How hard is it to find a good P Pump?

Hotlappin'

I ain't no F*in' Rookie!!
I am on the look out for a 887 or a 913 P-Pump. I have had 0 luck finding one that hasn't been sent to a shop already. Are they that rare?

What's wrong with one being sent to a shop? 9 times out of 10 there was nothing wrong to begin with and the original owner either wanted the mods he's done verified and balanced or perhaps just wants to make sure its good before he sells it.

What's wrong with one being sent to a shop? 9 times out of 10 there was nothing wrong to begin with and the original owner either wanted the mods he's done verified and balanced or perhaps just wants to make sure its good before he sells it.

I want to be able to start fresh with one and get it set up with 13mm plungers and barrels.

In that case an unmolested pump is getting pretty rare these days. I'd just take any pump you can find and have them go ahead and turn it in to a 13mm. They are going to be in there doing a lot of work and can find anything that might be wrong or anything else. I'm also pretty sure that almost all the mods from a 12mm (gsk, dv's, plate, etc) can be reused on a 13mm so might as well go ahead and use them. Or pull them out of the 12mm pump and sell them and help pay for the 13mm upgrade.

or just save yourself some money and buy one of the many built 13mm pumps for sale in the classified's

In that case an unmolested pump is getting pretty rare these days. I'd just take any pump you can find and have them go ahead and turn it in to a 13mm. They are going to be in there doing a lot of work and can find anything that might be wrong or anything else. I'm also pretty sure that almost all the mods from a 12mm (gsk, dv's, plate, etc) can be reused on a 13mm so might as well go ahead and use them. Or pull them out of the 12mm pump and sell them and help pay for the 13mm upgrade.

I'm just looking at it from a money standpoint. Why pay more for a previously worked pump and then pay again to have it made into what I want? Also I see a few 160s and 180s, but not very many 887 or 913's. I guess it takes time to find something very specific no matter what it is.

A 180 is just as good as a 215. They share the same cams and the 180 doesn't have the retard notches built in to the plungers like the 215 does. I can understand the money stand point but that's what negotiating is for. ;)

A 180 is just as good as a 215. They share the same cams and the 180 doesn't have the retard notches built in to the plungers like the 215 does. I can understand the money stand point but that's what negotiating is for. ;)

When I send the pump to the shop they will address the retarding issue if I were to happen upon one.

When I send the pump to the shop they will address the retarding issue if I were to happen upon one.

That will require changing the P/B's, but if you are building a 13mm pump then you are replacing the P/B's anyway. How much power are you trying to make requiring a 13mm pump?

That will require changing the P/B's, but if you are building a 13mm pump then you are replacing the P/B's anyway. How much power are you trying to make requiring a 13mm pump?

As much as I can get out of a 2.6.

must depend on wich part of the country your in, ive owned 4 887/ 913 pumps.2 were stock. 2 worked on. sold them all.now have a 180 pump and more excited about it than the 215 pumps.

If you are getting 13mm P&B's, doesn't matter if you start with a 180 or 215, since the only real difference is the barrels. Cam is the same. I wouldn't get hung up on which pump you get, since they will all be a step up from the VP.

If you are getting 13mm P&B's, doesn't matter if you start with a 180 or 215, since the only real difference is the barrels. Cam is the same. I wouldn't get hung up on which pump you get, since they will all be a step up from the VP.

Really? I was told the cams are different and thats why the 887 and 913 are so desirable.

not that a 13mm pump is necessary for a 2.6 truck, but if you are planning to send it to a shop and spend the money to have it turned into a 13mm pump you might as well get the cam ground for a quick rate delivery. If this is the case, it doesn't matter what pump you start with, everything that could possibly be different in a stock pump is going to get replaced anyways...$.02

not that a 13mm pump is necessary for a 2.6 truck, but if you are planning to send it to a shop and spend the money to have it turned into a 13mm pump you might as well get the cam ground for a quick rate delivery. If this is the case, it doesn't matter what pump you start with, everything that could possibly be different in a stock pump is going to get replaced anyways...$.02

Won't a quick rate cam hurt you if you can't operate it at the correct (higher) rpms? With a 2.6 hole im probably looking at 4500-4600 rpm max.

Back