intercoolers?

olred07

Diesels for Christ
Whats the best intercooler?
I like the banks ic whats yalls opinion?

Anything with an endtank that has a stronger bond to the core would be "better". The size of the spearco while it has a bar and plate core which many will say is "better" over tube and fin. Has the downside of it not passing as much air through the cooler to other important things like the radiator. A tube and fin core at this size will suffice. If the intercooler had to be smaller then bar and plate would be the way to go. I personally have something that Citydiesel made for a short time a few years ago. Its tube and fin. The banks tube kit is kinda a joke since 3.5 inch tubing still has to neck back down to 2.834 or whatever it is at the opening of the intake manifold. Both are roughly the same price. Its up to personal prefferance since neither has shown a dramatic power improvement while the vehicle isn't moving.

What about Joe Hellaman's intercooler what kind is it and what do yall think about it? Far has 12 valves go he's the man in my book, he knows what he's talking about and doesn't have to look it up to tell ya.
I like the banks because it uses bigger pipes and different boots. my opinion

Hellman's intercooler is a nice piece. It replaced the bank's intercooler in Unbroken's truck a couple years ago. But If I remember correctly it used a Stage 2 XP AFE air kit because of a different routing on the cold side pipe. I believe it is bar and plate.

we like the Banks IC, fit and finish is great. I have the city diesel IC on my truck, while its very nice and the price was right, fitment could have been better.

Hellmann's part has a bigger end tank on the driver side so the "snout" on intakes like the Airaid will have to be trimmed to work with it.
I've run one since I don't remember when and won't run anything else.

I have ran the speraco since 2007. No problems to date!

I have seen 2 banks intercooler blow apart at the tanks this summer alone. Not sure if it was from Nitrous backfire or what

Should I start listing the Spearco blow outs I've seen this year? LOL

So unbroken, your saying if i get a hellaman ic ill need to trim my intake to make it work?

Yes...due to the end tank not having the recess in it to fit the stock style intake.

so a factory intake i couldn't use, Correct?
I've got a S&B intake but haven't installed it.
What would you recommend with the Hellaman ic?
Thanks

Any intake will work....some will have to be modified though.

Thank you....... I'll probably be giving joe a call pretty soon.....

If bank's could figure out the right size material to make the 6mm 1.00 thread on they wouldn't rip out of the intake so easily. Again, Bar and Plate is "better" when you have to use a smaller cooler for fitment issuse. If you have a large surface area tube and fin will allow more air to flow through to important things like the radiator. However, Bar and Plate "marketing" gets you to open your wallet. I like flow to the radiator. Some people like bling. Personal preferance.

Hellman hands down. I have Richards old Banks, and it works pretty good, but if I were buying one today, I would def go with Joe's. I too have seen several spearco's that have blown open, just this year.

Back