the flat top plungers. The 190 and 215 pumps are the only ones I have seen with a notched plunger.

yes i pin time the pump and then adjust to the desired lift then pop the gear then turn engine to tdc then reinstall the gear

im using a dial caliper to make sure the piston on number one is all the way up on the compression stroke

also question on dvs? my friend installed these so the bigger part go in the bottom or towards the top? where the dvs sit in?

You are more than likely 360* off. I've done that a couple times and had the same results.

When making sure the engine is TDC, are you marking the balancer at a known height BTDC then rotating to the same known height ATDC, marking the balancer again, then measuring the exact center of the two marks for your TDC? If not then you can be a long ways off of true TDC.

Back