Horrible sound!!!

cumminstroked

In my 04 F250 I have a horrible sound in my driveline somewhere. I thought it was a hub assembly but I was wrong. I'll be driving down the road and it'll just start squealing really loud and then if i hit a bump in the road it'll stop, or sometimes if i hit a bump it'll squeal for a split second. I have no idea what it could be. It's coming from under the cab somewhere i believe. Sounds like a bearing spinning. I checked tcase fluid and it was decent, it didn't smell burnt, no metal shavings, wasn't really clean but not too dirty and no water in it. At first I thought it might be something in my front end but after thinking about it a little while if my hubs aren't locked and I don't have it in 4wd then I don't think anything is turning past the tcase. Any ideas on where to look would be great.
Thanks

sure its not the motor? haha do you have a carrier bearing on the driveshaft thats going out? check rear end?

sure its not the motor? haha do you have a carrier bearing on the driveshaft thats going out? check rear end?

lol if it was the motor it would give me a dang good excuse to do another cummins conversion :rockwoot: No carrier bearing. I don't think its the rear end but I haven't checked it yet either. I would think I would feel it. When it starts squealing it doesn't change how it drives or runs. It just makes an awful noise.

well you might want to do a 6.0 delete anyway haha
im tryin to remember how everything mounts up the 6.0 weve got. it could be a bushing that has worn through and the stud inside is coming in contact with metal?

well you might want to do a 6.0 delete anyway haha
im tryin to remember how everything mounts up the 6.0 weve got. it could be a bushing that has worn through and the stud inside is coming in contact with metal?

Actually the 6.0 delete is in the horizon lol. I just can't justify tearing it down since I haven't had any problems with it yet and it only has 80k miles on it.

It could be a bushing but i don't know why it would have a continuous squeal to it. Sometimes it'll squeal for 10 seconds or so than it'll just stop when i hit a bump in the road or sometimes just stop on its own. Unless you're talking a different type of bushing like the a bushing related to bearing...

Inner needle bearings in hub or hub bearing itself.

I wouldnt take for granted that you're front end isnt spinning, unless its lockouts/ manual tcase

Inner needle bearings in hub or hub bearing itself.
I replaced the whole hub assembly and put a new lock in and still makes noise... When it does make noise the steering and power of the truck isn't effected at all...

I wouldnt take for granted that you're front end isnt spinning, unless its lockouts/ manual tcase
The lock outs are in the auto/unlock position and I'm pretty sure the t case doesn't put any power through the front shaft in 2wd. The auto/unlock position on the hub is activated by vacuum. It is an electric tcase

mine has manual/automatic lockouts.

If it is the front defferential or something inside the axle what could it be? The hub assemblies are crossed off the list being that they are new.
This truck is mostly parked this time of year so hopefully throughout this coming week now that my build is going back together and i have a little more room. I plan to open up th diff and check everything over and possibly swap tcase with the one I have laying around if I don't find anything in the diff.
Thanks guys for the input so far!

He's talkin about the carrier bearing. Rear driveshaft. When your hubs lose vaccum they lock. Thats why I say they may not be unlocked. Move the truck while watching and verify nothings spinning

I would try a Cummins swap first! possible mud in hub assembly? Brakes? Joints?

Any luck with this? What cab configuration is the truck? Maybe a bum U-joint or Centering kit in the Double cardan end of the front driveshaft.

He's talkin about the carrier bearing. Rear driveshaft. When your hubs lose vaccum they lock. Thats why I say they may not be unlocked. Move the truck while watching and verify nothings spinning
No carrier bearing. I could have lost vacuum. I haven't gotten around to really checking things out on the truck. Its been parked for the past couple weeks now. Before I parked it I washed it really good. It appears to me like I may have a axle shaft seal that has took a crap on me. Once it was washed I went to move it off to the side and later that evening it looked like oil and dirt ran onto the wheel coming from right behind the center cap. Hoping to open it up this week but I hoped the same last week lol.
I would try a Cummins swap first! possible mud in hub assembly? Brakes? Joints?
Yeah I'd say another cummins swap will be sometime. I enjoyed the last one I did too much to not do another one lol. No mud or dirt anywhere, I keep the truck really clean, body, interior, under, everything. One hub assembly is brand new and the other is about 6 months old. Brakes were replaced about 3 months ago. I'll probably go ahead and put some new joints in it when I put the seals in.
Any luck with this? What cab configuration is the truck? Maybe a bum U-joint or Centering kit in the Double cardan end of the front driveshaft.
Pretty sure I lost a seal and everything got a little dry. Its a Reg cab long bet.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've been busy putting my other truck back together and just left this one parked since I have a car I drive daily anyways. Hopefully I will have some time in the near future to get it taken care of. I figure while I'm working on the front end fixing my leak I'll probably go through a lot of the other stuff too like ball joints, u joints, both seals, and whatever else I come accross. Its just the joys of owning a vehicle lol.

Thanks,
James

No carrier bearing. I could have lost vacuum. I haven't gotten around to really checking things out on the truck. Its been parked for the past couple weeks now. Before I parked it I washed it really good. It appears to me like I may have a axle shaft seal that has took a crap on me. Once it was washed I went to move it off to the side and later that evening it looked like oil and dirt ran onto the wheel coming from right behind the center cap. Hoping to open it up this week but I hoped the same last week lol.

Yeah I'd say another cummins swap will be sometime. I enjoyed the last one I did too much to not do another one lol. No mud or dirt anywhere, I keep the truck really clean, body, interior, under, everything. One hub assembly is brand new and the other is about 6 months old. Brakes were replaced about 3 months ago. I'll probably go ahead and put some new joints in it when I put the seals in.

Pretty sure I lost a seal and everything got a little dry. Its a Reg cab long bet.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've been busy putting my other truck back together and just left this one parked since I have a car I drive daily anyways. Hopefully I will have some time in the near future to get it taken care of. I figure while I'm working on the front end fixing my leak I'll probably go through a lot of the other stuff too like ball joints, u joints, both seals, and whatever else I come accross. Its just the joys of owning a vehicle lol.

Thanks,
James

Do the front and rear shafts both have a Double cardan joint at the transfer case? If so either one might be squeaky. Its pretty common.

Stay on top of it though, ive seen two of them where guys like the front go so long the centering pin broke off, the cardan joint bound up and it busted the transfer case off.

Do the front and rear shafts both have a Double cardan joint at the transfer case? If so either one might be squeaky. Its pretty common.

Stay on top of it though, ive seen two of them where guys like the front go so long the centering pin broke off, the cardan joint bound up and it busted the transfer case off.

I'm pretty sure that the front and rear both have double carden joints at the case. I figure if i pull my diff cover off and its full of fluid I'll just save the seals for a different time and the headache. Are the joints at the double carden a real pain? they seem like they would be

I'm pretty sure that the front and rear both have double carden joints at the case. I figure if i pull my diff cover off and its full of fluid I'll just save the seals for a different time and the headache. Are the joints at the double carden a real pain? they seem like they would be

Yes, on average i rebuild one of those type of shafts a week, and i still think they suck. Most of the shops in a 50-60 mile radius send them to the shop i work at.

Back