How to build a dynamometer?

angelic0-

Does anyone have a detailed info on what you need to build one...

I have a team of good fabricators, and we want to give it a try to build one?

Why would you want to build one? While it would be cool to say that you did, I think after the man hours and material costs of figuring it out you would be money ahead if you just went ahead and bought one.

Dunya-haritasi-ulkeler-7.gif

In case you didn't know, Iceland is in the center.. below Greenland...

Not sure why they didn't swap names... :')

But... it's equally expensive to ship something to Iceland from US or EU... doesn't matter shipping will always kill me, and then comes customs and taxes..

This country is on a fast way to hell with all the recession and currency prices...

ahh, Didn't see the Iceland part of the equation...knowing that now, I say move some place else.

Would do anything to move to the US, but your Green Card thingy takes that out of the picture :)

Not really sure if i want to live in EU...

But does anyone have any information on how this would be possible ?

I wonder if you could use a big generator and measure the power produced? Itd be closer to how they dyno big trucks, where you go to rated rpm's and pull it down with the dyno. I dont know how well automotive size stuff would deal with that, though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Sure bob :)

But seriously, there are three dynamometers here, but they are all limited to 350ft.lbs of torque, so STOCK... i was out of range...

Why not just use a Gtech?? They're fairly accurate on quarter mile times and speeds, if you just need it for a tuning tool. Just plug in the numbers to a HP calculator online. The Gtech also gives HP numbers, but they are about 10-20% lower than chassis dyno numbers.

The only way I could see building a "cheap" dyno would be an inertia-style dyno like a dynojet. Basically a huge, heavy roller that you'd have to spin up....maybe off of a steamroller? After that, it would just be some math equations to get horsepower numbers, as long as your traction was good enough.

I have a G-Tech, not accurate enough for me...

Says my truck is 707hp & 1554tq...

Not really buying it because if it were true my clutch would be toast !

I would use the same setup truck rear and use a water brake and measure hp by rpm of drive shaft and water pressure. Would take some calculation to get it set accurate.

From my smart car.

Back