Injector ratings....

JQmile

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Is there any universal rating for testing injector flow? Like cc's per millisecond per 1,000 strokes at X psi or something? Or do people just make em :bow: "bigger" LOL

I think most injectors that are rated in LPM are used by blowing air through the nozzle...doesn't seem too....uhh...representative.

My injector data from Bosch Motorsports came back as mm3/st charted on the vertical axis, and energization time on the horizontal. Flows well more than three times stock.

why not a value and a fluid we can all relate to? say for example.... good old diesel fuel ? and hey what the heck, how bout a nice conservative pressure, 20,000 psi...... two things we see everyday, and maybe a 10,000 psi result for the pre cr injectors.

Diesel fuel is really poisonous when injected directly into the skin, that's why a lot of test setups use a not-so-lethal fluid in the test stand.

true, thats why they tell you to never loosen any lines on a cr motor while working on it. I just seems the only way to get a real answer.

Temperature and pressure are also controlled, 40° C and 100BAR. That is OEM spec, the problem is the aftermarket throwing out inflated numbers trying to sell parts.

why not a value and a fluid we can all relate to? say for example.... good old diesel fuel ? and hey what the heck, how bout a nice conservative pressure, 20,000 psi...... two things we see everyday, and maybe a 10,000 psi result for the pre cr injectors.

Nothing is wrong with lower pressures and different fluid...so long as everyone uses the same testing procedures so the results are comparable with each other.

At least in my feeble little mind:D
Chris

I agree to a point, but, lets face it, minute differences will show in greater detail at higher pressure. 100 bar is only 1450 psi, quite a ways off from the 27k that we hold down the quarter.

at least at 20k we are closer to real world pressures. I know, digging too deep into it, more involved than simple volume... but still.

Calibration results from a CR injector are quite different than just raw nozzle flow used in conjunction with mechanical injectors. Flow readings are taken from five different pressures and cross checked to ensure proper and even flow. In this aspect you will see pressure listed in MPa(megapascal) and QTY mm³, MPa can be easily converted to pressure by multiplying the given value by 145.0377;

180MPa/26,107psi
160MPa/23,206psi
100MPa/14,504psi
60MPa/8,702psi
25MPa/3,626psi

Often the quantity in mm³ @ 160MPa will correlate with the raw nozzle flow.

Back