i ran a dam 18.2 ?!?!??!?!?!!!

governor springs and advance the timing will liven a 12 valve up then when you get the 4k gov springs adj your TV cable to make it shift around 3600rpm at full throttle. and start saving your pennies for a trans you can make a ton of power but you have to put it to the ground.

When it kicks into what you were calling OD, how much does the rpm drop? If it's a pretty big drop, your torque converter might not be too happy.

when the legendry cummins sound is.
the truck did this before i even did any mods. maybe its a 4th gear low or some chit. ill get a video of what it does. it shifts smooth., and at 50mph it drops into a low gear ( what im calling overdrive ) and the truck dumps tons of smoke ( when the pedal is to the floor ) and the turbo lights and wants to break the rear tires loose and it pulls and pulls until i let off

It's a 4sp auto it's shifting 1234 then at 50mph the converter has a clutch in it. and will apply which makes it 1 to 1 kind of like a manual tranny with a clutch with the stock converter being pretty loose you are dropping a lot of rpm which is why you would think it's shifting another gear but you are still in 4th gear if you got another torque converter and upgrades to the transmission it won't drop near as much and will be putting more power to the wheels I hope this clarifies the transmission dilemma

when the legendry cummins sound is.
the truck did this before i even did any mods. maybe its a 4th gear low or some chit. ill get a video of what it does. it shifts smooth., and at 50mph it drops into a low gear ( what im calling overdrive ) and the truck dumps tons of smoke ( when the pedal is to the floor ) and the turbo lights and wants to break the rear tires loose and it pulls and pulls until i let off

It's a 4sp auto it's shifting 1234 then at 50mph the converter has a clutch in it. and will apply which makes it 1 to 1 kind of like a manual tranny with a clutch with the stock converter being pretty loose you are dropping a lot of rpm which is why you would think it's shifting another gear but you are still in 4th gear if you got another torque converter and upgrades to the transmission it won't drop near as much and will be putting more power to the wheels I hope this clarifies the transmission dilemma

c'mon young grasshopper, 4th gear is overdrive. like said above, its 1-2-3-4(OD)-TC lockup.

Garrett

garrett thank you for still having that picture up!!! and ok it only drops 500rpms in what i thought was overdrive. ok so i need a faster way to get there!!!!!! gsk and shift kit on the way. TC its going to be a while

time it to around 17 degrees it will run smoother and cooler its a cheap mod thats worth it. your truck already having a bunch of miles im sure the timing has slipped a little Ive seen timing 9 degrees on a truck with 180k

Keep in mind its harder on the head gasket though.

17* shouldnt hurt anything, but it wasnt long ago i timed a boys truck at 20* for him and he went out and blew his head gasket the same night.

Eric

ya it definitly creates alot more cylinder pressure if he keeps it around 17 and retorques the head it should be ok

ya but its set at around 12 stock probably its around 10 or 11 if you set it to 17 it will make a big difference

500rpm is a pretty good drop.

Next time you go out for a drive, when it locks the TCC (torque converter clutch) watch the tach. If the tach is moving accordingly with the speedo, then the clutch isn't slipping a whole lot. If the truck is speeding up but the tach stays in one place for a second or two and then starts to rise, the clutch is slipping, and you need to do something to help keep it alive.

If you have 68K, your trans is probably fresh enough to hold most of what you are making power wise. It won't keep doing this.

500rpm is a pretty good drop.

Next time you go out for a drive, when it locks the TCC (torque converter clutch) watch the tach. If the tach is moving accordingly with the speedo, then the clutch isn't slipping a whole lot. If the truck is speeding up but the tach stays in one place for a second or two and then starts to rise, the clutch is slipping, and you need to do something to help keep it alive.

If you have 68K, your trans is probably fresh enough to hold most of what you are making power wise. It won't keep doing this.

its actually if the speedo stays in one place and the tach rises without the speedo rising with it then the clutch in the torque converter is slipping. or even the clutches in the tranny for what ever gear your in when you hit lockup may be slipping from the increased torque being applied from the tranny being 1:1 with the motor.

I see what you're saying.

What I experienced with my 96 was something like this: it would lock up but it wouldn't drop all the way in rpm at lockup, the engine had enough torque to turn through the clutch. The crank would maintain like 1600rpm until the transmission internals would match speed, the clutch would stop slipping and 1:1 would be achieved.

there;s no slippage at all and i just changed my fluid and filter. no metal flakes!!!

Back