Hydro locked or starter?

dangerous06

diesel tech
Hit the key and solid hit but no turn of the crank? 4:30am raining.... I drove the car in to work! Batteries are good even with the charger on start nothing.
Hydro locked would be worst case going to drop the trans shield and use a pry bar to see what's up tonight! But right now thinking about this sucks!
Truck started 10 hours earlier no problem moved a trailer in the yard and shut it down.

Since it may be hydro locked, try to turn it in the opposite direction, if it doesn't turn, then bigger issues are probably waiting.
If it turns over, then I'd look harder at the starter.

Next, you can test the main part of starter motor still on the engine, without engaging the bendix, by applying current to one end of the heavy wire that loops around the starter.

Chances are it smoked the contacts in the solenoid.

Mark.

YEAH I WASHED THE TRUCK THE NIGHT BEFORE! Not sure if that did the starter in but it hits hard dims the lights and nothing happens got home to late tonight to do anything!

I'd bet starter. I manage to get it a lot at work. Mainly from guys that crank **** till it's dead. But they get the sound of being locked up.

dang man! lets pray for a bad starter!.

for what its worth, when my truck was newer i would take it to a certain car wash that sprayed the under carriage and when i went to leave i would always get a solenoid click and the starter would barley bump up. i always had to wait about 10 mins for it to dry more then it would fire right up.

.... talk about embarrassing! keep us posted!

Picked up a starter today and spent 3 hrs in the dental torture chair! Always tomorrow! Lucky I have a back up truck! 2 trailers to move tomorrow then starter time! turned the motor over at the fly wheel bad ass compression in one cylinder hardly could get past it but seems like starter.

Just curious, what would lead you to believe it may be hydro locked? Was there a problem previous to this? Just seems odd to me that the truck drives fine then won't start and hydro locked is on the table as one of two possible culprits. My bet is on starter too but I had to ask.

well, if he dropped a nozzle, diesel will flood a cylinder and DEN......

well, if he dropped a nozzle, diesel will flood a cylinder and DEN......

Right. I understand what it is and what can cause it. Just wondered why that was the first thought when it didn't crank. It's not like dropping or splitting a nozzle is real common.

Many years of experience I guess! I could tell by the noise. Replaced the starter turned the motor over at the fly wheel to relieve the fluid in the cylinder and finally got it to crank over after putting the charger on start 50 amps works every time LOL
Well it was hydro locked why is the question??
Two possible things fuel tip or coolant leak. I'm going with coolant leak because it ran fine after I blew it out. Reservoir is down about an inch or two. Hard to except this but on a side note I always park my truck on a up hill position this time I parked nose down but why would that matter?
So in conclusion I'm screwed LOL

Maybe headgasket. When you shut it off coolant pressure over comes cylinder and pushes the coolant in the cylinder.

Sorry man, that sucks. I will suggest draining coolant as much as possible and getting all the cylinders cleared out as soon as possible. It doesn't take long for cylinder wall and ring damage with coolant/water sitting in there.

Well a gallon low on coolant! So pulling the motor and trans anyone interested in a new thread on Engine removal? Pictures and short cuts?!

im probably going to get scrutinized for saying this but you dont HAVE to pull the motor. not just yet anyway.

you have no clue if you even have any real damage yet.

my advice... grab efi live, do a quick injector rate test then a compression test, THEN pull the head and see where the gasket failed and finally inspect the problematic cylinder.

it never ran hot right?

as i type this i also have to think of the risk that comes with putting it back together to find out it has a ring problem.

anyone feel me on this?

I melted a piston in this engine about 100k ago. had some cylinder wall damage I honed out. I have a spare engine sitting on the shelf with a cam and other upgrades I want to try out this was just a reason to do it! I ran the engine at 1400 egt's for many miles and want to see if it did any damage. I was just looking for a reason I'm amazed it lasted this long! Lots of abuse and max power runs cummins are tough engines! Looking forward to building this motor again and putting it on the shelf for the next time maybe 5 or six years!

well heck yeah. get her pulled then!

and 1400* .... i remember what i had my first beer

:) lol

Back