Injector problems.

Sounds like something is cracked then and only gets worse as it gets warm. Send them back to have the nozzles and/or bodies replaced.

Sounds like something is cracked then and only gets worse as it gets warm. Send them back to have the nozzles and/or bodies replaced.

Thats probably not going to happen. I traded a smaller 5 hole set for these. I happened to be going through the texts of the deal and was told they were 145* and that the guy I got them from wouldnt have bought them if they werent. So I assumed that they were atleast 148* nozzles edm'd:bang. Well after the first attempt to get these to stop leaking i tried some anerobic sealant on the threads. When I took them apart i wrote down the part number of the nozzle and they were 158* nozzles. Now I have talked to four builders on these, 2 say tighting them up to 145 cant really be done, one says it elogates the holes(bet thats a nice even spray patteren) and one says it can be done. I know when I had buddies 5x,029 vco in this weekend it ran smoother, less haze if any at idle, and truck overall ran better with the big 5 hole sticks. The billet s466 even cleaned them up better than when it had the 7 holes in.

A picture of two of the three
ytynyvus.jpg

Sent from the recliner butt naked

Finally some truth to my injector problems. I am not going to name who looked at them for me, thats up to him to comment on them. This is the info I got from him.

Matt,
Your injectors arrived. (3) of them popped correctly and tested normal, their pop pressures ranged from 280 to 272 bar.
(1) popped clean but had some marginal external leakage after a few minutes, it also popped lower than the others at 264 bar.
(1) popped rough, had moderately heavy external leakage after a few seconds, it popped quite a bit lower than the others at 238 bar.
(1) would not pop, with just a few hundred psi it had major external leakage and was spraying fuel out of the injector nut. It acted just like a cracked body or cracked intermediate disk. I swapped a stock nozzle onto the body with a new intermediate disk and it acted the same. Upon careful inspection, the mating surface of the injector body had numerous pitted low spots, also the edge of the body nearest the feed passage was rounded and tapered to where there wasn't a clean mating surface for a proper seal.

I worked on this one worst injector to see if I could salvage the body. I ended up cutting and lapping nearly .010" off the mating surface to get the injector to seal up and pop normally. It's much better and will actually pop, but it does still have a marginally small leak after a few minutes on the pop tester. It'll probably take another .001" lapped cut to get it to 100% seal.

I agreed to look at them for free, which I have, I also 95% fixed the worst injector for free just to satisfy my own curiosity and verify I had accurately diagnosed the problem and proved that the body and intermediate disk are not cracked.

From here on out, my time is no longer free. There are three options:
1. I return ship the injectors via USPS.
2. For $?? I will fix the leakage, ultra-sonic clean, lap, and reset the pop pressures on all (6) injectors to 280 bar.
3. For $?? I will make all the corrections above as well as modify the tips of the needles on these injectors to increase sac volume which will pick up another 40-50 HP worth of fueling since they currently do not have custom needle work.

Got them back and installed today. They are completely different. Idle is smoother and run cleaner.

Sent from the recliner butt naked

Back