Intake: side vs top entrance

I like his opening statement
6d44fd3b8b6135a5814b2cbb28a1c13f.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

As great as that rendering might look, everyone forgets that were not flowing air into every port at the same time. Intake valves are opening one at a time so the water hose theory doesn't apply as much to what were doing.
Essentially you have a constant flow of air, but only at the rate of what one of your six intake valves will allow so even flow to all six intake ports is a moot test in my drop out mechanical engineering mind.

As great as that rendering might look, everyone forgets that were not flowing air into every port at the same time. Intake valves are opening one at a time so the water hose theory doesn't apply as much to what were doing.
Essentially you have a constant flow of air, but only at the rate of what one of your six intake valves will allow so even flow to all six intake ports is a moot test in my drop out mechanical engineering mind.
I understand your point, but when is the last time you adjusted the valves?

I'm sure that model was for that component only, and not the system it functions as a part of. I'm not even sure where he got the image from.

I'm certain a dynamic model would show compression and decompression of the air charge causing turbulence and waves.

I agree.
Also you can notice that there's far less traces going to the first cylinder than the last.

I'm certain a dynamic model would show compression and decompression of the air charge causing turbulence and waves.

You'd be surprised. A dynamic model still only starts at the inlet and runs to the outlets. Then you can close off ends and run it again. I don't know of any softwares that will let you run through the pulses dynamically. Or any computer that could handle that level of processing on the fly either.

It works that way in my head then. ?

I wish I had a head and vehicle to do testing with now.

I wonder if JSP has data on this.

I may have a good testbed for this, my friend built an engine dyno, my engine is on it dialing it in. It already has a sheet metal intake manifold.

What would be best for measuring port velocity? I saw a photo of small tubes that insert in the air stream. I would think that venturis on each runner would be the most accurate, but difficult to assemble

What would be best for measuring port velocity? I saw a photo of small tubes that insert in the air stream. I would think that venturis on each runner would be the most accurate, but difficult to assemble

That would be a pitot tube, that's how you measure velocity on a flow bench

I understand your point, but when is the last time you adjusted the valves?

I'm sure that model was for that component only, and not the system it functions as a part of. I'm not even sure where he got the image from.

It was a simplified point i was attempting to make. I did reread my post and i see how it actually reads now. Lol
I was trying to talk about just the one port flow being more important than the overall flow through that manifold. As long as you always have positive pressure, that manifold, although it shows bad flow to #6 won't actually be as bad as displayed due to basically feeding the front half, then bank half of the intake ports at a time
I will say that a front feed manifold might have some slight turbulence as 124 close and air forces itself back to 356 but probably not enough for us to worry about. This would be solved by a feed point between 3/4 on the plenum or log.

Drasko

Back