HE351cw on to a 12V in progress....

I had one laying around a few years back off of an 05. Put it on a 97 with a 913 and a 4k kit, It came on hard on the bottom almost instantly, great temps. Max boost was around 43psi. Welded a wastegate actuator off of an hx35 on the turbine housing, and then tapped the front housing.

so there are a couple guys on here that have already done this and are dooing it i see. for those who have already done it hows the egt's? everyone on 1stgen.org thinks im insane im gonna burn up my engine because of the 9cm housing. i have a basicly stock 1st gen ve 12v with minor pump mods i am going to put 370's or 6x12 or 13's on it later. my turbo has failed and i am looking at this a cheap and power making mod to get my truck going again what do you guys think?

The HE351 will run cooler than any HX35 or older WH1c from the 1st gen days.

9cm open throat flows more like a 10-11cm divided housing. The turbine wheel is a little bigger on the HE351 than the HX35 so in all reality, it probably flows quite similar on the exhaust portion. The air compressor on the HE of course, is much larger.

cool how did u do your wastegate i was thinking about either tig welding the the wastegate shut or making some sort of spring device to just let drive pressure open it up because i will have to clock the turbo way diffrent and in no way will the stock wastgate work for me

Don't weld it shut you need a way to relieve Drive pressure. Weld a wastegate off of a hx35 onto the new turbine housing, it worked fine for me. Then you can clock it any way you want. It is not a major performance turbo, just an inexpensive upgrade.

I don't suppose you have a picture of the wastegate change. That would make the cold air hookup alot easier. Just got the flanges from nathan yesterday for mine. I got two with a flange for a s-400 from him to make a twin setup with. His flanges are real reasonable and the workmanship is top notch.

This is all I did for my wastegate. It takes quite a tug to get that sucker to compress....

Attachments

• 100_0455.jpg
    100_0455.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 76
haven't ran the truck yet. Won't be able to until about the end of the month when my trans. parts get here... Just a little project to consume the time:Cheer:

Big Blue 24 would be able to answer that, although it may not be 100% the same on my 12V...

yeah i meen if i end up getting 325 hp out of my truck by the time i am done with it i would be extatic and that turbo will do me just fine as long as it dont get hot i mught even make a ve pump 24v just for a conversation peice that would be the only on of them around lol

Will a compressor housing off of an HX35/WH1C fit/work on this turbo? Id almost try one, but I hate messing with the intercooler piping, and buying boots.

Eric

Diesel Power, great looking spring setup. Looks like you will have no adjustability short of installing a heavier spring or making the spring anchor point closer or farther from the wastegate lever arm.

I thought about doing that exact same thing but as I'm sure you know, if a guy were to clock the compressor housing so that the discharge is around 6 or 7 o'clock, the tabs that you used would be up near 12 or 1 o' clock, which is not a good place to stretch a spring to and retain reasonable geometry/angle for proper wastegate function.

I believe Nathan at MPI mounts his nifty brace off the oil drain bolts. Back when I was doing my conversion, I contacted him via PM and he was too busy to sell me a bracket, or give me advice on how to make one. I don't have any beef about that because he was the innovator so he shouldn't have to share, just surprised gwhammy got one!

Smokem, I stand corrected on the turbine wheel. I just measured the bore on an extra HE351 that picked up the other day and the it came out to 59mm, so a 58mm turbine exducer sounds reasonable. As I recall measuring measuring my old HX35, it had a 58mm turbine exducer as well.

Do you know if one turbine wheel has more clip than another?

Cummins Driver, I'm not sure what it would take make a 54mm compressor housing fit on a 60mm compressor housing. We all know they make 60mm compressor housings, but I'm not sure what clearance issues you'd have with the 88mm exducer on the HE vs the 83mm exducer on the HX.

I didn't get wastegate bracket, I got a couple of exhaust flanges and a s-400 flange for a 3.5 pipe. Real nice guy to talk to and deal with. I'm looking to buy a 3rd gen. in the next year and I will go to him for the twin setup.
I'm thinking on rotating the housing and tig welding a tab on the cold housing to hold the wastegate. Just thinking!

I didn't get wastegate bracket, I got a couple of exhaust flanges and a s-400 flange for a 3.5 pipe. Real nice guy to talk to and deal with. I'm looking to buy a 3rd gen. in the next year and I will go to him for the twin setup.
I'm thinking on rotating the housing and tig welding a tab on the cold housing to hold the wastegate. Just thinking!

I've got a 3rd gen I'll sell ya... even has twins on it :p

I'm not in the market till mid to late of next year. My 02 has 88,000 miles on it so I need to ride it quite a bit more. If the money tree buds I will buy one sooner!:bang:bang:bang

I'm not in the market till mid to late of next year. My 02 has 88,000 miles on it so I need to ride it quite a bit more. If the money tree buds I will buy one sooner!:bang:bang:bang

Still waiting for my money seed to break ground level....LOL

Back