Intake Manifold Design

any one have any EGT data for cylinders #1 and #6 in a high hp rig with the stock shelf?

hard to believe that the restrictions in the path to #1 intake runner can be over come with just a port/valve job

Yep! You would be surprised how little difference there is between them and the others

I guess I should have pointed that out. I do sort of get the impression that Leiffi is from across the pond, so I wasn't expecting him to be right on top of things going on here, though I may be wrong about that.

I agree with Weston, though while somewhat dated, 5 or so years ago one of the best superfarms in the country made 100+ dyno runs tuning. Pretty sure it was a riverside engine. They gained a total of 8hp tuning, and the stock 619 intake made the most power.

Same goes for what was previously (until the end of last year) the top pro stock semi in Ohio, who also spanked many of 4 charger semi's at bowling green for several years. After dozens of dyno runs and half a dozen manifolds that cost stupid amounts of money, the stock KTA manifold is making the most power. I haven't seen what Fink put on the latest top dog in the class.
You are right, I'm from Europe.

OEMs usually know what they are doing, especially when talking about HD engines, so it's not a surprise that stock manifold is one of the best. With lots of testing and simulations you can propably get a better design but the gains might not be worth it for the normal weekend racer.

So the concensus, for most DD and weekend warriors, would be to port the exhaust side as much as you can within reason and port what you can reach from the seat at the intake side and leave the factory shelf on?? Along with a quality valve job ofcourse.

Speaking of valve jobs, found an interesting article. Read page 2, could this be applied to a 24v head or would it even make sense it our application.
http://www.fev.com/fileadmin/fev-resources/Publications/Diesel_Systems/GasExchangeOptimizationandImpactonEmissionReductionforHSDIDiesel.pdf

I've heard that the log intakes make a whopping at of this world 4hp over a stock shelf intake. Now torque numbers weren't mentioned but HP was.

I've heard that the log intakes make a whopping at of this world 4hp over a stock shelf intake. Now torque numbers weren't mentioned but HP was.

On what? A stock engine or an unlimited?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Stock Cast head built engine. Meaning it was said of a maxed out stock head on a full built 12v

Last edited:
OEMs usually know what they are doing, especially when talking about HD engines, so it's not a surprise that stock manifold is one of the best..

With that being said, the manifold on the dragster is basically the same design as the stock intake for that engine, just larger for more volume.

On a cummins 5.9 the biggest single reason to knock the intake manifold off is so you can properly port it, the second is weight. Sled guys probably don't care so much about the second, as it is right up over the front axle anyways.

On a cummins 5.9 the biggest single reason to knock the intake manifold off is so you can properly port it, the second is weight. Sled guys probably don't care so much about the second, as it is right up over the front axle anyways.

How far can you take it(intake side) before you compromise swirl/intake velocities?

I'd like to see back to back comparisons on a 12 or 24V between a billet bolt on shelf style intake with a larger plenum and a individual runner. I'm pretty convinced that the air gets stupid between the end of the runner and the port opening.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the intake that is one big opening without hesitation, at least with a Cummins head.

I'd like to see back to back comparisons on a 12 or 24V between a billet bolt on shelf style intake with a larger plenum and a individual runner. I'm pretty convinced that the air gets stupid between the end of the runner and the port opening.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the intake that is one big opening without hesitation, at least with a Cummins head.

Me too, on both accounts.

SMTINTAKE_zps5beaa659.jpg

I like the way you think

I would love to know how they plumbed the injector lines around that massive intake given it totally covers the injection pump in the pic that 9424vf350 posted

air does not like to bend or go around sharp corners very well lol. we have 6 blown alky motors here that we run in the sand in 4 different trucks and or jeeps and although some of our stuff is turning 9800 rpm with only 25ish psi, i can tell you at high rpm lower boost like we are running a individual runner setup netted a pretty decent gain on our setup. here is a pic or 2

IMG_20120107_092704.jpg

IMG_20120121_105300.jpg

Back