How to build a dynamometer?

angelic0-

Does anyone have a detailed info on what you need to build one...

I have a team of good fabricators, and we want to give it a try to build one?

Why would you want to build one? While it would be cool to say that you did, I think after the man hours and material costs of figuring it out you would be money ahead if you just went ahead and bought one.

I'm quite certain there are more than a few European dealers and manufactures.

Dunya-haritasi-ulkeler-7.gif

In case you didn't know, Iceland is in the center.. below Greenland...

Not sure why they didn't swap names... :')

But... it's equally expensive to ship something to Iceland from US or EU... doesn't matter shipping will always kill me, and then comes customs and taxes..

This country is on a fast way to hell with all the recession and currency prices...

ahh, Didn't see the Iceland part of the equation...knowing that now, I say move some place else.

Would do anything to move to the US, but your Green Card thingy takes that out of the picture :)

Not really sure if i want to live in EU...

But does anyone have any information on how this would be possible ?

I wonder if you could use a big generator and measure the power produced? Itd be closer to how they dyno big trucks, where you go to rated rpm's and pull it down with the dyno. I dont know how well automotive size stuff would deal with that, though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Would do anything to move to the US, but your Green Card thingy takes that out of the picture :)

Just come in from the mexican border. We'll hook you up with whatever you need LOL

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Sure bob :)

But seriously, there are three dynamometers here, but they are all limited to 350ft.lbs of torque, so STOCK... i was out of range...

Why not just use a Gtech?? They're fairly accurate on quarter mile times and speeds, if you just need it for a tuning tool. Just plug in the numbers to a HP calculator online. The Gtech also gives HP numbers, but they are about 10-20% lower than chassis dyno numbers.

The only way I could see building a "cheap" dyno would be an inertia-style dyno like a dynojet. Basically a huge, heavy roller that you'd have to spin up....maybe off of a steamroller? After that, it would just be some math equations to get horsepower numbers, as long as your traction was good enough.

I have a G-Tech, not accurate enough for me...

Says my truck is 707hp & 1554tq...

Not really buying it because if it were true my clutch would be toast !

I would use the same setup truck rear and use a water brake and measure hp by rpm of drive shaft and water pressure. Would take some calculation to get it set accurate.

From my smart car.

It's the G-tech Pro SS...

But i would like to know how to build a real scale dynamometer, i need the real thing..

Back